Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Center Console Armrest will not behave.

Go down 
+6
curious riv
96riv
Jeremy
ibmoses
L67
sburch23
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

Center Console Armrest will not behave. Empty
PostSubject: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 7:21 pm

It will barely stay down. The slightest bump will cause it to come unlatched if my arm is not on it. The hook mechanism looks OK and what I can see of the latch in the center console itself looks ok. There are no obvious front to back adjustment places that I can see.

Ideas?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 7:56 pm

mines broken

my ghetto fix: velcro cool
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 8:41 pm

Mine was doing the same thing. Upon close inspection I found that the plastic arm that protrudes from the lid was broken and just barely hanging on...

Take the lid off where you can inpect it closely and see if that is the problem.

Gorrila Glue solved my problem.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Jeremy
Amateur

Name : Jeremy
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Does it have alot of slack in it? like can you move the lid from side to side?
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 pm

No slack in cover when it is down.

Hook that is attached to the lid looks OK. However it is probably some type of broken plastic thingy somewhere.

Not a problem when cruising down the interstate and my arm is on it. But when I driving through downtown Atlanta, pretending to be Jeff Gordon at Talledega and it pops up, it is dangerously distracting.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 8:31 pm

The L67 "ghetto fix" worked with some velcro from Auto Zone
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 8:34 pm

sburch23 wrote:
No slack in cover when it is down.

Hook that is attached to the lid looks OK. However it is probably some type of broken plastic thingy somewhere.

Not a problem when cruising down the interstate and my arm is on it. But when I driving through downtown Atlanta, pretending to be Jeff Gordon at Talledega and it pops up, it is dangerously distracting.

A couple of years ago at Talladega one of the NASCAR drivers(I think it was Stewart) said that I-20 between Atlanta and Birmingham scared him worse than racing at Talladega. bonk

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 8:42 pm

I put over 100,000 miles on my car between Atlanta and Meridian, MS. I-20 goes right by Talladega. The people on the track are mostly professionals, going virtually the same speed and they are not holding a cell phone to their ear. On I-20 you get all of that plus construction crews, animals, Ma & Pa Kettle driving 52mph in a Rambler, semi's pulling out in front of you going 15 mph slower, the list is endless.
Back to top Go down
96riv
Fanatic
96riv

Name : Dennis
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 11:31 pm

Take the spring out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arizonagn.com
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 8:45 am

The plastic that holds one end of the spring is broken on mine. It stays down. If I want it up i just pick it up... The damn thing does wiggle more than i want tho, feels like it might break off one day
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 9:45 am

Ed Morad seemed to have a lot of rivs show up all of a sudden. Maybe contact him, may get a replacement for less than you think.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks for the additional ideas. Today the velcro adhesive proved to be weaker than the velcro and it pulled it off.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 9:18 pm

sburch23 wrote:
Thanks for the additional ideas. Today the velcro adhesive proved to be weaker than the velcro and it pulled it off.

probably cause the adhesion surface isn't completely smooth. either try sanding it down smooth, clean with alcohol first and then apply, or both.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 10:33 pm

i saw some new(i guess new) plastic kinda velcro. both sides are plastic. might work better. idk where to get it though...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 10:48 pm

I don't know of any adhesive velcro that has withstood the test of time without a little crazy glue added to the adhesive side...
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 11:01 pm

if you wanna get crazy with the crazy glue- try lexel. its a little expensive but cross silicone caulk with crazy glue and lexel is whatu get. if you want something to stick for good, use that. it's in the caulking aisle at most hardware stores
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 am

96riv wrote:
Take the spring out.

X2

That's what I did on my car. It works and no cost wink
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Center Console Armrest will not behave.   Center Console Armrest will not behave. Empty

Back to top Go down

Center Console Armrest will not behave.
Page 1 of 1