Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

starting problems please help

Go down 
+2
Abaddon
lpat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lpat
Special

Name : lee
Merit : 0

starting problems please help Empty
PostSubject: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 4:07 pm

i put the key in and it is somewhat hard to get it to unlock. play back n forth with steering wheel and it will turn. when i turn the key all the way to start it will start right up, when i let go of the key it rotates back to its normal on position and the engine stops running. if i slowly let the key start to come back the starter disengages and the engine will continue to run as long as i hold the key in somewhat of a middle position, as soon as i let it go it will stop running. it can be difficult to remove the key, you have to play with steering wheel back n forth to remove it. so does anyone have any ideas? do you think it could be the ignition switch or issues with the security system. 96 riviera supercharged. only 77000 miles normal daily driver but have not used it for a couple of days before problem started. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. any help is appreciated!!!!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Sounds like the lock bolt is sticking, or the its hanging up on the lock plate. Or the Ignition Lock Actuator could be acting up. The stalling when putting the key back to the Run position sounds like Ignition Switch, but the "hanging up" on the Steering Wheel Lock Plate makes me lean towards the Ignition Cylinder/Actuator. Or, the Ignition Switch is broken internally causing this entire issue....time to start taking the column apart to inspect suspect
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Great info once again Scott!
Back to top Go down
lpat
Special

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:18 pm

that is what i started doing but ran out of daylight. some other info is that when the switch is in the on position there is no power to the radio the windows or environmental, but they start to come on as i let the key back slowly. I'll work on it more tomorrow. thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:41 pm

lpat wrote:
that is what i started doing but ran out of daylight. some other info is that when the switch is in the on position there is no power to the radio the windows or environmental, but they start to come on as i let the key back slowly. I'll work on it more tomorrow. thanks for the info.

Oh sure....NOW you tell me lol. Yeah, sounds like the contacts in the Ignition Switch are messed up. When you take it apart some more, make sure you re-lube the Ignition Cylinder contacts inside the Actuator.
If you pull the Ignition Switch totally off the column, turn the key and make sure the lock bolt and what not are working properly, As you may have 2 concerns. I doubt this is the case, but you're gonna have the column ripped apart anyway..... starting problems please help Icon_win
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 am

sounds like you need to replace the ignition switch *and* lock. There is a write up on this site how to do it. Best way is get factory parts from dealer (they are not cheap) and install them yourself (the install labor would be a couple hundred bucks at $90/hour...)

Second best is to get good used parts from any competent recycling yard.

third best is to have a mechanic 'fix it' - RIv has a relatively common Saginaw column, anyone who'se torn down/reassembled one or more won't find it daunting.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 2:39 pm

And while you're in there, make sure the hinge-pins for your tilt function aren't backing out or loose!

pale
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Good idea,those knuckles always seem to get sloppy.I had a Bonneville you could move the wheel up,down,sideways,verry bad.lol
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:24 pm

flyineagle96 wrote:
Good idea,those knuckles always seem to get sloppy.I had a Bonneville you could move the wheel up,down,sideways,verry bad.lol

Absotively! If you don't repair a pin as soon as it comes out, the sideways torque will bust the ear off the opposite side...
Back to top Go down
lpat
Special

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 8:39 am

sorry about no update, i had to go out of town for work and i'm just getting back i'll let you know what happens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: starting problems please help   starting problems please help Empty

Back to top Go down

starting problems please help
Page 1 of 1