Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Archangel
Rookie

Name : larry
Merit : 0

code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed Empty
PostSubject: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 4:32 pm

I have changed the cam sensor twice. Solves the problem for a while but then it is back. Running at 65MPH on flat ground i get a miss, not all the time but more so latlely. Press on the throttle a bit and it goes away, let off it comes back. It has been doing this for over a year and no one has been able to figure it out. Also at times when turning a corner or something like that and i get back into the gas, it hesitates. I don't know if this is part of the same problem but thought I would throw it out there anyway.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 5:42 pm

after replacing the cam sensor, did anyone ever do a 'case learn' for the PCM? It's necessary. Dealership should be able to do it, takes 3 seconds. If they are a good dealership it'll be free.
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 12:29 am

p0341 Camshaft sensor ? I had that on my car turned out to bad wire from icm to pcm. reran a new wire no more problem
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 9:24 am

Archangel - you might want to replace the *crank* sensor if you have more than 7 years or 100000 miles on your Riv. 1/2 hour to 1 hour if you have/get a balancer puller. jack up car - Take off rt front (pass side) wheel - take out inner fender (plastic clips, not a big deal) - pull the balancer - replace crank sensor (held on with a couple screws). New crank sensor is less than $40 at NAPA. Suggest you don't buy the cheapest one.

What happens - the crank sensor is a hall effect device, when they are past a certain age they quit functioning properly when warm.

Another thing I wonder about is your fuel pump. That can be tested by dealer with a pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and a Tech II (to command the pump on and see waht pressure it delivers).

I am not saying this is your problem. I am saying it's a distinct possibility given you have replaced cam sensor twice. I suspect cam sensor is not your problem, maybe a wiring problem like MIke pointed out... or the crank sensor.

Any other ideas guys?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Archangel
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 pm

Im leaning toward a bad wire. I pressure washed the engine the other day and all of a sudden the thing started missing and the MIL light came on. I did not get near the coil module so I do not think it was that. Also, the second time I had the cam sonsor changed the MIL light came back on the next day. Took it back to the shop and they could not find anything wrong and marked it up to a loose connection. How hard was it to run the new wire?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 9:27 pm

did you ever get a case learn?
Back to top Go down
Archangel
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 7:45 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
did you ever get a case learn?

yep, still there and the miss at cruise has returned
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 4:29 pm

This problem is a wire. I replaced the cam sensor had a case learn done and the problem wasnt fixed. I had the ignition module replaced and they checked a couple other things then checked the wiring from the outside. Nothing fixed it.

I read around the internet a little bit and it turned out that a couple guys had it checked and the wiring was bad from the inside i guess? So I brought it to buick and they fixed it that day.

I would go straight to the wiring with this code than anything else because everytime I have heard about it it turns out to be bad wiring.
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed   code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed Empty

Back to top Go down

code P041 cam sensor in memory car misfires at cruise speed
Page 1 of 1