Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Wierd Electrical Short.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
agood1
Special

Merit : 0

Wierd Electrical Short. Empty
PostSubject: Wierd Electrical Short.   Wierd Electrical Short. EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 6:45 pm

I keep blowing the HVAC control fuse. Today I took the whole dash apart looking for a shorted wire and could not find one.
But I did find some wierd issues. Here they are.

I noticed while I had the dash apart, that the fuse would not blow....so I did some more testing and found the short has something to do with the headlight switch or the associated wiring. As soon as I plug the headlight switch back into the harness, Bam the fuse blows.

I disconnected the HVAC control panel and the fuse still blew. So that eliminates a short inside the control.
Then only way I can make it not blow is to leave the headlight switch disconneted....not a good thing.

So what does the HVAC control and the headlight switch have in common?
95 model
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Wierd Electrical Short.   Wierd Electrical Short. EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Have you modified the wiring in any way?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
agood1
Special

PostSubject: Re: Wierd Electrical Short.   Wierd Electrical Short. EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:20 pm

I have not...but I just bought the car....it appears it has has some electrical accessories added and removed at some time.

Just an added note. I was also have problem with the instrument panel lights....after many hours of work...I found very small bulb in the driver's door handle had the wires shorted together....I had hoped this would fix all the electrical issues...but did not correct the HVAC problem.....however, I do have dash lights again.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Wierd Electrical Short.   Wierd Electrical Short. EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 9:34 pm

I would guess an aftermarket alarm system that was connected to the parking lights to make them flash. Alarm system removed... with a wire left dangling somewhere? Or a cut from a scotch-lock connecter now left exposed?

Good luck, chasing this type of problem can get very frustrating... Don't be discouraged.
Back to top Go down
agood1
Special

PostSubject: Re: Wierd Electrical Short.   Wierd Electrical Short. EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing....I just need to find a way to detect the short without using fuses....I have a pile of blown fuses on the floor under the car.

I was thinking of soldering some wires to a 12 light bulb and the plugging the ends of the wires into the fuse socket. Then the bulb will light up while the short is still there..and maybe as I fumble around I can make the light go off, that would give me some idea of where the short is.

I just wonder if the light bulb will act as a high amp fuse and thus causing the circuit to overload.
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Tool for finding shorts.   Wierd Electrical Short. EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 7:37 pm

There is a short finder tool kit. Comes with a clicking circuit breaker and a gauge. Used to buy from snap-on or mac tools. I would check auto parts store or sears maybe cheaper.
Back to top Go down
vendetta
Enthusiast
vendetta

Name : Nick

PostSubject: Re: Wierd Electrical Short.   Wierd Electrical Short. EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 3:01 pm

in a old toyota that I had, there were wires touching behind the cd player and it cause the Hvac to stop working....

check for cd player wires touching any of the hvac stuff...

just an idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wierd Electrical Short.   Wierd Electrical Short. Empty

Back to top Go down

Wierd Electrical Short.
Page 1 of 1