Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android

Go down 
+25
dreww
LT1Squirrel
dboydakid
charlieRobinson
Mr.Riviera
nebstewart07
J. Chris Davis
Eldo
GMFreak8
Rickw
96RivSCMI
98riv
99 Riviera 99
TonySmooth89
ewolfe0050
1wickedninja
Chicken
T Riley
IBx1
Shintsu
BoattailBob
AA
deekster_caddy
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Torque Android App Review   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 7:51 pm

I had 15 bucks laying around, so I bought this app ($5) and a bluetooth OBD II scanner (~$10). After waiting for the scanner to come from China, I got it and tried it out today.

The Good: You can read and clear most codes. Accurate real time info on pretty much everything (RPM, temperature, speed, acceleration, etc.). Cheap compared to buying an actual code scanner. Maps and graphs show where you were, how fast you were going, highest RPM, highest speed, most G's pulled, etc.

The Bad: It didn't tell me anything about my airbag light (I didn't really expect it to). The bluetooth module can be a little bit finnicky, especially when you go to show it off to your friends.

I plan on trying out some acceleration runs and dialing everything in tomorrow as far as my car's profile (you have to enter the weight, displacement, how much gas you have, how big your tank is, etc). Overall if you have an android device I highly suggest this app. I plan on buying an android headunit over the summer to be used with this instead of my phone.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Best thing that app/scanner will do for you is display knock values. Everything outside of that is just novelty.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:51 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
Best thing that app/scanner will do for you is display knock values. Everything outside of that is just novelty.

I like to monitor many parameters - STFT, LTFT, trans fluid temp and more. Not a novelty at all - quite useful data if you have begun modding. Trans fluid temp is never a 'novelty'. You want to know... you just don't know you want to yet.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:55 am

I guess what I was trying to say, is, visualizing the knock sensor's values is most critical. At least to me, anyways.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:05 am

Most of the stuff is admittedly a novelty. However there are some useful parameters you can monitor. Update on the app. The trip reset button causes the engine to bog down and the oil light to come on.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:06 am

matt270avian wrote:
Most of the stuff is admittedly a novelty. However there are some useful parameters you can monitor. Update on the app. The trip reset button causes the engine to bog down and the oil light to come on.

LOL no it does not. The app is output only. It only displays parameters. It's not telling your engine or PCM to do anything. It's a one-way street, man.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:12 am

The only thing my app can actually do is clear codes. It can not effect anything else like Charlie says. Everything else is just information being provided to the app.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:16 am

^affect
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:26 am

Grammar Nazi razz
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:41 am

charlieRobinson wrote:

The app is output only. It only displays parameters. It's not telling your engine or PCM to do anything. It's a one-way street, man.

So the torque app can't clear codes?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

It can. It cleared mine just fine. It's just the trip reset that wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:44 am

Then it is definitely not a "one way street"... If it can send commands to clear codes, it can send anything it wants to the PCM. The question is what else did they program it to be able to send?
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:51 am

The torque app is only able to clear codes. Everything else is information it gives you. I have the Torque app and the PLX OBDII reader. I'm pretty sure I've used the trip reset and never had a problem. I can check it out when I go to lunch in an hour.

I checked mine during lunch and it doesn't do anything to the car. That trip on the program should not even be getting any information from the car anyway. It most likely uses your phones GPS.
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

Name : daryl
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Im wondering if theres an app that could read KR boost etc
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 10:13 pm

rolleyes

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 10:17 pm

highwaywarrior wrote:
Im wondering if theres an app that could read KR boost etc
There's an app for that.
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Let me rephrase that before before people get all uppity and shit... I have a samsung galaxy tablet and an ipod touch, which torque app seems to be the best in your experiences
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:06 pm

There's only 1 Torque app i'm aware of for Droid. Get that one. You are going to love it!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:13 pm

That looks awesome thanks
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Just a little warning for everyone out there;
Don't buy the cheap bluetooth adapters off of eBay. They can (and in my case will) cause issues. Personally my car would not start with the adapter inserted and would drive weirdly with it (flashing lights and juddering mainly). A quote from Torque's website.

Quote :
Generic bluetooth adapter from ebay, generally alright but some can suffer from build quality issues affecting reliability, and causing strange things to happen like engines refusing to start. Try to avoid if you can

Read more: http://torque-bhp.com/software/torque-android-obd2-adapters/
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Only problem I had with the cheap ones was that it wouldn't give me much information. The PLX is so much better and worth the money.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 pm

I would, but for the price of the Kiwi I would rather just get an aeroforce.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 5:35 pm

i got lucky no probs out of mine
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:42 pm

New info: Don't buy any adapter that claims to be an ELM327 Version 1.5. Version 1.5 doesn't actually exist, it's just a marketing ploy to get you to buy the "latest and greatest". Get a 1.3 if you're just going to use it for diagnostics or get a 1.4 if you plan to leave it permanently connected (1.4 has a smart power saving mode).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android   Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Automotive Apps for iPhone & Android
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next