Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Difficulty starting the first time

Go down 
+7
T Riley
deekster_caddy
AA
Rickw
vendetta
TonySmooth89
Shintsu
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 5:48 pm

I think the only problem you'll have is the inconvenience of waiting a couple seconds before starting. The worse the problem gets, the longer you'll need to wait. Beyond that, I don't see any thing else happening.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 6:57 pm

I would follow AA's suggestion which will verify if the problem is fuel pressure-related.
Change the filter, it could be clogged irregardless of the age/mileage.
Also, does the motor spin very rapidly when trying to start?
If the battery is weak it will cause weird symptoms. You might have the battery tested if you have any reason to suspect it....

Bert tavis

AA wrote:
It does sound like it's fuel pressure-related. Do this test: after sitting a day, turn the key on for 10 secs, so the fuel pump kicks on. Then try to start. If it starts up quickly, you know it's fuel pressure.

The regulator is probably cheap. Very easy to replace. You do have to relieve pressure at the schrader valve on the front rail, but it's easy to do. You don't need to remove the rail, just the engine cover.

There is the off chance that it's a leaking injector. In this case, you'll need to remove the rail and replace or rebuild the injectors. Hopefully this is not the case.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 5:34 pm

This problem is getting worse now. Simply letting turning it to the on position and waiting even 10 seconds is still making it struggle to start. I shot a video the other day when I went to go get gas in it.

Here's the cold start
Click here to watch "Riv-cold-start"

And here's the warm start
Click here to watch "Riv-warm-start"

This help any in determining the problem?
Back to top Go down
rivboy
Amateur
rivboy

Name : Marc
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:32 pm

fuel filter is beans to change, just changed mine the other day, cheap and 5 minutes to install
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:53 pm

hi
If you need help, if you want something from me, anything; you have to prove yourself worthy of my assistance or time. Otherwise, fuck off. In 98% of cases, I find my philosophy effective in keeping away stupid people I wouldn't like anyways. Got a broke down car? Better hope you don't look like a twat or are driving some piece of shit car or you have zero chance of my help.

I've heard someone say to me "Treat others the way you want to be." No, I treat others the way they treat me - like shit. So that's fine, everyone else can fuck off and die and they'll get no help from me about anything.
nono
lmfao

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Sweepspear
Fanatic
Sweepspear

Name : Dale
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 pm

While the movies aren't playing for me for some reason, what you descibe sounds similar to the problem I had with my Park Ave this past summer.
Long crank, stall condition?

It was a bad fuel regulator as suggested earlier.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Fucking putfile...it gave me some bullshit error but I thought they uploaded. Biggest piece of shit ever. Word of advice to everyone, boycott Putfile until the dick suckers make a site that isn't a piece of shit. God dammit, can't ANYONE host a fucking website? Shit, I might as well host one - at the rate big sites like YouTube and Craigslist are broke so much I could do that. Fucks sake... gripe
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 11:16 pm

ibmoses wrote:
hi
If you need help, if you want something from me, anything; you have to prove yourself worthy of my assistance or time. Otherwise, fuck off. In 98% of cases, I find my philosophy effective in keeping away stupid people I wouldn't like anyways. Got a broke down car? Better hope you don't look like a twat or are driving some piece of shit car or you have zero chance of my help.

I've heard someone say to me "Treat others the way you want to be." No, I treat others the way they treat me - like shit. So that's fine, everyone else can fuck off and die and they'll get no help from me about anything.
nono
lmfao

Bert tavis

I really like you bert.

But did you take the aforementioned advice and check the battery and change the fuel filter? Start with the small stuff. As bert said , fuel filter can go bad real quick sometimes. 15k is just an average time. could go bad much sooner.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:41 am

Yes, I unhooked the battery and it's been too cold to fiddle with the fuel filter. It's warm enough now but soaking wet...damn weather...

Bert, I was talking about with strangers - i.e. when I'm going to the store, etc. But take it how you like...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty starting the first time   Difficulty starting the first time - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Difficulty starting the first time
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2