Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

A/C compressor problems

Go down 
+4
whit2285
dreww
deekster_caddy
steve1173
8 posters
AuthorMessage
steve1173
Amateur

Name : stephen rabinowitz
Merit : 0

A/C compressor problems Empty
PostSubject: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 am

om my 98 the a/c compressor was leaking, my mechanic installed a rebuilt that also leaked so we went for a new one which was really my first choice. He gets his parts from Discount Auto, well now after 3 weeks in is cool not cold. He vacummed out the system to make sure no moisture & found only 2 lbs. of charge & also either the low pressure or was it the high pressure was too high ( he said the right one but I can't remember which but it was the left hand gauge). He put in the 1/2 lb but it did not get better, he said the compressor is not pumping enough so it's off for another compressor from China from them under warranty. Do you think it was just a bad unit itself or junk from the manufacturer.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 am

I have dealt with mechanics who will only install new OEM A/C compressors. There must be a good reason for that...

Did he add a dye? Did he look for other leaks? It's not surprising to require other O-rings, it's actually pretty standard to put in a full Oring kit and new orifice tube and dryer when a compressor is replaced.
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:06 am

He replaced the orifice tube, o rings & dryer, just seems the new one is an inferior compressor.
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 1:43 am

i put a new brand name compressor in a few years ago when I did my entire ac replacement.

I had to replace my condensor again recently from damage and had the system evac'd. Then what happnes? The evac weakened the compressor seals which leaked all the oil out.

So even brand name OEM compressors dont stand up too well. Appears they got one or two evac's max before they blow seals. PITA
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 7:39 am

So I guess the lesson is - if you need any A/C work, replace everything at once and use an OEM compressor?

I'm lucky to still be on my original A/C charge...
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 7:00 am

Did replace everything at once, now on 3rd replacement. First was a reman that cooled great but leaked in 2 days. 2nd was a new one as is the 3rd. It cools but not really very cold. My mechanic says because they are supposed to suck harder then blow the freon where the now one blows, on the pressure gauge when he revs the motor the gauge does not lower. Is he right, have they changed the compressors to be more cost effective?
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 2:19 pm

steve1173 wrote:
Did replace everything at once, now on 3rd replacement. First was a reman that cooled great but leaked in 2 days. 2nd was a new one as is the 3rd. It cools but not really very cold. My mechanic says because they are supposed to suck harder then blow the freon where the now one blows, on the pressure gauge when he revs the motor the gauge does not lower. Is he right, have they changed the compressors to be more cost effective?

yay
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 5:46 pm

The new compressor is still not cold, just cool. When my mechanic puts the gauge on the new one on low pressure reads 42lbs., if he gives it the gas it goes to 36. He says it should go way below 30. Therre are no leaks. The first replacement was a reman, but it leaked so he put a brand new oem from discount auto, did not cool good so they gave another oem not gm & when he installed it it showed 32lbs now 40. Never got cold just cool, you can feel it if it blows on you but it really does not cool the car down. Any ideas????
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 7:15 pm

A blockage somewhere else in the system? Compressor demise can leave debris elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 12:39 pm

I have recently noticed my A/C compressor is ticking when ON. Not the ticking you hear when the clutch is engaging and disengaging.
I actually thought i had a cracked flex or valve tap based on how it sounded. Upon closer inspection the noise is coming from the compressor itself.
I hooked up a manifold gauge set and every looked normal to me. low side was around 45psi, high side 220 (90°+ outside), both sides leveled out at about 80 when the a/c was off.
i added a can of gm oil to the compressor hoping it would quiet down but no such luck.

The A/C still blows cold and holds pressure high and low, but should i start saving for a new compressor?

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 9:41 pm

steve1173 wrote:
He replaced the orifice tube, o rings & dryer, just seems the new one is an inferior compressor.

The Riv comes standard with a variable orifice tube and if you don't use another variable-orifice tube it's very likely the system will not cool enough.

Did he use a standard or variable orifice tube?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
I have recently noticed my A/C compressor is ticking when ON. Not the ticking you hear when the clutch is engaging and disengaging.
I actually thought i had a cracked flex or valve tap based on how it sounded. Upon closer inspection the noise is coming from the compressor itself.
I hooked up a manifold gauge set and every looked normal to me. low side was around 45psi, high side 220 (90°+ outside), both sides leveled out at about 80 when the a/c was off.
i added a can of gm oil to the compressor hoping it would quiet down but no such luck.

The clutch might be making the noise. If the compressor itself started to wear internally, you'd more than likely end up with little piston shavings built up on the orifice tube. You may want to check it if you have easy access to an A/C machine.

Last edited by Abaddon on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 10:06 pm

albertj wrote:
steve1173 wrote:

The Riv comes standard with a variable orifice tube and if you don't use another variable-orifice tube it's very likely the system will not cool enough.

Did he use a standard or variable orifice tube?

Albertj
Unfortunately the OP wrote about this problem in March of 09. Probably was the problem, but a little late to the party now.

Deekster also commented back then about the system having possible contaminates that weren't flushed out due to his previous compressor having suffered a possible catastrophic failure, sending metal all through the system.
But, I'll bet that a lot of Tech's are not familiar with the Variable Orifice Tube.
I don't make my living as a Tech on automobiles, but try to stay informed and I did not know about the Riv having one until you mentioned it some time ago on someone else's problem.

I had a leaking compressor that required replacement back when the car had a valid extended warranty. The warranty company shipped a kit to my mechanic at the time that consisted of a Compressor, Receiver - Dryer and Orifice Tube assembly. I still wonder if it was a variable orifice or not.
I assumed it must be due to the fact that the car's A/C works good under all conditions. It will get slightly warmer during prolonged idling at high ambient temps. But I have considered that normal since the industry changed from R-12 to R-134A. R-12 always had a much colder "feel" to it.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:12 am

Yeah I should have read closer. This thread is now about Matthew's ticking. I think his problem will be fragments in the system for the dying compressor. Might have to install one of the Cardone filters along with a replacement compressor.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:15 pm

How much time do i have and what will the symptom be down the road. I dont use the A/C if its cooler than 75 outside and in another month it will be like that outside. If the noise if coming from the internal parts of the compressor whats worse case scenario? clutch seizes, pulley seizes and the belt gets thrown?
If this project of replacing ALL of the A/C components can wait till spring that would be awesome.
I can take a video/audio clip of the noise if anyone thinks it would help diagnose the problem. Or is everyone certain its fragments in the compressor?

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Thats just it. It's not a matter of if, but when. I had an Aurora come in a few weeks ago. His concern was his air wasn't cold. Pressures were peaking at 450 on the High side. I pulled the orifice tube, and it looked like someone swept up metal shavings and put 'em in the system....almost totally plugged. His compressor was quiet though. It's possible there's a lil chunk bouncin around inside the compressor, stuck in one of the pistons somewhere. I'm curious to hear it if you feel like making a clip.

Question...does it make noise all the time or is it just with the A/C on? If it does it all the time, it's more than likely the Clutch.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 12:19 am

Only makes the noise when the A/C is on and it doenst do it until the compressor has been running for a minute or so.
I'll get a audio tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far/

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: A/C compressor problems   A/C compressor problems EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 5:03 pm

OK, here is a quick video i just took with my cell phone to show the sound i am hearing. This is of course with the A/C set to auto and 74°. Sound completely goes away when the a/c is OFF.