Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security

Go down 
+74
llamalor2112
ZEP
Setton
chitown_riv98
matt270avian
gunmetalRED
Lenrapkins
sniperdude
GreenJeanS
mkarr
rivieray
c0reyl
nvsteve
dpmeeks
SuperRivL67
DEMonte1997
riviera90
dtrumbo
denim
BatMobile
97 park ave
98riv
Mikel
bigdave
canada
Derek
BMD
jonly
lamluca
flyineagle96
slacker2620
black shadow
Jack the R
Abaddon
AA
LARRY70GS
billythekid7
moldymac
rivren
Eldo
robotennis61
Jason
jp8240
pearlwhite91
Ash
Roberta
Mr.Riviera
rivparadise
tomc
dscott2000
1995 Riv
98RiviSC
Rickw
jenkkijussi
KillaKeninaRiv
SToP
Ryan from Ohio
96RIVMANN
albertj
Fuzzy
'96reese
lionfish
Chicken
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
BillBoost37
TType_Riviera
heyzelchi
jhodges
mcgusto82
SpaceBar
RIVIGIRL1
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 4:49 pm

lamluca wrote:
you know, it's funny, but whoever builds my module with the free instructions on the website can steal a huge amount of GM cars very easily with it... It would take 3-4 minutes for me (and I'm not on cars at all) to install that module on a LeSabre 92-99, I can't imagine for a professional thief frown

Not so funny, actually...
No hate, but that's exactly why I wish that your information wasn't out there. nervous

The only thing slowing down the thieves is the placement of the module & wiring in the different cars...
Back to top Go down
lamluca
Rookie

Name : Luke Lambruschini
Merit : 0

vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 4:51 pm

the stealers or the stealerships... This is the problem smile
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:07 pm

I personally don't worry about my car getting stolen. I don't think anyone wants a 12 or 13 year old car. No matter what condition it's in.
If I were to by-pass all the OEM stuff and was worried about theft, then install an aftermarket theft device or remove the magic box from the glovebox as has been suggested.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm

lamluca wrote:
the stealers or the stealerships... This is the problem smile

Yes, but the dealerships give the car back...
Back to top Go down
lamluca
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:09 pm

if the value of the car is > 1000$ then I'm with you Eldo ...
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:19 pm

So, "stealerships" are out to steal cars? Really? Wouldn't they install your module at the factory if this were so? I mean, surely they wouldn't have designed a Theft Deterrent System and installed it if it wasn't meant for one.

I simply hate the entire idea of it all. It's a neatly built waste of time and a hack fix IMO. As far as thieves are concerned. I agree with Eldo on this one. This information shouldn't be out "here". Yes, your obviously good at what you do, as the design and function are done well. However, maybe you should devote your brain power more toward solving the problem rather than disabling a system that has a good purpose. Then post that info as well......

It's cool that you would share your "invention" with others to use as they wish....but again, IMO, a waste of brain power.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:24 pm

I didn't take what he said to mean the Dealerships are out to steal your car.
Slealerships are out to take your money.
That's all.
Back to top Go down
lamluca
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:24 pm

when this problem happened to my LeSabre, I've got a dealer sadistically smiling at me and asking 1300$. I did not smile and I did have only 13$ in my pockets. The only thing I owned was my old LeSabre - not even a house or a piece of garden or anything. Just that LeSabre and my family.
How could I go to work the next monday?

Ok, my website was born and exists for people in this situation. And from the emails that I receive there is people of this type and with this problem all over North America now.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:30 pm

lamluca wrote:
when this problem happened to my LeSabre, I've got a dealer sadistically smiling at me and asking 1300$. I did not smile and I did have only 13$ in my pockets. The only thing I owned was my old LeSabre - not even a house or a piece of garden or anything. Just that LeSabre and my family.
How could I go to work the next monday?

Ok, my website was born and exists for people in this situation. And from the emails that I receive there is people of this type and with this problem all over North America now.
Then maybe, as this is a hobby, you could offer the product at a discounted rate, by discounting your labor rate, to Rivperformance members that are in that same financial shape.? Like me for instance. No work and minimal income. Actually unable to work due to a disability.
What income i currently get goes to pay medical bills that are not covered by insurance of any kind.
Back to top Go down
lamluca
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Rickw, that's the reason the project is free on the website. Radioshack could be the source for the components.
It's not really an hobby for me at all - I had to find a solution cause I had no alternatives. And believe me, it took me 100+ email requests before I decided to put my work on sale on the website. And I stay up in the night to build those.

I want to help and the free project is helping everybody and that is really the best I can do.
But there are exception - like now for example I have one of them made on my table and if you need it and if your car has a standalone TDM you can have it for free (at cost of shipping). But these exceptions are very rare smile
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 6:01 pm

PM Sent
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 6:14 pm

It turns out the question of how to disable the factory security has been asked before by Riviera owners. The recent information re: lamluca's product and free build plan will stay in this thread for informative purposes, and as an option to those who chose to bypass the factory security system. The information could be useful for someone in need of a quick fix. It is certainly useful for all of us to be aware of it.

This is not any different than disabling other features such as ABS, airbag, AC, cat converter, etc. - all of which there is no harm in discussing. Disabling of these features is at your own risk.

Thank you,
Admin

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 10:31 pm

AA wrote:

This is not any different than disabling other features such as ABS, airbag, AC, cat converter, etc. - all of which there is no harm in discussing. Disabling of these features is at your own risk.

Thank you,
Admin

I think the main point of the objections here were not about what we do to our own cars, but rather that the info helps other people steal them...
Back to top Go down
billythekid7
Amateur

Name : billy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 11:43 pm

now when i put the key in the ignition the security light stays lit car will not start and the relay in the fuze box clicks when i try and trun the car over..???is it supposed to click?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 9:39 am

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the Security system only disables the fuel injectors, not the starter. If the starter relay is clicking, something is wrong between the relay and the starter......
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Abaddon wrote:
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the Security system only disables the fuel injectors, not the starter. If the starter relay is clicking, something is wrong between the relay and the starter......

Yes, the Security system does disable the starter... that's why there is a Starter Enable relay down by the BCM.

From the '97 manual:

If the values do not match, the PASS-Key®️ II theft deterrent module performs
the following system disable functions for approximately 3 minutes:

* No ground is provided to the starter enable relay. The starter is disabled.
* No command is given to the PCM to enable the fuel delivery system.

(This is also a reminder that you have to wait at least 3 minutes between tries...)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 5:31 pm

billythekid7 wrote:
i dont have a FSM

If you're going to own/operate a car this age, you'll need an FSM. Even if you don't do the work yourself, not that many mechanics will be familiar with the Riviera beyond the hard parts in the engine and transmission. The FSM helps you (and them) understand it. They are usually pretty reasonable on eBay.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Albert is right, Billy... Take a look:

Complete Manuals starting at $29!
Back to top Go down
billythekid7
Amateur

Name : billy

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 12:01 am

ok yeah so if i turn the key real fast i will start if i leave the key in and roll down a window the security locks me out for 3 mins...?? any ideas?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 2:37 am

billythekid7 wrote:
ok yeah so if i turn the key real fast i will start if i leave the key in and roll down a window the security locks me out for 3 mins...?? any ideas?

get the FSM. It will explain a lot, and until you get one I'm silent on this problem.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 am

Eldo wrote:
Yes, the Security system does disable the starter... that's why there is a Starter Enable relay down by the BCM.

From the '97 manual:

He said the relay was/is clicking though. Eh, I hate Body systems. Didn't have to work on 'em at the dealer, we had a "guy" for that lol.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:38 am

billythekid7 wrote:

You should probably do some troubleshooting. My educated guess is a bad ignition switch, but if you replace that without properly troubleshooting the problem you are wasting money. The FSM costs about the equivelant of 2 hours of "shop labor" brand new, so it pays for itself on the first use. This is a great time to buy one.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Eldo wrote:

From the '97 manual:

He said the relay was/is clicking though. Eh, I hate Body systems. Didn't have to work on 'em at the dealer, we had a "guy" for that lol.

True, but he didn't say which of the 4 'fuze' boxes he was talking about... wink

Last edited by Eldo on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Touche Eldo, touche clap lol
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Touche Eldo, touche clap lol

Thank youuuuu, thank you very much! Eldo has left the building... scat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security   vats - Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: No Start + 3 min delay / Disabling PASS-Key II Security
Page 7 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next