Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Non-Stop Wipers

Go down 
+2
KillaKeninaRiv
RivieraBoricua
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RivieraBoricua
Rookie
RivieraBoricua

Name : Luis M. Davila
Merit : 0

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 am

Hi guys! The wipers on my 95 Riv have a life of their own!!! They simply will not start or stop unless I remove the fuse from the fusebox. Please somebody.. ...help help help
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 am

I would check the relay and then the wiper motor itself. You can get the motor or a relay from a junkyard. They charge pennies for them here. The motor is fairly cheap and sits at the top of the engine bay and should be fairly easy to replace.
Back to top Go down
RivieraBoricua
Rookie
RivieraBoricua

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 11:03 am

Where can I locate the relay?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 3:03 pm

Luis, I think he is referring to the Park Relay inside the wiper motor assembly itself... at least that's the only one I can find in my '98 book. Do you have an FSM (factory service manual?) If not, that's the first thing that we send newbies to eBay for. smile

I only have '97 & '98 manuals, so I can't be sure if the wiring is the same on a '95, but the only thing that isn't solid state in these systems is the Park Relay. The delay circuit in the motor is solid state, and wiper switch is the last thing you want it to be. A new one costs $400 even if you live in Michigan, because they combined everything into one unit, whereas a decade earlier the turn signal switch, emergency blinker switch, the cruise switch and dimmer switch were all separately-replaceable units...

If you have a manual, there is a whole procedure for checking different parts of the wiper circuits. It is a very involved system... However, it may be worth taking the cover off of the motor module and checking the Park switch and any associated linkages in there, because I do remember that the older systems from the '60s thru '80s would sometimes not shut off because something in side would hang up and not let the system go into Park.

Good luck,
Mark
Back to top Go down
RivieraBoricua
Rookie
RivieraBoricua

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks Mark! I only have the owners manual, but I am expecting soon a Service Repair Manual disc that we find on e-bay.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Thats why instead of looking through relays and switches Id just rather swap out the entire unit. Its only a matter of time before something else associated with it goes wrong, then youre right back at square one-taking it apart! For instance, if youre gas gauge is bad, instead of removing the fuel pump to replace the float, why not just remove the pump and replace the entire thing? If one part is messing up, sooner or later, youll be in the trunk again. If I find a motor for $25, isnt it worth that price rather than opening a complicated electrical unit that Im QUITE sure you dont want to end up doing?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 5:49 pm

Sorry Ken, I have to disagree with your example. The fuel sender is a notoriously bad part that can often be fixed by hand (got almost 5 years out of mine) or replaced with an individual part... The whole "fuel module" is over $400, and often a total waste of both $ and parts. Not to mention, how good can you be sure that a $25 wiper motor is?

Luis, did you by chance purchase a "GM eSI Techline" DVD? That is what my '98 manual is, but it doesn't cover '95... frown
Back to top Go down
RivieraBoricua
Rookie
RivieraBoricua

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Mark: I bought the GMC North America & Europe Service Repair Manual 1980-2005 Disc.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 7:18 pm

RivieraBoricua wrote:
Mark: I bought the GMC North America & Europe Service Repair Manual 1980-2005 Disc.
Does anyone here have any experience using this disc and is it comprehensive or lacking in detail due to the amount of years it covers.????
I'm curious, as I have seen these for sale on Ebay, but am under the assumption that the specific FSM (Factory Service Manual) for any particular year vehicle is more detailed and advantageous.
Anyone have any input.??????
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Rickw wrote:
RivieraBoricua wrote:
Does anyone here have any experience using this disc and is it comprehensive or lacking in detail due to the amount of years it covers.????
I'm curious, as I have seen these for sale on Ebay, but am under the assumption that the specific FSM (Factory Service Manual) for any particular year vehicle is more detailed and advantageous.
Anyone have any input.??????

Supposedly it's the GM SPO DVD. A guy in latvia is selling old ones and the EPC (a dual-layer DVD with pretty much all available parts listed). THey were intended to be used as backups if the GM dealer did nto have net access due to weather or high usage, in order to help ensure customer's cars were repaired timely.

One way to find out - Boricua will please report.

In the meantime you may find this informative - a page on the GM SPO web site explaining the DVD.

http://service.gm.com/faq/dvdfaq.html#sidvdgenquest

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Albert,
Is there a way to log on to this site for detailed info without being a Dealer.?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 pm

albertj wrote:

Supposedly it's the GM SPO DVD. A guy in latvia is selling old ones and the EPC (a dual-layer DVD with pretty much all available parts listed). THey were intended to be used as backups if the GM dealer did nto have net access due to weather or high usage, in order to help ensure customer's cars were repaired timely.

One way to find out - Boricua will please report.

In the meantime you may find this informative - a page on the GM SPO web site explaining the DVD.
http://service.gm.com/faq/dvdfaq.html#sidvdgenquest
Albertj

Now that is the DVD that I was talking about. I bought it before I found my '97 paper manuals. GM Techline Service & Parts Operations (SPO) Electronic Service Information (eSI)... Mine is labelled version 2004.19, with the 2005.2.21 update.

It has TSB's back to 1980, but the Riviera Service Manuals only extend from 1998 to 2005. Most of the 1998 stuff applies to 1997, but occasionally something is different, like the EVAP pressure switch next to the purge solenoid on '97s, but on top of the fuel module on '98s...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:30 pm

Rickw wrote:
Albert,
Is there a way to log on to this site for detailed info without being a Dealer.?
not that I am aware of... if you surf around you will find you *can* see more than you'd expect, but not the manuals actually.

Funny thing - the Hyundai people let you have their info as long as you own a Hyundai and register:

http://www.hmaservice.com/

I was once told that the site drives OE parts sales and improves customer satisfaction - something about better understanding of the cars' systems and functions, customers ask better questions, stuff like that. I have no data to back up that assertion though. It probably also helps both customers and the company avoid costs.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 4:18 am

Because the vast majority of the cars are running when they go in. You just pull off what you need. But thats why I buy a warranty when I go, so I dont get stuck holding a piece of scrap metal lol
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 10:51 am

Nobody asked this......

Are they on constant low or high? Maybe your multi-function switch is toast.......the wiper control on the left stick of the steering column.
Back to top Go down
RivieraBoricua
Rookie
RivieraBoricua

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:35 pm

I will be able to give you a report about the disc as soon as it arrives by mail. One thing that worries me is that the original ad on E-Bay was for a 1995 Buick Riviera Service Manual, but when I received the payment confirmation the title was GMC North America & Europe Service Repair Manual 1980-2005. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
RivieraBoricua
Rookie
RivieraBoricua

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Well, based upon the information received from you guys regarding my "non-stop wipers" trouble, I decided to spend part of my spring brake doing the following:

PLAN A: Replace the wiper motor.
PLAN B: Replace the turn signal level switch( tenneseeautosales@e-bay $159.95).

ALL TEN FINGERS CROSS. bonk
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Dude, wait until you get the disc, and go through the steps in the manual to test the motor, wiring, and multi-function switch...

Plan A: Pull the cover and see if you can check the Park relay & linkage - It might just need cleaning/lubricating.

Plan B: Go thru the diagnostic procedure in the manual. study

Plan C: Replace whatever part or fix whatever wire is indicated...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers EmptyThu May 06, 2010 1:10 am

Luis, I just found out that my PM Inbox was 100% full...

How did the installation go with the disc? And did you fix your problem?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Non-Stop Wipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Non-Stop Wipers   Non-Stop Wipers Empty

Back to top Go down

Non-Stop Wipers
Page 1 of 1