Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

sinister performance custom chip

Go down 
+4
deekster_caddy
albertj
L67
robotennis61
8 posters
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

sinister performance custom chip Empty
PostSubject: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 3:52 pm

ive contacted sinister performance and they informed me that they can custom make a dual chip set up. what this is its a " mem -cal adapter. it would allow me to run my fans at 160 deg with acompanying t-stat in the brutal vegas summers. and to switch in a chip made to run the fans at 180 deg with the 180 deg t-stat for the mild vegas winters. all i have to do is remove the 160 chip from the mem-cal circuit board (moats-G4) and instal the 180. all this with ,egr delete,cat delete,cai,provisions for higher air flow from ported heads and manifold. what do you think?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Well from what I've read, the biggest issue with the 160* is that the Knock Sensors aren't programmed to operate until the engine reaches 162*, so unless you are 100% sure you are knock free, you're basically risking your engine from grenading.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:02 pm

if it floats your boat go for it... but be sure they proram that PCM to enable the knock sensor at lower temp say 135-140F.

if you are running too hot in the summer consider replacing your radiator if it is old - the aluminum develops a layer of aluminum oxide internally that tends to insulate - so it does not dissipate heat as well over time. For some drivers this does not matter, for others it does.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:04 pm

L67, I agree for '96 and up, but I'm not sure how that applies to Series 1 setups. There was just somebody else having trouble we think due to their 160 tstat in a '95.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:15 pm

great advice. ive been running a 160 t-stat for two months now in the vegas summer and the needle hovers at the middle mark,sometimes it creeps a little past but not near as bad as with the 180. and the rad is new. ive emailed ryan @ sinister and asked about the knock sensor being reprogramed too. ill keep any one interested posted....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
great advice. ive been running a 160 t-stat for two months now in the vegas summer and the needle hovers at the middle mark,sometimes it creeps a little past but not near as bad as with the 180. and the rad is new. ive emailed ryan @ sinister and asked about the knock sensor being reprogramed too. ill keep any one interested posted....

Do you run the A/C? Do your fans run? If so, your temp should stay nearer to 160. But, the A/C may only call for low-speed fans, it may take high temps to kick the fans into high.

You could try jumping the fans with full 12 V for a drive and see if the temp locks into 160, that would answer for certain if a fan reprogramming will work for you.

However, please keep in mind that these engines were designed to have the coolant circulate at 195. Yes, even in hot weather.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 pm

the fans run with the ac. ive gotten out popped the hood and was blown away with the heat and the fans were not taking up the call! when you say "jump the fans with full 12v" what do you mean?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:53 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
the fans run with the ac. ive gotten out popped the hood and was blown away with the heat and the fans were not taking up the call! when you say "jump the fans with full 12v" what do you mean?

Well if your PCM still calls for the fans to run at 195*, then the tstat isn't really doing as much especially in the brutal heat. The best way to take advantage of colder tstats is to reprogram the fan turn on temps to a lower number to keep the engine running colder. But since the 95s aren't tuner accessible, its not something thats easy to do.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:56 pm

i hear ya L67. but sinister can reprogram the chip to do this. they really sound like they know what they are doing..and they will work with me if needed...
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:58 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
i hear ya L67. but sinister can reprogram the chip to do this. they really sound like they know what they are doing..and they will work with me if needed...

Well if thats the case then it sounds good. Just make sure to reprogram the knock sensors as others have said yay
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 pm

robotennis61 wrote:

I mean run your own wire to the fans. You could probably do it with some alligator clips (on a fused wire of course), one to + and one to -. If you aren't electrically inclined, skip it. Actually, you would probably need 2 sets of wires, one for each fan.

It would answer the question of whether or not your radiator is able to keep up with a 160 tstat, which it probably can with the proper fan programming.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: sinister performance   sinister performance custom chip EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 2:37 am

i just installed a sinister performance chip in my 95 rivi. Huge difference! i can now chirp the tire at mid throttle,the car runs cooler.ive not had the opportunity to test my new rev limiter on the highway but I'm going to as soon as i can. it was programed for a CAI,cat delete, and exceptions for ,mildly ported manifolds,intake manifolds. Night and Day! i will put some more seat time in and keep those interested informed
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 3:54 am

The '95s still used an EPROM?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 4:03 am

yap!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 4:23 am

You lucky devil, you!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 5:10 am

YES! its the 95s revenge!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 5:35 am

robotennis61 wrote:
YES! its the 95s revenge!

thumbsup lmfao
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 8:23 am

I've heard good things about sinister tunes for series one. Its on my to-do list.

What did you get you shift points and rev limiter set to?

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 3:36 am

I think he set it at 5000 or so.i can bury the needle in every gear and the tranny pops into the next gear. I've gone well past 120 mph with no sign of the riv wanting to slow down. ill pay closer attention to the revs @ speed,but when i took her up there IIRC, my front end alignment being so shagged, began to shake like a bitch so i slowed her down. with the sin perf chip the engine is really willing now. when i stomp on her i really leave cars in my wake and she just howls down the highway with what seems like no end to her top speed. she just keeps climbing. be interesting when my new boots and meats are put on and an alignment is done.should be nice>>>>also had the ecm re programed for the 180 tstat. engine stays nice and warm...also had her re programed for a higher flow exhaust,haven't installed the exhaust yet, but when i do she should perform even better. and when i have the bucks for the sqrivi bumper,ill fab a true CAI through the bottom of the bumper and even better still! maybe if i explained to my land lord that a bumper is a prerequisite to middle age ,he will let this month slide?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 8:56 am

Seems like plenty of fun is possible with Series I. I solute you guys who are figuring out ways to get around the roadblocks!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:56 am

Ooh this sounds like it could be useful to me... maybe come even before the Meth injection. How much gains are we looking at for how many dollars? If its a good bang for your buck, hook a brotha up. Only thing is I only run a 180 t stat. the car sits all winter and our summers are'nt stagnantly hot here in Alberta.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 am

the mem-cal chip ran me around $60 or so.you can send him the original that he will reprogram,or he can make one up from his stock,in which case you would have to send him a deposit that he would refund when you send him the old mem-cal. you can ask him to reprogram anyway you want. ryan over at sinister performance will advise you if something wont work for the riv. the guy is cool and will work with you. he sent me a parameter data sheet noting everything he did for the reprogramming(that i accidentally deleted) .it was very thorough. i havnt had her dynoed so i cant say how many hps i got,but she is way stronger now.
Back to top Go down
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:22 am

Whoa cheap! Contact info??? This sounds like it could be well worth my while. And a lot less money than a $350 meth kit. The meth kit I can get in the winter and install it last anyways.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:56 am

Hometown Hero wrote:
Whoa cheap! Contact info??? This sounds like it could be well worth my while. And a lot less money than a $350 meth kit. The meth kit I can get in the winter and install it last anyways.

http://www.gmtuners.com/

as I said before, I've heard nothing but good things about Ryan.

PostSubject: Re: sinister performance custom chip   sinister performance custom chip Empty

Back to top Go down

sinister performance custom chip
Page 1 of 1