Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working

Go down 
+2
TonySmooth89
GMFreak8
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working Empty
PostSubject: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Ok, so I go out to start fixing some of the issues with the Riviera. First thing (which I thought would be the easiest) was to reprogram the remote for the doors. Well I jumped 8 and 4 on the OBD!! like in the directions. Nothing happens. I made sure that they were the right pins. Now I notice the doors will not lock when the button is pressed, the climate control only displays C and F for Celsius or Fahrenheit, and the gauges no longer function nor does the odometer come up. The dash gets lights, just nothing is functional. Did I blow a fuse or do something else to screw things up? Not really sure what I could have did. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 10:14 pm

Lol Same thing happened to me when i tried it too!

Its a blown fuse. But i don't remember which one.

I ended up going to the dealer and got it programmed for like 40 bucks or something later.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 10:31 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
Lol Same thing happened to me when i tried it too!

Its a blown fuse. But i don't remember which one.

I ended up going to the dealer and got it programmed for like 40 bucks or something later.

So it wasn't a fried computer or anything? What exactly was reprogrammed if it was just a blown fuse though? I went through every fuse I could find on the drivers side fuse panel and both fuse and breaker boxes under the rear seat and didn't find one fuse or breaker that needed to be replaced. Am I missing a fuse location?

I fixed a few things and broke about ten other things or so it seems. lol

Any additional details on what the dealer did to fix it would be greatly appreciated. happy
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 4:10 am

there is small fuse panel in the engine compartment...

wonder if anyone is selling a Tech II cheap.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 10:48 am

Actually my neighbor specializes in auto electric , and he fixed it for me , so i have no specifics on what fuse it was exactly.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 12:47 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
Actually my neighbor specializes in auto electric , and he fixed it for me , so i have no specifics on what fuse it was exactly.

As long as it's just a fuse, I can find it. I just don't want to put $200 into a new computer. lol Thanks for easing my mind. smile
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 12:52 pm

Lol no problem. I freaked out quite a bit myself when it happened.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 2:28 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:

You wouldn't happen to be able to walk over to your neighbors and ask him exactly what he did? I've gone through every fuse box I can find and nothing is blown. I did both the boxes under the seat, the fuse panel on the drivers side, and the fuse panel in the engine compartment. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the fuses. If you could find out a little more detail on exactly what he did I would truly appreciate it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 6:58 pm

You might be looking for a busted wire. Does your car have aftermarket alarm, remotestart or radio? Start there.

Hey folks - Is it possible there's a fusible link involved?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Do you have a test light? You could hook that up and test the fuses. Alternatively, the manual should say which fuse is responsible for operating the gauges.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 8:35 pm

GMFreak8 wrote:
Ok, so I go out to start fixing some of the issues with the Riviera. First thing (which I thought would be the easiest) was to reprogram the remote for the doors. Well I jumped 8 and 4 on the OBD!! like in the directions. Nothing happens. I made sure that they were the right pins. Now I notice the doors will not lock when the button is pressed, the climate control only displays C and F for Celsius or Fahrenheit, and the gauges no longer function nor does the odometer come up. The dash gets lights, just nothing is functional. Did I blow a fuse or do something else to screw things up? Not really sure what I could have did. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds to me like you did something other than a fuse...

On my wifes 99 I blew the fuse that controls the climate control and it would not lite up at all. Yours is displaying some data...no idea what could be your problem.

If it were me I guess I would try removing the batt. cable for a while and see if that helped. no

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 8:49 pm

I gave up. I went over every thing electrical that I could think of and didn't find anything. I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay the local buick dealer $68 an hour to find my screw up. I guess you live and learn. I'll definitely never try to reprogram a keyfob again on the Riviera. oops I will let everyone know how things go and what it was. Unless of course Tony can convince his neighbor to post here. wink
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 12:33 am

GMFreak8 wrote:
TonySmooth89 wrote:

You wouldn't happen to be able to walk over to your neighbors and ask him exactly what he did? I've gone through every fuse box I can find and nothing is blown. I did both the boxes under the seat, the fuse panel on the drivers side, and the fuse panel in the engine compartment. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the fuses. If you could find out a little more detail on exactly what he did I would truly appreciate it. Thanks.

He probably wouldn't remember but i'll try if i can find him home at a reasonable hour.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 4:54 pm

TonySmooth89 wrote:
GMFreak8 wrote:
TonySmooth89 wrote:

He probably wouldn't remember but i'll try if i can find him home at a reasonable hour.

Alright let me know either way. I don't have an appointment with the stealership until the 24th, so if he can remember in the mean time it would definitely save me some cash.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Any update on your neighbor? lol
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 11:25 pm

No haven't had much time between work and my brothers wife giving birth to a beautiful set of twins i haven't been able to run over there. I work tommorow all day but if i run into him i'll ask.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Alright, let me know if you do hear anything.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 1:44 pm

You did try removing the batt. cable for a while...just in case?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 3:27 pm

ibmoses wrote:
You did try removing the batt. cable for a while...just in case?

Bert tavis

Yup, didn't do a thing. I left it removed for a good 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 3:53 am

About that fuse - did you just check visually or did you use a tester (those Littelfuse or Buss LED gadgets). Reason I ask is that sometimes - not very often - a fuse blows such that it looks OK visually but actually is blown, can;t tell without actually testing.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Well apparently it was two separate fuses under the rear seat that blew. So you were right albert, apparently it was just blown enough to make it hard to detect it visually. Now I have a problem with my rear driving lights not going off...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 9:31 pm

GMFreak8 wrote:
Well apparently it was two separate fuses under the rear seat that blew. So you were right albert, apparently it was just blown enough to make it hard to detect it visually. Now I have a problem with my rear driving lights not going off...

you are welcome.

voice of experience.

albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 9:32 pm

rear driving lights or rear brake lights? Probably you have a bum brake switch or a short - but we need more detail.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Quote:
It's me again. Yesterday everything was working great in the car. Today I go out and I notice my tail lights look like they are on. I figured it was the sun so I try to start it just to make sure. Sure enough I had a dead battery. Upon closer inspection the rear lights are constantly on. It's separate from the brake lights, it's the actual driving lights that are stuck on. I thought maybe it was the brake light switch, but that rules that out. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know where I could look to locate an issue with this? Thanks for any help in advance. Kyle.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 11:13 pm

albertj wrote:
rear driving lights or rear brake lights? Probably you have a bum brake switch or a short - but we need more detail.

Albertj

It's the rear driving lights. When stepping on the brake the third brake light lights up and the separate brake lights within the tail light assembly come on. Letting up on the brake shuts the lights off. The regular driving lights will remain on until the battery dies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working   Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working Empty

Back to top Go down

Gauges, Odometer, Climate Control No Longer Working
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next