Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Transmission clunks when going into reverse

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
98riv

Merit : 30

Transmission clunks when going into reverse Empty
PostSubject: Transmission clunks when going into reverse   Transmission clunks when going into reverse EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 1:41 pm

With the colder temperatures we have been having, I have noticed that when the car has been sitting for a while it will clunk when going into reverse. It shakes the car pretty good. It doesn't do it once it has warmed up or when it is warmer out, but I don't want anything to break from the jolt. Thanks for any help.
On a side note, the engine runs pretty cold when the temperature is -11 F.

Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Transmission clunks when going into reverse   Transmission clunks when going into reverse EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 3:04 pm

There were other threads on this. I think the issue boils down to servos and/or motor mounts. When car is cold it is idling faster (like 1200 RPM)and so when you shift gears (into reverse for instance) the motor whacks against the mounts more than when warm (like 700 RPM).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
98riv

PostSubject: Re: Transmission clunks when going into reverse   Transmission clunks when going into reverse EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:38 pm

albertj wrote:
There were other threads on this. I think the issue boils down to servos and/or motor mounts. When car is cold it is idling faster (like 1200 RPM)and so when you shift gears (into reverse for instance) the motor whacks against the mounts more than when warm (like 700 RPM).

Albertj

I tried a quick search and it didn't turn anything up. Maybe I didn't search for the right words. So is there anything to worry about?

PostSubject: Re: Transmission clunks when going into reverse   Transmission clunks when going into reverse EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:45 pm

I found this thread that is somewhat similar, but the op had a little different problem.

PostSubject: Re: Transmission clunks when going into reverse   Transmission clunks when going into reverse Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission clunks when going into reverse
Page 1 of 1