Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Newer Scanning Apps and Connections

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kmorris
Rookie

Name : Kyle
Merit : 2

Newer Scanning Apps and Connections Empty
PostSubject: Newer Scanning Apps and Connections   Newer Scanning Apps and Connections EmptySat Oct 29, 2016 10:41 am

I am looking to monitor KR as I work towards a smaller SC pulley.  Almost everything on here about scanning is 3-5 years old and I am sure the technology has changed drastically.  I was hoping to be able to get a bluetooth OBD II connector to monitor on my phone.  

What are your thoughts on this subject in 2016?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Newer Scanning Apps and Connections Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newer Scanning Apps and Connections   Newer Scanning Apps and Connections EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 3:28 pm

It's kind of up to you. You can read the Riv OBDII port with one or another of the Bluetooth OBDII dongles along with appropriate software for your smartphone or laptop.

Think of it this way: The object you are scanning (the Riviera) has not changed, and people who've already paid for their readers/scanners aren't that likely to change unless they are in the auto repair trade, wherein the technology in the newer autos has changed in ways that obsolete the old diagnostic equipment.

Because the Riv has not changed, you can do about anything to a Riv with a Tech I (don't need a Tech II). You can get the OBDI - OBDII cord for working on the 95 Rivs (see http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-12-Pin-OBD1-to-16-Pin-OBD2-Convertor-Adapter-Cable-For-Diagnostic-Scanner-New-/272287719408) provided you have the right scanner.

So... you probably already know what you need to know, combined with the scanning posts that are on this site, to monitor KR and a bunch of other things (coolant temps, fuel, and such).

Albertj
Back to top Go down

Newer Scanning Apps and Connections
Page 1 of 1