Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Check engine oil light

Go down 
+10
Sweepspear
7901mark
96riv
T Riley
albertj
whit2285
deekster_caddy
1995 Riv
AA
Redline
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Check engine oil light - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check engine oil light   Check engine oil light - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 pm

AA wrote:

The car should hold exactly 5 qts when using the PF-52. 4.5 qts is the OEM spec.

Actually, the larger filter doesn't hold anywhere near an extra half-quart...
Think about it: A pint can of beer is larger than the whole filter, especially when you consider the volume consumed by the guts inside the filter.

Having said that, you'll come to no harm if you overfill by a half-quart. Just use the hash-marks or dots on the dipstick as a gauge of how far over you are. (By the way, those are what you should be looking at, not the actual word FULL.)
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Check engine oil light   Check engine oil light - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Eldo wrote:
Having said that, you'll come to no harm if you overfill by a half-quart. Just use the hash-marks or dots on the dipstick as a gauge of how far over you are. (By the way, those are what you should be looking at, not the actual word FULL.)

Exactly, A little here a little there, by god quit cutting hairs.
A little over the line, a quarter of a quart over the line, a half a quart over the line, will not kill the motor nor cause any damage.

You old lady's need to stop splitting hairs.

I use the larger filter and always just put 5 quarts in. Yes it is over the line. But by the time I'm ready for another oil change it is at or below the line. Yippeee.

Or am I now putting in 6 quarts since i changed the oil pan to aluminum, I can't remember and i only did it 6 months ago, but haven't changed the oil since.
I gather I'm abusing my motor with Mobil 1 and their equivalent of the larger filter. Yes I did put 6 Qts. in it and it was a 1/2 qt heavy.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Check engine oil light   Check engine oil light - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 1:11 am

You guys are right, it's probably 4.75 qts with P-52, but I'm like Rick, I go over a lil' bit so it stays good until the next change. None of this matters, though, because the OIL LEVEL lamp won't come on until it's 1.5 qt low.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Check engine oil light   Check engine oil light - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 1:38 am

Not that anyone really should wait until the light comes on, but yes, an extra pint is nice insurance... especially since GM should have provided a larger oil capacity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Check engine oil light   Check engine oil light - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Check engine oil light
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3