Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

missing chip in the key

Go down 
+2
Rickw
KillaKeninaRiv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

missing chip in the key Empty
PostSubject: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Hey I mustve dropped my keys the other day and I noticed that the little black chip is missing from my keys now. The car starts and runs fine, so what is it used for and is it something I need to be replacing in the long run?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Someone has probably already added the in-line resistor in your ignition circuit wiring. Otherwise the car wouldn't start. No need to worry if it works without the chip/resistor in the key.
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 2:46 pm

whitout the chip actualy the securety light will keep flaching...and will cut off the fuel pump electricity.

mine cars ignission key hole is so loos that i can pull out the key while the car runs.
the car will keep running but securety light will come on
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 7:37 am

oohhhh...because there was an aftermarket alarm installed with a remote starter (which i dont have) so maybe that has something to do with the fact that the car runs fine without the chip then. i just didnt want to be out in the middle of bumfuck michigan and then surprise! a security feature activates
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyTue Jul 12, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi,
Anyone know where I can get a new set of blank keys (ignition and door) for my '98 Riv?
My girlfriend managed to lose my extra set, fob and all.
I have found them on eBay in the past, but no longer.

Damn.
Thanks in advance.
Denim
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyWed Jul 13, 2022 11:30 am

denim wrote:
Hi,
Anyone know where I can get a new set of blank keys (ignition and door) for my '98 Riv?
My girlfriend managed to lose my extra set, fob and all.
I have found them on eBay in the past, but no longer.

Damn.
Thanks in advance.
Denim

If they were snakes, you'd hope they were not poisonous hahaha. They are all still there on eBay, and your bigger local locksmiths probably have them too not to mention GM dealers. "VATS Key Blank Double Sided." https://www.ebay.com/itm/224739281157 for instance.

At my dealer, they have cut me replacement keys provided I present the registration card and ask at the parts desk. Just takes a few minutes. Won't do it by phone under any circumstances. You may have to ask, "can you cut me a new key if I bring in my title or registration card?" NOTE - I was told some dealers no longer have the machines but in those cases they can usually refer you to a local/regional locksmith.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyWed Jul 13, 2022 4:14 pm

Found them! ... ordering two of everything smile
Thanks Albert.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyWed Jul 13, 2022 6:57 pm

Found the key set around the corner next to the highway. Looks like a Mack ran them down.
Scratched and bent, both keys work.

Not so much, the remote...

Oops. Thought I could post a shot. Nope.
Back to top Go down
dAriel49
Amateur

Name : Jarred
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 11:15 pm

My uncle acquired this Riv with a missing chip in the keys. The previous owner said it didn't trigger the security light (yet). It seems better to bring it to the local dealer. The new rotors and tires from 4Wheelonline are scheduled this weekend so he can take it to the dealer next week.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key EmptyThu Sep 15, 2022 4:39 pm

dAriel49 wrote:
My uncle acquired this Riv with a missing chip in the keys. The previous owner said it didn't trigger the security light (yet). It seems better to bring it to the local dealer. The new rotors and tires from 4Wheelonline are scheduled this weekend so he can take it to the dealer next week.

If the chip's missing form the key and the Security system did not trip as a result, then somebody (an owner before the previous owner) already modified the wiring harness by installing a specific-value resistor.

Your local dealer may not (or may) work on it, but it never hurts to ask.

The local dealer techs may focus more on warranty servicing for cars still in warranty (generally the emissions warranty) so you may want to locate a good, independent mechanic who has an interest in GM cars with the 3800 engine. (after 1994 or so the G platform cars stayed fairly similar)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: missing chip in the key   missing chip in the key Empty

Back to top Go down

missing chip in the key
Page 1 of 1