Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Series I port and polish?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sag
Enthusiast
Sag

Name : Martin
Merit : 0

Series I port and polish? Empty
PostSubject: How to port a blower?   Series I port and polish? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2008 5:25 pm

I'm on a m62 rebuild (out of a 237000km car)and wanted to know if anyone got experience on porting a blower housing or the lower intake?
Back to top Go down
95ParkAveUltra

PostSubject: Series I port and polish?   Series I port and polish? EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:12 am

got a few ?s. im thinking about p&p the TB S/C and LIM. im just goin to match the TB to the S/C. not sure if theres that much of a difference. dont really want to go past a mm or so. input on this would be awesome (whats safe, whats not). as for the S/C, really just goin to polish the incoming air passage. but was curious on whether or not to open up the triangle shape some. i have heard from m90 ppl that it has big gains (more air allowed thru). again not sure more input would help. and the LIM, prolly just goin to wash it and port the runners to match the heads, then polish just alil. hoping just to have it down about two days. what does everyone think? all opinions and advice welcome.....

on a side note. i know i have seen it somewhere, of talk about blocking the water passages to the s/c. is it really worth it or not?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Series I port and polish?   Series I port and polish? EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 5:02 am

where my heads are concerned,i dont know if the 95 differs from later years,but a respected cylinder repair shop in town sez that the head design of the 95 rivi does not take the p/p job too well. he sez money is better spent on just a good rebuild and some smoothing out around the valves. i hope to get the heads off this weekend and drop em off for a 3 day turnaround rebuild. cost + parts is $ 336. not too shabby. i asked about the p/p and the guy honestly sed that he would like to take my money but the design of the heads makes this mod not worth it? i was stunned. its something i allways wanted to do. ill take his advise. but before i slap em back on ill mark off the exhaust ports and take off excess crap. and while im at it ill take a look at the intake and see if i can at least do something? i cant see how removing rough casting can harm the heads if im careful not to take off too much. ill take a chance.
Back to top Go down
95ParkAveUltra

PostSubject: Re: Series I port and polish?   Series I port and polish? EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 2:56 pm

i didnt plan on touching the heads at all. just port matching the LIM to the heads. but most def. let me know how it goes and if its worth it to touch the heads at all.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Series I port and polish?   Series I port and polish? EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:31 pm

With a supercharged engine port matching is all I would do. As I believe thats all it needs with a positive displacement pump forcing air in.
Unless you have extensive data available to you from a flow bench and multiple variations of port designs backed up by flow data, I'd be hesitant to do much more than that.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Series I port and polish?   Series I port and polish? EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Intense says their stage 4 heads are "extensively ported." Link
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Series I port and polish?   Series I port and polish? EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Intense says their stage 4 heads are "extensively ported." Link
And the combustion chambers (stock = 62 cc, Stage 3 and Stage 4 = 61 cc) are fully polished.
Notice the cyl. head combustion chamber is smaller on the finished product.

This is exactly what i was referring to...without extensive experience and a solid knowledge base with dyno and flowbench data to back you up, the home mechanic should only try some simple port matching and maybe smoothing of some rough casting without removing too much material. Otherwise you could end up doing more harm than good. Removing too much material is a common mistake made by the unqualified.
More is not always better, especially in the wrong places. Increasing flow sometimes involves adding material and reshaping the original design of the ports and combustion chamber for more efficiency.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Series I port and polish?   Series I port and polish? Empty

Back to top Go down

Series I port and polish?
Page 1 of 1