Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?

Go down 
+2
Ryan from Ohio
EASHER
6 posters
AuthorMessage
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? Empty
PostSubject: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 8:06 am

I went to Best Buy to check on the cost of replacing my stereo.

The tech in the install area said that the system install would require a complete rewire because the stock system used proprietary wiring and speakers.

I was also told that I would have to have a 4ch amp installed since my speakers are 2ohm and it would fry my stock head unit.

Are they just trying to rip me off?

has anyone had to completely rewire their system for installing new speakers?
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

Name : Ryan
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 9:33 am

if your system is Bose or anything upgraded over the Concert Sound 2 then they are probably right.

If you have CS2 then you just need a wiring harness. I know theres two speakers in the front doors. if they are both 2 ohm and wired in series which Im about 99% positive they are, you will be fine.

If you have something greater than cs2 then you probably will need a rewire in terms of running new speaker wire from either a new deck or by adding an amp.
Back to top Go down
envus87
Amateur

Name : Nick

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 9:58 am

had to run new wires to the rear speakers on my friends riviera, harness wouldnt match up. He had cs2, but was also a 1995.

post is here somewhere
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 9:20 pm

Didn't need to touch the speaker wiring in my '98 with CS2. It works great.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:14 pm

both front and rear wires worked fine for aftermarket speakers and head unit. btw, i think you can get 2ohm aftermarket speakers but i dont believe there is a need to.

Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 8:32 pm

I have a 95 and the wiring harness worked perfect. American international brand.

You dont want 2 Ohm speakers...

Just buy the fit kit and take your time. Its not a fun one, thats for sure...

I got an American international fit kit also. Its better than the others they have and has a nice EXTENDED mounting plate.

Get the GM-K434 and you can use the extended mount. Then use the factory "cradle" and use the back screw that came with your radio. makes for a SOLID mount!
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 8:47 pm

I have the speakers already. Infinity kappa series speakers and they are 2ohm speakers.

Can I just splice in a 4ohm resister to each speaker to not have a problem with my stock CSII?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 11:03 pm

No resistor needed for the kappas. Do your homework. It's discussed on the infinity website.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Thats a pile of bull shit if Ive ever read any.

Theres no damned way in hell that 10' or less of factory wiring is going to equate to 2 Ohms.

Furthermore even if it did add resistance its DC resistance, not AC Impedance.

I would use these with extreme caution or return them.

Check the calculator... 20 Ga wiring, 10 feet = .1 Ohms.

BS
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 8:29 pm

What is BS?

They sound great to me anyway, and that's all that really matters. A lot better sounding than the factory speakers that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Ryan,
What is the formula for figuring out resistance based on AWG and length of wire ?
It seems I have forgotten the basics.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 10:46 pm

http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm

All that is, is some strange/stupid marketing gimmick. AC Impedance (what a speaker is) is different than DC Resistance (How you measure the wire). Theres no way in this green earth that theres 2 Ohms resistance in that wire...

Thats what Im calling BS on.

I wonder what the DC Resistance is on those speakers...?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:20 am

Ryan,
Thanks for the link.
That's just what I've been looking for.
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 7:42 am

So to be clear. Can I use my 2ohm Kappa speakers with my stock CSII HU or do I have to wait until my new HU is installed?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 10:56 pm

EASHER wrote:
So to be clear. Can I use my 2ohm Kappa speakers with my stock CSII HU or do I have to wait until my new HU is installed?

You shouldn't have a problem.
Back to top Go down
Ryan from Ohio
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 12:42 pm

Should work.

i dotn have a lot of faith in Infinity's statement though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?   Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you need to rewire for a stereo and speaker install?
Page 1 of 1