Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?

Go down 
+19
1998 Riv
llamalor2112
turtleman
matt270avian
Abaddon
bigdave
SouthernRiviera75
Ash
albertj
Snowdog
Shintsu
greg_anderson_78
ewolfe0050
T Riley
Mr.Riviera
97rivsc
EASHER
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 11:35 am

I think that you'd run into problems regarding the axle shafts. You may be able to piece together a working whole axle shaft, but the length I think would be an issue. You're also looking at tuning concerns. The PCM requires data from all the sensors in the transmission to operate the car correctly. The output speed sensor is that same, but the input speed sensor isn't. You'd have to find a way to falsify input speed and pressure switch information, otherwise the car will be forced in open loop with no spark advance. Also, you'd have to jump the neutral safety switch in order to start the car. You'd be better off fabricating a stand-alone fuel system to make it work. That's what I meant by not worth it....there are too many variables and what-ifs. Now, if it's a project that you want to make work, by all means, go for it.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 1:57 pm

I'm definitely not the expert on this matter but I'm pretty sure you could work around the AT delete in the pcm but you'd definitely want to be running a 1998 PCM for programming/compatibility reasons. That's the only PCM that we know we can alter the whole operating system for a major change like this.
Not to shoot down dreams but that getrag was used in various cars but never in any ~4000lb land yachts.. The riv is a car that I don't think a larger auto would have been overkill at all. The getrag is built well but it's not made for tanks.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 2:24 pm

turtleman wrote:
I'm definitely not the expert on this matter but I'm pretty sure you could work around the AT delete in the pcm but you'd definitely want to be running a 1998 PCM for programming/compatibility reasons. That's the only PCM that we know we can alter the whole operating system for a major change like this.
Not to shoot down dreams but that getrag was used in various cars but never in any ~4000lb land yachts.. The riv is a car that I don't think a larger auto would have been overkill at all. The getrag is built well but it's not made for tanks.
Right. It was also only in the 3.4L-3.2L configurations...certainly not in a potential torque-monster S/C 3800.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 3:06 pm

There's a guy on the reatta boards with a s1 3800sc mated to a gm f40 6spd tranny with great results. Worth lookin at
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 3:06 pm

SouthernRiviera75 wrote:
I am sure I am not the first person to ask about a manual tranny swap. but I've done a lil research and have came here with a question that maybe you guys with a lot more knowledge than myself might can help me with. I use to have a 97' Cutlass Supreme SL, 3.4 dohc with a 5 speed. Well I looked and the the 3.4 bolted the same automatic trans that is in my 97' Riviera. So would the 5 speed Getrag transmission that was in the Cutlass not bolt up to the 3800 engine as well???? Hope that all made since. I'm probably just grasping at straws....
Is this a 2nd car, or your daily driver? If it's just an extra car that you want to play around with, well that's up to you. If it's your DD, it doesn't seem a practical idea. If you want a DD with a stick, you'd be better off buying a car built that way. jmho
Back to top Go down
damnjetski
Amateur
damnjetski

Name : Christian
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Apparently somebody put the F40 in an 88 Lesabre with a series I 3800 and a turbo. The guy that did it says that they did put them in a fair number of GTPs. No word on performance past 300 hp, but his looks like it's about there. Unfortunately it was stolen in 2011, so if he hadn't pushed it into redline territory, there's no way to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XaI52yUDAw
Back to top Go down
bmcd9179
Fanatic
bmcd9179

Name : Bryson
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 9:27 pm

That's so sick!!
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 10:31 pm

SICK.......
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 pm

I know that guy. He really is a mechanical genius but he wasn't always the friendliest guy. He had a lot of very successful projects but unfortunately he was banned from LesabreT.com and not many of us over there have heard from him since probably 2011 when that car was stolen.

I wish I knew how far he got with the project too...he put a LOT of really awesome work into that car, including the Pontiac TGP hood louvers! He had an older '89 Lesabre T-type with a VERY built L67 with the same louvers. There's a cool picture of that car doing a burnout with tire smoke pouring out of the hood  happy .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?   Manual Trans Swap into a Riv? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Manual Trans Swap into a Riv?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2