Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

problem # 2 front main seal blew (see pg2)

Go down 
+10
BillBoost37
'96reese
turtleman
manofmany
ibmoses
ewolfe0050
TonySmooth89
deekster_caddy
Chicken
Mr.Riviera
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

problem # 2 front main seal blew (see pg2) Empty
PostSubject: problem # 2 front main seal blew (see pg2)   problem # 2 front main seal blew (see pg2) EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 1:30 pm

i was out taking stuff to my storage unit in preparation for moving this Wednesday. i started the car, put it in reverse, and noticed a noise that sounded like a really bad s/c coupler...only a lot louder. switched gears to see if it would go away. nope.
here is where my diagnoses started: I popped the hood and noticed the noise was coming from the passenger side, everything looked intact (pulleys, tensioners, belts). i limped it home about 2 miles and noticed the noise would go away if i was giving it throttle above ~1500rpm. i didnt drive hard to see what would happen at WOT, but as long as i kept my foot on the throttle when stopped it wouldn't make the sound. but if i let it slip down to 1000rpm or lower (idle) the horrible rattleng comes back.
i got home ok and took off all the idlers and tensioner i could. all are in great shape. i pulled off the s/c belt and rant he car to eliminate that. it still rattles. a/c or no a/c it still does it. my PS pump and WP are both less than 2 years old.
so that leave what? harmonic balancer.
i am going to take a video of it and post it up in a few minuites. any and all help is apreciated. i really cant afford a new engine, but it sounds like something serious broke. no SES, no noticable driveability problem, no symptoms untill today when it stated making the noise.
thank you.
Matthew

Last edited by Mr.Riviera on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

problem # 2 front main seal blew (see pg2) Empty
PostSubject: Re: problem # 2 front main seal blew (see pg2)   problem # 2 front main seal blew (see pg2) EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 1:42 pm