Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?

Go down 
+43
KnottyEagle
matt270avian
charlieRobinson
knuckled1
BMD
Abaddon
BatMobile
madrivage
Eldo
Mikel
albertj
Tank
Jason
Snowdog
L67
DEMonte1997
Z-type
turtleman
bigriv0
1995 Riv
captshiner
Rickw
curious riv
BKRIV
Chicken
KillaKeninaRiv
Shintsu
rivwilly107
1998 Riv
dreww
98RIV7777
96RivSCMI
54_nailhead
BillBoost37
deekster_caddy
98riv
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
AA
SpaceBar
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
rivwilly107
Enthusiast
rivwilly107

Name : Jim
Merit : 0

FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Which is the mass airflow sensor?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 3:14 pm

I was going to clean mine, but im not sure where it is.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 4:08 pm

In the top of the throttle body. You most likely will need a security torx bit to remove the screws.
Back to top Go down
rivwilly107
Enthusiast
rivwilly107

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 4:21 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
In the top of the throttle body. You most likely will need a security torx bit to remove the screws.
Thanks Dave, found it.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

I'd be careful cleaning it, my dad tried to clean the MAF sensor on his Volvo 850 and it screwed it up and he had to buy another one. Nice $300 or so for one of those on his Volvo.
Back to top Go down
rivwilly107
Enthusiast
rivwilly107

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Shintsu wrote:
I'd be careful cleaning it, my dad tried to clean the MAF sensor on his Volvo 850 and it screwed it up and he had to buy another one. Nice $300 or so for one of those on his Volvo.
I checked around quite a bit , Cleaning is just spraying it down with contact cleaner. I read a number of posts on this forum, all were successfull at cleaning without damaging.Thanks for the heads-up though.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:01 am

You can use sensor safe TB cleaner, MAF cleaner and I've heard of contact cleaner.

When you do clean it..make sure the car is cold. That way the wire in the maf is also cold and shouldn't break from shock.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:13 am

BillBoost37 wrote:
You can use sensor safe TB cleaner, MAF cleaner and I've heard of contact cleaner.

When you do clean it..make sure the car is cold. That way the wire in the maf is also cold and shouldn't break from shock.

So you just take the cover off the sensor and spray it with the cleaner.

Bert:tavis:
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:36 am

[quote="ibmoses"]
BillBoost37 wrote:

So you just take the cover off the sensor and spray it with the cleaner.

Bert:tavis:

IIRC, the sensor pulls out with the cover removal, I THINK, only done it once a while back. Anyway, the sensor is removed from the TB before cleaning, not cleaned "in car". Don't be tempted to wipe anything, just spray it out thoroughly then let it dry before reinstalling.
Back to top Go down
rivwilly107
Enthusiast
rivwilly107

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 2:43 pm

BillBoost37 wrote:

How would you know if it broke? What would the car do/ not do? Just curious, I may have not let it cool enough.Car is running good as far as I can tell.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 pm

It would run like shit. Our Volvo idled horribly and sounded bad. You could tell something was wrong with it. If you've got it running without any problems then you're fine.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 pm

And you can see the wire. Inspect after cleaning.
Back to top Go down
rivwilly107
Enthusiast
rivwilly107

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Shintsu wrote:
It would run like shit. Our Volvo idled horribly and sounded bad. You could tell something was wrong with it. If you've got it running without any problems then you're fine.
Sounds like i'm fine then , Thanks Shintsu!
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 12:19 pm

I just went through this same thing with mine. I took it off and the MAF was flithy so i cleaned it, although it was carb cleaner but now the car is moving much better than before
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 12:54 pm

rivwilly107 wrote:
Shintsu wrote:
Sounds like i'm fine then , Thanks Shintsu!

Clean it if you want to know it's working properly. I bought a set of 'security torx' bits at AZ, popped it out and sprayed it with Mass Airflow Cleaner (NOT Carb Cleaner!!), had it back together in about 10 minutes start to finish, about $12 total. They do get dirty.

Also, while it's out remove the MAF screen (C-clip) and clean out the throttle body with a strong rag and a stick, and some carb cleaner (I said while the MAF sensor is OUT). The throttle plates and right behind get globbed up with EGR crap. All this will help your car idle smoother etc. (don't spray your MAF sensor with carb cleaner)
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 pm

^^^ I think I'll do this this weekend...
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 6:19 pm

what do you guy's do with the MAS when you do that homemade FWI made with with pvc? I was looking for the pictures that were posted once but can't seem to find them.
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Bill...you mean the IAT Sensor?
Back to top Go down
BKRIV
Enthusiast
BKRIV

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Is that what it is, Inlet air temp sensor? it 's on underside of OE air tube. I havent pulled anything apart yet but have seen applications with just a filter coming right off the throttle body and wondering what happens to that sensor?
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 7:16 am

When I installed my FWI, I used the Intense Flexible tubing so mounting my IAT had limited options...I drilled a 5/8" hole into the top of the fenderwell where the old stock air box used to be, so the sensor sits only 1/2" away from the filter, but still give an accurated temp reading inside the fenderwell.

Alot of guys here used PVC or Steel tubing are were able to mount their IAT's correctly (inside the tubing for a more accurate reading)

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/what-are-cai-fwi-t29.htm
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Derek, u said"(don't spray your MAF sensor with carb cleaner)"
Well I did just that before i read this. Now I'm gettin a p0102 code.
Dyu think I ruined it???
I unplugged the battery lastnight for about a hour and hooked it back up- checked the code today and i still have the code and a p0141 code now??? Are the two related?
btw i cleaned the MAF w/ MAF cleaner but i havent checked the code again
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 4:21 pm

May have to run the car a few times to get rid of the code, even if the MAF is clean now.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks AA.... Always appreciated
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:02 pm

c-taylor-6 wrote:
Derek, u said"(don't spray your MAF sensor with carb cleaner)"
Well I did just that before i read this. Now I'm gettin a p0102 code.
Dyu think I ruined it???

Hard to tell. MAF sensors are supposed to stay dry.

If it works again after a couple of days, you got lucky.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:32 pm

aww shit and i cleaned mine with carb cleaner too... sounds like im going to be at the junkyard again soon
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:30 am

code not cleared yet. It looks like Im stuck with a MAF sensor bill... Will it be ok for a couple weeks till I can afford it? I dont want to screw anything else up by waiting and still drivin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next