Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Power Window Problems

Go down 
+44
96rivie
ghpcnm
DEMonte1997
manofmany
LARRY70GS
Mr.Riviera
ZEP
Jayrydingslab
Chuckly
kcc001
bigdave
nebstewart07
Eldo
Hometown Hero
Abaddon
98riv
flyineagle96
Northeast
robotennis61
BMD
florence_x
3.8 Riviera
playa
woggy
riv_problems96
Matt08_hcm
1995 Riv
Rickw
albertj
54_nailhead
BrokenDownInTheYard
rivman96
1998 Riv
deekster_caddy
Shintsu
TonySmooth89
¤DoughBoy¤
AA
ibmoses
'96reese
Jason
SpaceBar
Jack the R
L67
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Chuckly
Rookie

Name : Chuck Lively
Merit : 0

FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:21 am

Have the same problem with my ‘98. I suspect the switch. Lots of posts on this site regarding that.
Back to top Go down
Jayrydingslab
Amateur
Jayrydingslab

Name : REMY
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 10:13 am

my passenger side window stop working it use to work only on the driver side only when i bagged on the door for sum reason then stop i replaced the motor and still nothing could this be the switch cause i hear it clicking r whateva but noting is happening
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Both of my windows suddenly stopped working pretty much out of the blue yesterday. I drive to peoples' houses often and it is a pain in the ass not being able to roll my windows down to see house #'s, when I could just a few hours earlier.

I assumed the issue lied with the power window breaker on the left fuse panel under the rear seat since neither window works. So, today, I spent around 2 hours going from place to place to see if anybody had the breaker (looks like part # 12088575). None of the specialty auto parts stores did and both Buick dealerships around me had none in stock (in total, around 8 places). Apparently one dealership about 40-50 miles away has 3 in stock, but I have no time to travel there.

Needless to say, it is a real pain in the ass that a little breaker would be such a nuisance. Just thought I'd let people know that this little 25A circuit breaker is *not* a common thing.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 3:58 pm

can you swap it with another 25a fuse that is less important to test if that is the problem? Or have you already visually verified the fuse is blown?

Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 4:23 pm

It is a metal-encased "circuit breaker" according to the manual. I put a generic 25a fuse in place of the 25a CB and the windows continue to not work.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 5:37 pm

So it seems the breaker isn't the problem. Could be the window switch connector in the driver's door might have come loose inside. This will cause both windows to stop working.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Well, I replaced the breaker, and the windows still do not work. I have the door panel off right now and I looked at all connections. Everything is connected as far as I can see, though I will open up the box and look inside a bit more. Hmm... neutral
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 4:17 pm

This is where a factory service manual and a multi meter show their worth. Without it, you just guess and replace parts, waste time and money, and get frustrated. If you follow the trouble tree in the FSM, it will isolate the fault, and save you money and/or frustration. Yup, it's time consuming to one degree or the other. I can't imagine why anyone who owns one of these cars thinks they can get away without one. It was one of the first things I bought after the car. As good as this site is, you need the FSM. If not now, certainly in the future if you keep the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 6:06 pm

You're right, Larry. It would probably be in my best interests. You have to realize that I have less than half the number (21) of years on this planet as you and I'm learning as time goes on. I just get aggravated at the 98 sometimes. To top it off, my HVAC controls are now showing all temperatures with a negative sign in front of them, and the last time I started the car up, the unit started blaring this ear-piercing beep that wouldn't stop until I turned the car off. When it rains, it pours!
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

ZEP wrote:
You're right, Larry. It would probably be in my best interests. You have to realize that I have less than half the number (21) of years on this planet as you and I'm learning as time goes on. I just get aggravated at the 98 sometimes. To top it off, my HVAC controls are now showing all temperatures with a negative sign in front of them, and the last time I started the car up, the unit started blaring this ear-piercing beep that wouldn't stop until I turned the car off. When it rains, it pours!

Zach,
I understand. When I first bought my Riviera, the automatic level control wasn't working. I went through the trouble tree used to diagnose the "rear of car low". It took me a few days to get through the entire procedure. They tell you to measure between different points for voltage and resistances. It can be kind of tedious, as you don't always understand what they are asking you to do. I found myself skipping around the FSM, at end views and wiring schematics, to figure things out. In the end, I narrowed it down to a single wire between the level sensor, and the ALC relay under the rear seat. I never would have found this wire without the FSM.

The HVAC unit is trouble prone. The solder joints are not done very well. There is a guy on Ebay that goes through them and corrects any problems. There is a thread on repairing them in this forum I believe. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm

After ordering service manuals about 2 weeks ago that have *still* not shipped (probably won't), I decided to take a look again in my rare free time, I found that the wiring harness in the door jamb was damaged. There was no ground to the master window switch in the driver's side door, and the ground wire was damaged. I fixed the wire and the windows work fine now. yay
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Been happening off and on for a couple years but since it's warmed up outside dramatically but drivers window doesnt go down most days. I can hear it click every time I hit the switch. Is it most likely the motor?
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Shoot! Driver side window crapped out on me   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Started this morning. The switch on the door was stuck. I couldn't push it forward or back. After playing with it a little more, it finally gave and went in the down position but I heard a pop sound. After using it more I noticed the "auto down" feature no longer worked. However, the window would go up and down. Fast forward to about 20 minutes ago. I put the window down and now it will only go back up part of the way (about two inches from the top is where it stops). I can hear a motor sound when I hit the button so I'm thinking that possibly the regulator finally took a crap on me?

Can anyone expound? frown I'm hoping to get the part ordered and this fixed asap so I don't get too much water in the cabin. no

oops Thanks for moving Aaron
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Sounds like the regulator to me. I had this very same thing to happen with my Reatta. I wouldn't put too much strain on the motor as you might burn it up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Started this morning. The switch on the door was stuck. I couldn't push it forward or back. After playing with it a little more, it finally gave and went in the down position but I heard a pop sound. After using it more I noticed the "auto down" feature no longer worked. However, the window would go up and down. Fast forward to about 20 minutes ago. I put the window down and now it will only go back up part of the way (about two inches from the top is where it stops). I can hear a motor sound when I hit the button so I'm thinking that possibly the regulator finally took a crap on me?

Can anyone expound? frown I'm hoping to get the part ordered and this fixed asap so I don't get too much water in the cabin. no

oops Thanks for moving Aaron

Aieeeee... last time this happened to me I had the dealer fix it, they lubed the regulator and replaced the motor.

Used to be the motor and regulator came as one assembly from GM RPO. Now you get regulators from junkyards and motors from Cardone. I think there are some NOS motor/regulator sets still out there smoewheres.
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

Name : drew
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:52 pm

My window stopped going up and down. When i would push the button i could hear the moter but it would"nt roll up/down. Got a new regulater from a riv at the junkyard for 8$ and it works fine now. I figured maybe some water got in.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Stupid question. I figure on replacing the motor, switch and regulator while I'm in there. The motor isn't riveted onto the regulator is it? I don't have the door skin off now or pics to look at. I don't want some sort of nightmare here. I'm 95% sure this is a regulator/switch problem but I might as well get the motor as well.

What I was thinking of doing is order the used regulator and switch and get a new motor from rockauto (via a Dorman unit). http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=534470
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:16 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Stupid question. I figure on replacing the motor, switch and regulator while I'm in there. The motor isn't riveted onto the regulator is it? I don't have the door skin off now or pics to look at. I don't want some sort of nightmare here. I'm 95% sure this is a regulator/switch problem but I might as well get the motor as well.

What I was thinking of doing is order the used regulator and switch and get a new motor from rockauto (via a Dorman unit). http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=534470

The motor is held on with 3 bolts. https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7151p60-write-up-window-motor-replacement The pictures aren't working right now, but I will try to upload the ones that I have saved here in a bit.

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:49 pm

My passenger side window goes up and down slowly when I use the switch on the drivers side of the car, but when I reach over and use the passenger side switch it moves much faster. Does that mean I need to clean/replace the switch on the drivers side of the car?

Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:01 pm

I might try pulling the driver door panel and bypassing the switch to see if the motor works 100%.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:03 pm

AA wrote:
I might try pulling the driver door panel and bypassing the switch to see if the motor works 100%.

The passenger side window motor was replaced a few years ago, so it still should be good. I think I will try it anyway and also check to see if the switch is dirty.

Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks for the information guys. smile I found a regulator in CT that might be affordable. Might snag the motor and switch from this yard for good measure. Hoping my regulator might be fine and only need some recon/lube. Will take lots of pics and keep y'all posted.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Picked up the regulator. $30 from the yard ain't bad. smile Looks very good. They probably cleaned it up a bit. Can anyone tell me where to lube this sucker up? *insert dirty joke here* I'll throw a pic up if that helps. smile
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Got into this yesterday. The switch was bad.

Just to recap the symptoms: The auto down feature stopped working shortly after the button started binding. Then the window was having trouble going up. I swapped switches and relubed the regulator along with guides. Window travels very quickly now. smile

I have an extra regulator if someone needs it. Very good condition out of a lower mileage 1997 car.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 2:12 pm

If you don't mind, where did you find the switch, and how much did it cost?

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Power Window Problems   FAQ: Power Window Problems - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Power Window Problems
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next