Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood

Go down 
+15
charlieRobinson
96_Juggernaut
Sir Psycho Sexy
matt270avian
nasty95
AA
SuperRiv07
Jason
jimmyriv
rivwilly107
deekster_caddy
99Rivman
oldsman105
ibmoses
Chicken
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 7:15 pm

No.Not advisable to wash a hot engine in cold weather.Spray Gunk Engine cleaner all over the cold engine,avoiding sensitive electronics.With a long bristle brush get into all visible areas that need a good scrubbing.Rinse.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 7:26 pm

I want to clean the salt out of the bay. Should I just wait until it gets warmer?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Well,yeah.Chemicals dont to too good in the cold.They thicken & grease is less likely to give up it's post,in a perfect world anyway.
It's safe to spray the worst of it off with water when the engine's cold.Save your Gunk money for later.
Dont worry too much about a dirty engine in the winter anyway,save the job for spring.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 pm

I've always figured you'd be asking for problems spraying the engine compartment in the winter unless you had a specific need and a heated garage. If something is annoying you, dump a milk jug of warm water on the area and try to avoid any electrical or rubber that could freeze. I'm in an area with prolonged cold and regular dips below zero. I don't go to the car wash unless it's 20 or warmer.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 2:33 pm

I did spray the engine bay a few times in winter. I wouldn't recommend it. I had weird cluster issues and 'strange things' happening for a few days after the cleaning. Just wait for warmer weather IMO.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Just me, but I've never sprayed down the engine in my car. I prefer to clean areas locally with a rag, cleaner and water from a spray bottle if needed. I've found WD40 works well as a cleaner/degreaser that leaves very little dirt residue. For stubborn stains I use a concentrated orange cleaner and rinse with a small amount of water, then dry with a towel. When you replace a component in the engine bay, take time to clean the area since you have access.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Suggest you wait until spring and all road salts are washed from streets. Otherwise you are still going to get road salt in your clean engine bay from wet roads. Remember rust starts slower in cold weather, speeds up in warmer weather.

Since moving to Canada learned once daily temps hit about 40 F, time to remove snow tires as rubber compound wears faster in heat, power spray underbody once spring rains clean street of salt dust, then consider a rust treatment application (I have used Krown for many years with great sucess - do a web search on best products). Then I send my cars to an auto detailer to clean all the little nooks.

Living in a snow climate can be hard on our autos. That is why I garage store my Riv from late Nov. to early April until spring rains wash away street salt dust. I drive my 2011 Camaro winters but following the above spring cleaning ritual underbody body is still rust free. My 1998 Riviera, never driven on wet salted streets, underbody still looks factory new. I rust treat the Riv every two years as my underground parking garage during winters can get damp and salt dust builds up until they power wash the parking garage in May.

Just my insight from Canada.
Back to top Go down
95riviboy93
Rookie

Name : Eric
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 4:31 pm

What kind of brush or rags do you guys use for scrubbing ?
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2016 11:53 am

95riviboy93 wrote:
What kind of brush or rags do you guys use for scrubbing ?

Go to a dollar store and pick a selection with different head angles and bristle configurations. You might want a toilet brush, too, as it has a long handle. Tooth brushes are handy, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood   FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Degreasing Engine & Cleaning Under The Hood
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2