Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Power Window Problems

Go down 
+44
96rivie
ghpcnm
DEMonte1997
manofmany
LARRY70GS
Mr.Riviera
ZEP
Jayrydingslab
Chuckly
kcc001
bigdave
nebstewart07
Eldo
Hometown Hero
Abaddon
98riv
flyineagle96
Northeast
robotennis61
BMD
florence_x
3.8 Riviera
playa
woggy
riv_problems96
Matt08_hcm
1995 Riv
Rickw
albertj
54_nailhead
BrokenDownInTheYard
rivman96
1998 Riv
deekster_caddy
Shintsu
TonySmooth89
¤DoughBoy¤
AA
ibmoses
'96reese
Jason
SpaceBar
Jack the R
L67
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Got in the car today after a long day from school and I wanted to hear the motor as I was driving through the parking lot. So I roll the window down a little and I was like "Yeaaah, listen to that motor!". Then it donned on me - my driver window works again!

My question now - why? What was the problem? What is it that made it broke that one day and perfectly fine now as it always was? Very strange, and I did beat on the door the day it stopped working in case something got bumped around in there.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:27 pm

A switch going bad can operate intermittantly. Odds are the switch IS the problem.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:33 pm

...I so don't want to take that door panel off though if it's working. That will be a pain in the ass and my dad is usually one to help me so I don't mess something up. That would mean working in time for him to look at it. So are odds possible it could break down or what?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:38 pm

Sure, it could fail at any time, or not for a long time.
Back to top Go down
rivman96
Enthusiast
rivman96

Name : Cameron
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 11:48 am

My drivers' side window motor went out a month or so ago. I went to a junkyard and got a motor out of an Aurora, didnt take but 45 mins or so to install, and now works great.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Fix it while the weather is nice. Because boy does it suck when your window gets stuck in the winter...
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 6:01 pm

How do I know for sure it's the switch and not the motor that stopped working temporarily?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 6:55 pm

In my experience, if the motor is done, it's done. A switch can give you an early warning sign of it's doom.
Back to top Go down
BrokenDownInTheYard
Rookie
BrokenDownInTheYard

Name : Autumn
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 4:59 pm

ok so the door panel removal diagram is really helpful! thanks Jack!

My problem is slightly different though.
My passenger window is stuck up.
I dont think its a motor or switch though I think its just off track.
???
When I push the button to roll it down, only the back half of the window moves (about half an inch) the front of the window (by the side mirror) just kinda jiggles around... Then it stops. I assume its a cheap problem to fix, but I havent got the slightest idea how to do it. I'll most likely end up taking off the panel , but I know you really cant see the window that well.....

Soooooooo?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Take off the panel and feel around in there. IT soudns like it's jumped off the track or lift or whatever.

The 2nd Riv I looked at had a loose window (driver's side) too.
Back to top Go down
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

Name : Luke
Merit : 3

PostSubject: window switch issue?   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 4:28 pm

My windows quit working a month or so ago, figured it was the switch in the drivers door as it had been acting up for quite some time. I replaced the switch today with a used one and still no working windows. It's doing the same thing as before. Both window switches in the drivers door won't open the windows and it will lock the doors but not unlock them. Window switch in the passengers also doesn't work but will lock and unlock the doors. I had the breaker under the back seat tested at the dealership and they said it was fine. Is there anything else that could be wrong?
Back to top Go down
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 pm

I also read the other posts about taking the switch apart and cleaning it. I'm trying that with my now extra switch, but how exactly does it come apart, I don't want to break it...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 5:51 pm

hopefully some other list members chime in - I think its the wires flexing by the door hinges have rubbed thru and broken. ALmost sounds like a ground wire is open.

Other thoughs/experiences?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 6:42 pm

I agree with Albert, time to start chasing broken or frayed wiring and check all grounds.
Unless you have a heated garage in MN it might be tough to diagnose.
I would remove door panels and kick panels and inspect / test all wiring.
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Remove left door panel and inspect the inboard side of the main wiring harness that it has not rubbed through on the window metal hardware. Be sure to look at it all, it is hard to see sometimes. From center of door to where it goes through door. Good Luck
Back to top Go down
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks for the help guys, I'll start checking the wireing when it gets a little warmer out. Hopefully I can find something.
Back to top Go down
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:43 pm

i found 4 switches at the junkyard that were all bad, so one day i decided to crack it open to see what was going on . there are thin foil metal stripes that make contact with a metal peg. it looks like the stripes get burnt up over a period of time and are not able to make connect. i was able to clean them off with rubbing alchol and cotton swaps. that was the easy part the hard part was getting everything apart and put back together correct. the first i tried to crack open i destroyed and the second one was a lil better but not by much. i just took the other 2 switches and threw them away.
Back to top Go down
Matt08_hcm
Special
Matt08_hcm

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Omg 96reese thats whats wrong with mine. the foil thing is black im gonna clean it and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 9:27 am

So it finally warmed up enough that I could check into my window issue and see if I had any broken wires and what not. My windows started working again... I haven't even taken the door panels off again to check anything, just hit the switches for the hell of it and the windows went down. They don't always work though so I'm still going to have to look for what's causing that, but it's strange that as soon as the temps start warming up the windows would work again.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 5:43 pm

The switch is poorly designed. I'm sure if you completely disassemble the switch you'll find the contacts all covered in carbon and barely making the necessary connection. Clean with a little fine sandpaper or scotch-brite, turn the contacts around and wa-la, a like-new window switch!
Back to top Go down
54_nailhead
Enthusiast
54_nailhead

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 am

Is there a trick to get them apart without destroying the case?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 2:38 pm

I recall small screws on the bottom to remove, I didn't have a problem disassembling the switch. It was a few months ago and I didn't take pictures, sorry...
Back to top Go down
riv_problems96
Amateur

Name : magen

PostSubject: window switch or motor?   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 10:49 pm

left work today - first day of new job - and when i started car and tried to put driver window down, all i get is a click sound - no movement. the passenger side is fine as well as the locks so i am wondering if i need to replace the switch or motor - i am trying to order the part today or tomorrow but didnt want to order wrong one?

thanks for you help smile
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm guessing motor, but it wouldn't hurt to take the switch apart and clean the contacts. Taking the switch apart is a PITA. I've got pics of the process in this thread -

Link
Back to top Go down
woggy
Enthusiast
woggy

Name : Paul
Location : Altoona, Florida (Somewhere in the ocala national forest)
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:16 pm

probably the motor. heres how to check it: take the door panel off, unplug the harness at the window motor, take the battery out of your cordless drill, (everyone should have 1 of these!) 9,12 or 14v will suffice, jump a set of wires from the battery to the window motor either polarity is fine. see if the motor runs. you can reverse polarity for either "up or down"
I find this to be the fastest and easiest way to check window motors. hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Power Window Problems
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next