Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

WTF I need help, my wipers quit working

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

WTF I need help, my wipers quit working Empty
PostSubject: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 10:21 pm

First off I am pretty sure that the wipers are the same on both cars, I just took my Riv off the road to keep it away from this shitty weather on Friday and my wipers just quit on my 98 Park Ave Ultra.
Both cars have the same intermitten wipers so I am hoping the diagnostic will be the same but if some one has the FSM for 98 Park Avenue or has one that can help it will be greatly apprciated. I know a few guys on here have Park Aves so Im hoping someone helps me ASAP.
This is what happen/ what Ive done so far:
I had the wipers on nd I heard a click, click(i thought it might have been the wiper relay) and the wipers stoped working and stayed down. I tryed turning them on and off both they do not work anymore and there is no sound like theres power, or that they are even trying to turn on. I went to advanced auto and they have no listing for a wiper relay, and I cant find it in the owners manual with all the other relays and fuses. I checked the two fuses that are labeled for wipers, one is a 10amp other is a 30amp, and both of them are good. Anyone have any idea what can be wrong, or atleast know where I can start diagnosing this problem? I am suppose to drive my girl to the airport at 430 in the morning but theres noway I will be able to drive if it is still pooring out like it probally will be frown
So much for a winter beater if it does not even have wipers that work evil
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 10:22 pm

1998 Park Avenue Ultra
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 7:10 am

Try moving the wipers with your hand while someone works the switch, in case its just hung up.

Really no idea though...
Sorry no

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 3:15 pm

No Bert that didnt work, I already tried that, its just like there is no power
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 8:36 pm

Swap the wiper relay (temporarily) for another one in the fuse panel. I think wiper relay is in the ngine compartment fuse panel. You may need to pull relay from panel under rear seat.

If the swap works, just buy replacement relay from auto parts store.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 pm

Albert this car does not have a wiper relay, maybe the riv does but I doubt it because both wiper motors are the same and the park ave only has relays on the circuit board connected to the wiper motor.

This is what I ended up doing to fix the problem:
Around 330 today I had to use the test light on all terminals because I did not have any wiring diagrams or anything. I had power so I knew it was not a power issue at the fuse or anything. Also there is no relay besides the ones inside the wiper motor module on the circuit board. So I ended up taking the wiper motor off of the firewall and then taking the cover off of the circuit board and sure enough it was burnt. Called advanced auto they said they did not sell the wiper motor circuit board module so I went to the Buick dealership. They said $197 for just the circuit board and $619 for the whole wiper motor. What a complete ripoff, this is just my winter beater so I was gonna go to the junk yard since this part is interchangeable from 97 to 05 on park aves. Anyways went to Advanced Auto and ordered the whole motor (which comes with the circuit board) its a remanufactured so its still an ac delco, not an after market part smile Oh ya and it comes with a lifetime warranty whereas the one at the dealer that was 12 times more only would have came with a 1year. The list was 69.99 and I paid $56.80, I love employee discounts happy And if the circuit board or the whole wiper motor ever goes on my riv I will be covered since they are the same part number smile So I guess its not that bad. Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:12 pm

I guess this wiper motor pulse module board is a common part to go bad. I have never heard of it have any of you ever had a problem with these. I guess the main reason is probally because when it goes people probally just assume its the motor and replace the motor, which fixes the problem also due to new motors coming with the new circuit board.
Thanks for your help guys and hopefully this topic will help others out happy
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Good deal, thanks for posting the resolution.

Good Work! clap

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 11:07 pm

glad you found it and thanks for posting details and corrections

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTF I need help, my wipers quit working   WTF I need help, my wipers quit working Empty

Back to top Go down

WTF I need help, my wipers quit working
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Brakes & Suspension-
Jump to: