Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Straighteight
Straighteight

Merit : 1

98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window Empty
PostSubject: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 pm

This is tough to describe, but the wind noise only shows up when it is windy outside! If the day is calm, no wind noise. It's almost like wind is coming in on the front edge of the door as weather strips are all sealing just fine.
Anyone else have this problem, and if so did you find a fix???
Thanks for any help help
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Try using some masking tape to seal the area and pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Straighteight
Straighteight

Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks, it appears the wind comes thru the grille area thru the fenders and blows between the vinyl door panel and the door. Any ideas how to fix?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Mine starting doing the same thing recently or I'm just noticing it more because it's getting friggin cold here.
I'm taking my door panels off and seeing if the plastic weather sheet is missing. I get a heck of breeze through the door handles also.
And I'll probably just replace all door seals while I'm at it. The car is 10 years old.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:06 pm

I havent searched for doorseals but let us know where u get them from. i have a slight air noise too. (mostly when its windy) im almost certain its comin fm where the window seal is at the top
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:14 pm

I know I can have the local body shop that I do business with get aftermarket or OEM seals, I've already asked. Didn't ask how much as he was busy that day, but I'm bringing it in for some touch up work soon and I'll get prices. And I want to check and see what the local dealer and monsterpartsonline.com get for the OEM ones.

Last edited by Rickw on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:39 pm

When my car went over 70mph I started getting the wind noise as well. If you pull the door panels adn remove the insulator pad you will find a couple of adjustment screws at the bottom of the window assembly. I can't remember if they have a nut or if it is a phillips head but if you tighten them it pushes the bottom of the window out and the top in. Very easy to do and it fixed my problem. Now I still get a little wind noise but not until I'm over 120mph... twisted

I would imagine you could check it like I did for a window alignment problem... get up to speed until you hear the wind noise, open the sunroof to release pressure, and you should hear the noise dissapear from the window if it is an alignment issue. If you still hear wind noise from the window, you probably need another seal or at least recondition yours...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 11:47 pm

Eric,
Did you replace all of yours or did you recondition them, when you did the car over ?
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 am

I pulled them, stripped them with some leather cleaner then reconditioned with something... can't remember the name and the tube is in the garage. I think it is on my showroom thread somewhere. It is like a thick vasoline and worked great but took forever. All the seals were in very good shape to begine with.. the only weather strip/mouldings I replaced were the ones around the front and back window and the sail panel trim but those were hard molding and not the soft weatherstrip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window   98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window Empty

Back to top Go down

98 has wind noise at drivers and passenger side window
Page 1 of 1