Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.

Go down 
+3
deekster_caddy
albertj
1995 Riv
7 posters
AuthorMessage
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. Empty
PostSubject: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 5:10 pm

A/C, tried adding freon the can got cold but nothing else changed never had a problem, 154k until now. It seems to cycle every 3-5 seconds at idle. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 6:38 pm

You're in Columbus - odds are there's more than one good independent mechanic who services A/Cs. Take it there.

Most likely the system's just leaking slowly somewhere, a bit of dye and a UV light will find the leak. Then the system has to be evacuated (which is why you need the tech unless you have your own rig to pull the vacuum), the leaky component/fitting repaired, the receiver/dryer and orifice valve replaced (they are not that much $$) and then the system refilled. Ask the tech to put in a variable orifice valve if you have a choice, they work better.

Less likely is there's just a bad limit switch.

But you still need the tech, in case you have to pull the refrigerant out and service the compressor or the plumbing.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 6:58 am

You can't just add freon if it doesn't need it. You need to know the pressures. The compressor is supposed to cycle on and off, it turns off if it reaches a certain pressure. It's normal to do. It will also turn off for low pressure, though.

In my experiences, most A/C leaks are in the compressor, which can be an expensive job. frown

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Apparently I did not wait long enough for freon to go in. I tried it again later and the a/c started to blow cold. It may need some more. Thanks for the posts Albert and Deekster.
Back to top Go down
Jayrydingslab
Amateur
Jayrydingslab

Name : REMY

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:00 pm

my compressor comes on but the guage i had on drops in pressure when the clutch kicks on what do you guys think is da problem
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Jayrydingslab wrote:
my compressor comes on but the guage i had on drops in pressure when the clutch kicks on what do you guys think is da problem
Do ya no wat da gage is sayin.? or suppose to be sayin.?
The factory manual mite tell ya, i don't no tho.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:24 am

Jayrydingslab wrote:

What kind of gauge are you talking about? My guess is the kind that comes with the little cans of refrigerant -- in whcih case, your best move is to re-read the directions that came with it.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:34 am

The pressures ARE supposed to drop and rise. With a proper set of gauges, you will see this. The high side pressure climbs until it reaches a pre-determined pressure. As the high side rises, the low side pressure drops. This is when the compressor comes on. then the low side pressure rises and the high side pressure drops. It's a never ending cycle. The only pressure you need to worry about is the MAX pressure rating of the system. Adding too much R134A will blow up the compressor.

So, this pressure drop your experiencing is normal. DO NOT add any more R134 unless you have the proper tools to measure low side and high side pressures.
Back to top Go down
bullseye-shawn
bullseye-shawn

Name : shawn
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Okay guys my A/C used to work great day in and day out and then all of a sudden I can not get it to work at all. I checked and the A/C comp. is not turning on. The clutch is not even engaging. Before this the car was ice cold so I doubt its not kicking in because of too low of R134A. And before this happened my outside temp display has been flashing. It would flash for about a minute then stay solid for about 5 minutes then flash again.
Any help is appreciated
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:48 pm

does your outside temp read properly after the flashing stops? There is a safety built into the computer so if it's less than 40 degrees outside the compressor won't run. Not sure if the computer safety is attached to the intake air temp or the sensor behind the front bumper though. You should check both. I think the one behind the front bumper is responsible for the HVAC readout.
Back to top Go down
bullseye-shawn
bullseye-shawn

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:55 pm

yes and I took off the plastic panel that its hooked to for my replacement radiator so I tucked it behind my front bumper and going down the road it fell down and rubbed the ground. When I got home I seen it right away and fixed it but alot was rubbed off. This was like 2 months ago. Do you think that the sensor being bad is making it not run now? Will disconnecting it fix the A/C temporarly? I have a 9 month pregnant ol lady thats ready to pop any day now and this is one of the hottest michigan summers we,ve had in years
Thanks Derek
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Is the outside temperature displayed on the HVAC unit? If it is not displayed, then the Outside Air Temp sensor could be faulty (which would cause what Deekster has described) causing the A/C Compressor not to engage.

The display will flash if it detects an error other than a OAT sensor fault (or so they say). A good scanner can retrieve the fault code within the module.

The codes will display as triple digit, with a "C" for current, or an "H" for history after it. I would scan the car to get any of these codes.

A shorted or open OATS circuit will set code 010.
Back to top Go down
bullseye-shawn
bullseye-shawn

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 pm

I will be going to the dealt to get a new sensor this week. There is no temp displayed. I unplugged the sensor and the AC is working now but the sensor is garbage. Replacement will fix this I'm sure. More than half of it was ground away. Oooops
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.   A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off. Empty

Back to top Go down

A/C not cold compressor cycles on and off.
Page 1 of 1