Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Missing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

Missing Empty
PostSubject: Missing   Missing EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 9:23 pm

The GTP is driving real stupid again. It's doing a similar thing to the last time it did like this which the problem then was a clogged fuel injector. They replaced them so I can't see how that's the problem again. Recorded a video although the blower is way louder than I realized due to the CAI so part of the video you can't hear it as well. If you listen close you can hear it sputtering and idling with a miss. Oh and all the bobbling up and down the first time I stick it out the windshield is from the car vibrating, I let it rest on the windshield.
Click here to watch 'GTP-missing'

The whole car is sputtering and even revving it to an RPM and holding it it continues to miss. This was a cold start and it did this same thing when it was warm. It almost sounds like it has a knock under the hood when in drive. My dad replaced a spark plug wire he though was bad but that didn't solve it. He's yet to replace the rest but I don't know that will fix anything.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Missing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing   Missing EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Like to help you but can't see your vid.

Did dad do some work and maybe got plug wires back on in wrong order, or some such?

Did you pull the plugs one by each and look at condition? That will tell which ones are missing (the ones coated with engine oil and/or gas) or damaged for some reason.

Please have a look and post for us what you see.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Missing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing   Missing EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:14 pm

Odd, the link works for me. What error does it show you?

He didn't start messing with the wires until it started doing this. He said he gave it some gas on the expressway and it started doing this and then he just drove it home and parked it. Since it's my dad's car he does all that stuff and I can tell you, he usually doesn't like doing all that. He did buy new sparkplugs and stuff (For like the third time now, I'm still on whatever the ones were I got some time ago).

This almost mirrors the last time the injector was clogged but that just doesn't seem possible since they just replaced them. I really don't get it seeing as he has the same motor as me and mine has never done this. Is it possible the aftermarket PCM is making more gas flow to the cylinders than it should and might be clogging them faster (Or at all) due to the increased flow or something?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Missing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing   Missing EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 6:53 am

I had to fix a car where this kept happening - it turned out that there was so much crap in the gas tank it kept ruining injectors, even after we replaced fuel filters, injectors, etc

Try unplugging one injector at a time and see if you can figure out which one was causing the miss.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Missing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing   Missing EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Sorry to sound dumb, but where are the injectors? Do they just pull out like the spark plug wires? Any disassembly required to get to them?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Missing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing   Missing EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 2:25 pm

The injectors are on the intake manifold side of the valve covers. They are plumbed into the fuel rails, and you can disconnect the wires by pulling the little wire clip off with some needlenose and just unplugging the wire. One over each cylinder...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Missing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missing   Missing Empty

Back to top Go down

Missing
Page 1 of 1