Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)

Go down 
+33
llamalor2112
RivGuy
LARRY70GS
groschen1936
Derek
jeffyd123
moldymac
GMFreak8
BMD
crosss3
Eldo
ibmoses
robotennis61
woggy
deekster_caddy
97rivsc
1995 Riv
Sweepspear
curious riv
Rickw
albertj
nothincame2mind
Shintsu
99Rivman
turtleman
xxsupergman25xx
dreww
Jack the R
blackbart95
SpaceBar
Mr.Riviera
1998 Riv
AA
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Nope, they'll always come on for at least 9 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks Mark, I must have this confused with another system.
Oh, I think I remember, it was the A/C Compressor won't engage with ambient 48* or less. Unless you request windshield defrost, otherwise the compressor gets a break in the winter.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:16 pm

You are correct sir!

I don't know about the defog override (makes sense, though) but the '98 book says ambient must be above 41* to activate the compressor.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks, 41* it is then. And I have witnessed the A/C clutch engage with the defroster on below 41*.
Just to check and see if compressor was working.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I picked up a driver side mirror out of a junked riv some time ago and finally decided mine looks shitty enough to put it in. Just for s's & g's, I ripped my original apart and took some pics for reference.

FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 CIMG1633
FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 CIMG1634
FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 CIMG1635
FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 CIMG1636

It's the original out of my '97 w/ dimming w/o heat
Since before I got the car, the fluid had pretty much already all leaked out and there was one or two cracks at the bottem of the plastic framing. It wasn't difficult to rip it all off by hand.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Oh and so I can get a clear understanding of this, What should a good dimming mirror naturally look like? Is it supposed to look tinted or not?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:38 pm

It should be indistinguishable from a normal mirror...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 7:53 am

Does anyone have a picture of a glass-plate replacement mirror installed?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 10:53 am

AA wrote:

I bought the replacement pre cut mirror glass. I used a flexible two part epoxy to install it. It looks awesome. Is that what you mean Aaron? I can take a picture of mine.

This was the Burco #2864

http://www.burcoinc.com/products/online_catalog/

FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 RivMirror1

FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 RivMirror2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
RivGuy

Name : Bob Norton
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Out Side Mirrors Not Working Properly   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 12:05 pm

I have a 97 with remote mirrors and most of the time I can not adjust, nothing happens in any position, nor does the back up mirror tilt work. Thought it might be a fuze or breaker and than it will work OK for a little while, than back to not working again and everything works, so it must be getting juice some of the time. Anyone help me.

The seats work fine it is just the mirrors and they do not work most of the time, today put the car in reverse and the pass mirror tilted and they all adjusted just fine and maybe they will work tomarrow and maybe not -any other suggestions MOcarGuy@aol.com
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 6:07 pm

RivGuy wrote:
The seats work fine it is just the mirrors and they do not work most of the time, today put the car in reverse and the pass mirror tilted and they all adjusted just fine and maybe they will work tomarrow and maybe not -any other suggestions [url=mailto://MOcarGuy@aol.com
MOcarGuy@aol.com[/quote[/url]]

Suggestion: remove the drivers side interior trim panel and use a ohmmeter to check the wiring to the mirror switch for continuity--both with and without moving the switch. You might need alligator clips or IC pin clips to attach the meter leads to the wires.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 pm

My mirrors and memory seats were inoperative due to one broken wire in the flexible boot between the door and frame

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:17 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
My mirrors and memory seats were inoperative due to one broken wire in the flexible boot between the door and frame

I agree with Larry, especially considering the intermittent nature of your problem...
Speaking of which, how did you get access, Larry?

(You'll probably need the information in this writeup, though: Door Panel Removal)
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:19 pm

I just pulled the boot back to get access to the wiring bundle.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
I just pulled the boot back to get access to the wiring bundle.

Cool, I didn't think it would be that "smushable"... smile
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 2:48 pm

So my mirrors always use to look like this...
FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 IMAG2244

But as of this morning, my driver side looks like this...
FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 IMAG2243
It's all golden and makes it difficult to use accurately in daytime no what should I be checking into? (Mine had the autodim feature)
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 3:31 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
But as of this morning, my driver side looks like this...
FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 IMAG2243
It's all golden and makes it difficult to use accurately in daytime no what should I be checking into? (Mine had the autodim feature)

You will have to get a new mirror or you can get a new mirror like LARRY70GS did a page back.

LARRY70GS wrote:
AA wrote:

I bought the replacement pre cut mirror glass. I used a flexible two part epoxy to install it. It looks awesome. Is that what you mean Aaron? I can take a picture of mine.

This was the Burco #2864

http://www.burcoinc.com/products/online_catalog/

FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 RivMirror1

FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 RivMirror2

Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:53 pm

if you 'top' teh mirror it will heat but it will not dim. To get a dimming one you need to try monsterpartsonline.com - be prepared to pay several hundred dollars for a new one. You *might* try car-part.com to find a used one.

the trick is when the Riv is parked outside, the sunlight does in the autodim mirrors. I had no problems with my autodim mirror until i changed jobs and no longer had the car parked in a garage all day.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks guys. I'll try car-parts first and then if no luck I'll just top it I suppose. The previous owner kept it garaged its whole life, unfortunately I don't have space to park mine inside...sigh
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 12:01 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll try car-parts first and then if no luck I'll just top it I suppose. The previous owner kept it garaged its whole life, unfortunately I don't have space to park mine inside...sigh

Yep, that'll do it. When new they'd stay clear for a while but as they age the sunlight gets 'em.

At one time you could get a replacement autodim head for the mirror but I don't know if any are available - Patrick at monsterpartsonline.com might know.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 7:28 pm

It's really kinda annoying because we had a crazy record setting 70+ days of sunlight RIGHT as soon as I bought the car. Usually its very overcast pretty much all the time and the gold only spontaneously appeared on the very first day that we got rain once again. Grrr haha go figure.

I sent Patrick an email so hope to hear back from him n go from there. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Not sure if I'm the first to experience this but...my autodim has decided to un-stuck itself? After nearly 2 years it's decided it wants to start working again. Can't explain.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 6:16 pm

albertj wrote:

llamalor2112 wrote:

Yep, that'll do it.  When new they'd stay clear for a while but as they age the sunlight gets 'em.

At one time you could get a replacement autodim head for the mirror but I don't know if any are available - Patrick at monsterpartsonline.com might know.

Is it the autodim mirror glass itself that goes bad, or a sensor?
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 6:23 pm

I figured it was the glass as it physically gets stuck a deep golden color but now I'm curious as my glass once again looks normal
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 7:09 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
I figured it was the glass as it physically gets stuck a deep golden color but now I'm curious as my glass once again looks normal

Hrmm, now THAT is interesting.

I've seen some of the mirrors where it looks like the gold has "run" inside the glass like honey. In those cases it seems pretty clear that the glass has failed. But your observation is interesting. Would be cool if it were determined that the glass is still good, and it is something else..... especially if that "something else" were fixable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)   FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt) - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Side Mirror Problems (heated, auto-dimming, tilt)
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next