Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood

Go down 
+15
charlieRobinson
96_Juggernaut
Sir Psycho Sexy
matt270avian
nasty95
AA
SuperRiv07
Jason
jimmyriv
rivwilly107
deekster_caddy
99Rivman
oldsman105
ibmoses
Chicken
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Okay, so I've done a few mods to the Riv, spent over $2500.00 in the last 2 months or so....now that the car is running great, I need to save some money for my move back to Montana, then I can really devote myself to the engine...

In the mean time, I'm going to clean her up real good... inside, outside and engine bay....my question is, has any of you taken your car to one of those pull in car washes that have "engine degreaser" on the selector?

Do they work? Are they safe? Anything I need to do as prep before I wash down the engine bay? Why is the sky blue? What's that grey shit in an Etch-a-Sketch?
Can you drink that black shit in the middle of a magic 8-ball?....you can't? well fuck.

Last edited by Chicken on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Me, I dont wash under the hood of these type vehicles unless I am going to sell the vehicle or unless there is a big mess from a oil leak or something that has to be cleaned up before the vehicle can be worked on... no

For spot cleaning I use brake cleaner and a rag.

Too many electrical connections under the hood that dont like water. bonk

My brother detailed vehicles for years. He would mix a commercial degreaser with some " Blue Streak" and use a siphon air gun to blow it under the hood and then use a hot water pressure washer to clean it off. Just dont get the pressure washer very close to the components.
You can buy a few cans of Gunk and hose it down, let it soak a few minutes and then rinse with the pressure washer. After your done drive the car for at least thirty minutes to dry and dry her out good.

My brother also introduced me to the concept of:
Race car spelled backwards is Race car. bonk

Bert
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 4:52 pm

so its a bad thing? okay....I'll just spot clean it like you said then cover with a couple of coats of varnish...
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm sure lots of people here wash under the hood with no problem. I'm just skeered of wetting all that stuff unless I am going to be showing the car or selling it. Or unless it has had a oil leak or mud splashed up under there.

But on the other hand youse guys have a lot more nasty winters and weather up north which might contribute to needing to clean under there...

Down here, its not really needed.
tavis
Bert
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 5:00 pm

I have cleaned my engine with the engine degreaser. I would avoid the alternator but the rest you can douse with water.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 5:00 pm

oldsman105 wrote:
I have cleaned my engine with the engine degreaser. I would avoid the alternator but the rest you can douse with water.
agree

This works great for me:

FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood Lg_eb110

I wouldn't use the high pressure at the car wash to spray under the hood for the most part though, I have a hand held wand that hooks to the hose and to my compressor so it isn't a real "high" pressure, just more than a standard hose.

It works for me:
FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood P2210010

Last edited by 99Rivman on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 5:01 pm

yeah..my engine is pretty grimey in places....oil, salt, gunk, blood, small pieces of bones, hair...

wow....nice!....

so I can spray it down just don't go full metal jacket on it....thanks.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 5:50 pm

I also use the Gunk engine brite. Let it soak in for 15 minutes, then hose off with gentle water spray. I usually lose my gauges for a half-day after doing this FYI. Somewhere there is an unsealed connector, but everything still works.

The grey shit in an etch a sketch is iron filings, and it draws by dragging a magnetic tip around the static-charged surface. The sky is blue because that is the light frequency we see after the refraction of the sun's rays through the moisture in the atmosphere, and something else about color and crap. Red sky at night, sailor's delight! Red sky at morning, sailors take warning! It's really true, and has to do with barometric pressure and the amount of water in the air and some other crap.
Back to top Go down
rivwilly107
Enthusiast
rivwilly107

Name : Jim
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Chicken wrote:
yeah..my engine is pretty grimey in places....oil, salt, gunk, blood, small pieces of bones, hair...
Have they found the mechanic who went missing after he worked on your car yet? dunno
Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 11:48 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
I also use the Gunk engine brite. Let it soak in for 15 minutes, then hose off with gentle water spray. I usually lose my gauges for a half-day after doing this FYI. Somewhere there is an unsealed connector, but everything still works.

The grey shit in an etch a sketch is iron filings, and it draws by dragging a magnetic tip around the static-charged surface. The sky is blue because that is the light frequency we see after the refraction of the sun's rays through the moisture in the atmosphere, and something else about color and crap. Red sky at night, sailor's delight! Red sky at morning, sailors take warning! It's really true, and has to do with barometric pressure and the amount of water in the air and some other crap.

I use this stuff too.I dont think real high pressure is needed or good for the electronic stuff. Thanks deekstercaddy for the other info, you're right and well informed....... agree
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 am

If you're moving to the northern part of Montana, feel free to come have a pint in Moose Jaw some Friday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 3:26 am

so that gunk stuff will make my engine bay look like the one in the pic?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 8:47 am

Jason wrote:
If you're moving to the northern part of Montana, feel free to come have a pint in Moose Jaw some Friday.

I'm right below you....Glasgow, Montana
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 4:19 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
so that gunk stuff will make my engine bay look like the one in the pic?
Well not exactly...there was some cleaning and scrubbing involved also!
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 5:29 pm

ok kool but the gunk helps right
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 8:41 pm

SuperRiv07 wrote:
ok kool but the gunk helps right
Yes, I used Gunk on this one, around two and a half cans, and a little bit of scrubbing, and this is the difference.

99Rivman wrote:
Engine Compartment...BEFORE
FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood P1010013

Engine Compartment...AFTER
FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood P1010014
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 8:46 pm

I've also had good luck with this product:

FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood 1258367

Sprayed on my valve covers and dip-stick, and they looked like new!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 3:41 am

wow thats a big difference, Im definitly gonna have to invest in some
Back to top Go down
nasty95
Special

Name : Jeff Teteak

PostSubject: degreasing my engine   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi all new to rivs but not doing my own work. Anyway, I have quite a few gaskets to replace and really want to decrease the engine and engine compartment before I start.Any info on how to go about that would be much appreciated as I'm I'm a little nervous about hitting it with a pressure washer. Any info would b great. Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Just cover up anything important with a plastic bag (alternator, harnesses, etc.). Then hit it with a light spray of water and degreaser. I actually just did mine this morning. It's easier if you do it on a hill, whatever water doesn't run off will run off if you turn the car around.
Back to top Go down
nasty95
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!!!
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 10:09 pm

There is this stuff called Purple Power which i have found to do a great job. Better than gunk engine degreaser IMO.
Back to top Go down
nasty95
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 am

Cool. I'll check it out. Gonna bring it by the carwash later today and give it a spray down.
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 pm

I use Simple Green, less invasive than alot of other degresers
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Winter Engine Bay Cleaning   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Do you guys in the colder climates spray clean your engine bays in the winter?

It's below freezing, but if I left the engine running, would it be safe to power wash the engine bay clean?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next