Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?

Go down 
+19
1998 Riv
llamalor2112
turtleman
matt270avian
Abaddon
bigdave
SouthernRiviera75
Ash
albertj
Snowdog
Shintsu
greg_anderson_78
ewolfe0050
T Riley
Mr.Riviera
97rivsc
EASHER
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EASHER
EASHER

Name : ERIK M. ASHER
Merit : 0

Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? Empty
PostSubject: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Will a 5spd manual trans from a GTP work with our Riv?
Has anyone here done a swap like this to their RIV?
Back to top Go down
http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/ERIKMASHER
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 4:02 pm

I would also be interested in this
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 pm

GTP's come in manual? scratch
i know the GTP G6's have a 5spd option, but i have never seen or heard of a manual grand prix. got any pics?

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 5:14 pm

What GTP came with a 5 spd manual?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 6:15 pm

I believe the transmission from the G6 is the f40 by getrag and some in the fiero crowd have sucessfully mated them to our 3800 engine with little changes, v8archie even mated one to the LS7 in his fiero...
the getrag 282 also can mate to our engines, from fieros, barettas and the such, though you have to drive careful to not blow the tranny....

currently no-one is sure what the max torque you can put through the f40 is specifically before it blows
(I researched the snot out of this idea awhile ago, still intend to do it when the funds become avaible)

Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Dont... unless your not gonna mod
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 7:08 pm

I have done some research into this (G6 tranny). They will not handle anything over 275-300whp before going boom. There has been 2 GTP's converted with some sucess. Also, someone on 3800Pro was trying to get a group buy into the conversion swap but with no luck because it just isn't a reliable trans if you put any power to it.
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 10:21 pm

I just saw a guy that took a 6spd trans from a 2006 PONTIAC G6 and swapped it into his GRANDAM GT.
This trans is the F40 and it is supposed to handle 300+hp and 295ft/lb

I hope one of our more well off members is willing to try swapping this trans into his RIV.
Back to top Go down
greg_anderson_78

Name : Greg

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 pm

anyone know what tranny came in old z34 luminas, perhaps it was the getrag 282, there were some 5 spds of those.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm

greg_anderson_78 wrote:
anyone know what tranny came in old z34 luminas, perhaps it was the getrag 282, there were some 5 spds of those.
IIRC, those trannys were what forced the 3.4 at the time which was supposedly high horsepower to be tuned down since it kept blowing the transmissions. Didn't the final version have like 220 hp or so? I don't think they'd handle the 3800 SII given they couldn't handle the old 3.4.
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 12:52 am

o alright, well i'll keep on dreamin for my manual riv lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 1:16 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag_282_transmission
makes that have the 282

many many have used the 282 with the 3800 series 1,2, and 3 successfully....but in light cars....

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/069871-32.html
interesting read on the LS7 fiero.. uses the F40 transmission with Cryo'ed internals... its up in the air as to how the thing responds to the power, remember with transmissions its not about the HP, its the torque numbers they are rated for....
thread is interesting, though the transmission talk is spread throughout it... finished pics of the transmission are on page 51...
being a light car i guess it can manage the stress on the transmission.. in a riv it would become "disposable"

EASHER

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 8:35 am

So is it the opinion of the group that there is no practical way to build up or transplant a manual trans into our RIVS?

I guess the only other way is to convert to RWD.

Has anyone here done that?
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 am

EASHER wrote:
So is it the opinion of the group that there is no practical way to build up or transplant a manual trans into our RIVS?

I guess the only other way is to convert to RWD.

Has anyone here done that?

RWD...thats the only minus on the car that it's not RWD....on winter times...the front of the car is so heavy..and i have allmost drived off rod cos even tho i turn wheel left or right it keeps goign straight....whit rwd could just give some more gas and it turns. everyone who has seen that car here thinks its rwd...they all say that a FWD spoils the fun;)
but to mod a riv into rwd. woudl take alot of work. but it's not impossible. as alot space under hood, has a good 'tunnel' under car where could install the axel.(on stock there goes the exhaust pipe)

but yeh i'm not goign to do anythign liek that...just can dream about it. if i would have the monney maybe i would.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 12:27 pm

The "G" platform body *was* RWD but the Riv's is modified to eliminate the frame, I was told.

Might want to look at mid '70s (like '73-4) Cutlasses or Chevelles to see how they were set up.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
EASHER
EASHER

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 2:23 pm

How about taking a rear subframe suspension and axle from a corvette or trans am and grafting it into the RIV. Turning the engine 90 degrees and using a RWD trans and fabbing up a drive shaft.

It will be costly, but awsome!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 6:14 pm

albertj, IIRC this "G" body has absolutely nothing in common with the 70's "G" body. It's a total redesign and they just needed a letter.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks for the correction.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
greg_anderson_78

Name : Greg

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 10:50 pm

wondering if anyone on here has seen the tv show where jay leno takes an oldsmobile torino and turns it into a rearwheel drive supercar. ah, now there would be a riv....

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-1966-Oldsmobile-Toronado-Jay-Leno.htm
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: transmission   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 10:28 am

I own a '87 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (RWD). Believe me, underneath it is nothing at all like my '99 Riviera.

As far as taking a look at the mid 70's, Cutlass or Chevelles..... they are larger yet than the 80's RWD G-bodies. Very closely a predecessor design to the B and C Bodies.....Chevrolet Caprice, Oldsmobile 98,etc.

As far as putting a manual transmission in one of our rivieras, I would have to agree that it would be a lot of custom fabrication/work.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 1:27 pm

just some links I found, others might find them interesting:
http://www.gearsgarage.com/ggforum/general-motors/229-buick-3800-turbocharge-six-6-speed-fwd.html

http://www.gpona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4271

Special

Name : Anthony A

PostSubject: manual tranmision   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 5:11 am

I am sure I am not the first person to ask about a manual tranny swap. but I've done a lil research and have came here with a question that maybe you guys with a lot more knowledge than myself might can help me with. I use to have a 97' Cutlass Supreme SL, 3.4 dohc with a 5 speed. Well I looked and the the 3.4 bolted the same automatic trans that is in my 97' Riviera. So would the 5 speed Getrag transmission that was in the Cutlass not bolt up to the 3800 engine as well???? Hope that all made since. I'm probably just grasping at straws....
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:02 am

I know there are guys that transplanted supercharged 3800s in Fieros with 5 speed manuals, so I would think it could be done. If you search a Fiero forum, you could compile some information as to what needs to be done. Things like whether the crank on the Riv engine would need to be drilled for a pilot bushing and what flywheel you would need. Then, there would be some wiring harness modification. The PCM would have to be programed for the manual transmission. I'm sure there would be much more that would need to be done, such as clutch pedal swap which may not be all that difficult. I am pretty sure Ryan at Sinister Performance specializes in this sort of thing. Go on his website and e-mail him. I'm sure he could at least rewrite your PCM after the swap is made.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 am

I'm not even sure that putting a manual gearbox in a Riv would be of any benefit whatsoever. With all the transmission upgrades and programming/tuning available, a manual swap would be a waste of parts, money, and time IMO.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 11:03 am

Abaddon wrote:
I'm not even sure that putting a manual gearbox in a Riv would be of any benefit whatsoever. With all the transmission upgrades and programming/tuning available, a manual swap would be a waste of parts, money, and time IMO.
Well, it looks like he has the parts, and time/money are only relative. I say do it, make some progress on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? Empty

Back to top Go down

Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next