Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination

Go down 
+8
L67
#1BearsFan
krazyfish
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
Rickw
deekster_caddy
Rivlanta
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rivlanta
Rivlanta

Name : Craig
Merit : 22

Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination Empty
PostSubject: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 6:14 pm

I've been searching for any past information on the TRIP SET/TRAC CNTRL switch to confirm that it is supposed to light up with the other dimmer-controlled dash lights. Mine is not lighting up. Looking at the schematics, they seem to confirm that there is indeed an internal lamp. If so, anyone know if the lamp is replaceable or is this a complete switch swap-out repair? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 6:19 pm

I know mine does not have any illumination, and it does not appear like it's supposed to. I'll have to look at the schematics again!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Mine doesn't illuminate either, don't need it to.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 7:21 pm

The trac/odo reset does indeed light up on my 96 riv. hard to see in daylight w/lights on.

Last edited by Mr.Riviera on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 9:16 pm

I just checked. Those controls are illuminated on the wifes 99 Riv scratch

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 9:21 pm

neat!
...got pics?

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Oh well, I guess I have a burned out bulb or something. But I'm not going out of my way to fix it.
If i should find myself with the switch out someday for some reason I'll fix it then.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 9:22 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
neat!
...got pics?
Suffice it to say, It looks just like your switch only with the letters illuminated.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 9:46 pm

I wonder if those controls are only illuminated on a 99 Riv ?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
krazyfish
Enthusiast

Name : Jerred
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Mine lights up also.
Back to top Go down
Rivlanta
Rivlanta

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 5:51 am

Thanks all...sounds like it is supposed to light, but many of us have "burned-out" lamps inside the switch. Will take a closer look next time I have the dash panel off and will update if I find out anything regarding lamp replacement.
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:43 am

I had the same problem with my last vehicle, the pod lights on the steering wheel controls burned out. I modified them and replaced the original incandescent bulbs with LED's. Easy enough to do and not expensive either. I have some info if others are interested and have minimal skills with a soldering iron......
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 am

BTW.... nice lookin Riv Craig!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:31 pm

I noticed mine were on tonight. So i guess it applies to almost all years (still not sure about 95s)
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 11:22 pm

I’m not sure if anybody really gives a shit or not but I thought I would clarify this some …

On the ’95, the switch is for TRIP RESET/REAR DEFOG, IS illuminated, and the TRACTION CONTROL button is located on the left side of the knee bolster, and it is also illuminated.
I’m guess here, ’96 and newer, I know it is on the ’99, has the REAR DEFOG button with the HVAC controls on the dash and the switch in question is for TRIP RESET/TRAC CONTROL for those years, it IS illuminated on my ’99.

I have added pictures of the ’95 switch and the bulb if anyone is interested, I’m guessing again here that the switch at least resembles this one for the later years and the bulb would be replaceable, just not sure of availability?

Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination Switch10

Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination Switch11

Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination Switch12

The advantage of having spare parts lying around, pictures come a little easier.

Just thought I’d clarify some, like I said if anybody really gives a shit!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 11:30 pm

i edited my previous statement oops it didnt look like the letters could show light, and it was daytime, so even with the lights on it still looked off.

anyways, here is what they should look like on a 96+ riv. (yes i'm that bored, i just went out in my garage to take this pic lol )

Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination P7200011

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 11:44 pm

That bulb looks like one of the GE #74 or #194 type. Does the bulb have a number printed on it? As for the #74, sometimes WalMart has them; pretty much all the time you can find them at Advantage and AutoZone. In CLEAR though. Sometimes you can find the #168 in turquoise or green. For a clear bulb, to get the turquoise you will need a paint marker, available at a craft store. THey are intended for painting "stained glass" for hobbyists BUT wonder of wonders they are the perfect color for incandescent dash bulbs. The marker is the Vitrea 160 "glass paint" "glossy marker" #116084, UPC 3-167861-160841. It comes with instructions for glass - BUT basically what you do is clean the bulb with 91% or stronger alcohol (not drinking hooch, just drugstore Isopropyl), then put the bulb back in holder (for convenience) and allow to air dry. Then evenly paint one coat of the glass paint on the bulb; do NOT give a second coat, do NOT overlap strokes, do NOT leave white/clear spots (don't worry you'll get the hang of it and if not just use alcohol and a paper towel to get the paint off, rinse with alcohol and allow to air dry, then do it again). Allow the paint to air dry (IIRC takes an hour or so) then reinstall the bulb. The paint will bake on with the heat from the light when operating.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rivlanta
Rivlanta

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks all...very helpful to see the lamp and where it installs. I have a few leftover bulbs from my HVAC Control Panel/Radio bulb replacement project, so I should be able to work something up. Interesting how the '95 uses the Rear Defog button instead of TRAC CNTL!

Bears#1 Fan Bill...ditto on the great-looking '97!
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 1:44 pm

albertj wrote:
Does the bulb have a number printed on it?
No part number on it, not a #194, don't know about a #74 though? I tried looking for it in my crash manual and the service manual but no part number listed? The blue covering is a rubber like substance and the bulb is wired directly into the base. I’ll look a little further and see what I can find.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 1:54 pm

If you can tell me how big is the bulb I can figure it out.

If the bulb is hard-wired into the base, you could replace it with a grain-of-wheat bulb. Same paint-pen drill as I described above to get it the right color. If you happen to find any number that would help. If I got a better look at the bulb - odds are that one of the LED sites selling instrument panel bulbs has them made up already.

Edit: because of where you are you might want to call to see if any car radio repair places have the bulbs and will sell you some "cash and carry." When I lived in Pittsburgh I would buy appliance parts from a repair shop at jobber prices - the guy said 'if you can get it apart you deserve to get parts;' there were signs up about no counter sales and such but that basically ws to discourage yahoos. Kind of like a deli in NYC I go to that always has an Out Of Order sign up on the bathroom. It works. They just don't want non-customers camping out and stinking the place up.

Albertj

Albertj
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 7:47 pm

albertj wrote:
Albertj
The one I pictured still works so I don't want to tear it apart just now. I should have time this weekend to give you some sizes, or at least a comparison to a 194, if you want to figure out what it might be.
I did call the dealer and their answer to a bad bulb is to replace the whole switch! Not a good answer when a $0.99 bulb would/might fix the problem?!?

Randall
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 8:18 pm

99Rivman wrote:
albertj wrote:
Albertj
The one I pictured still works so I don't want to tear it apart just now. I should have time this weekend to give you some sizes, or at least a comparison to a 194, if you want to figure out what it might be.
I did call the dealer and their answer to a bad bulb is to replace the whole switch! Not a good answer when a $0.99 bulb would/might fix the problem?!?

Randall

Maybe we should ask Ed Morad?!?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 2:35 pm

Anyone know if the headlight switch is illuminated in the same manner? One side of my switch is dark, the other is lit up. Headlights work fine, just the illumination.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 5:13 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
Anyone know if the headlight switch is illuminated in the same manner? One side of my switch is dark, the other is lit up. Headlights work fine, just the illumination.

Left vs right, or top vs bottom?
I know that the twilight sentinel part of my switch doesn't light up at only 87,000 miles...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 5:18 pm

99Rivman wrote:
I’m not sure if anybody really gives a shit or not...

WE DO, WE DO! bounce

Thanks for the great picture series, you got a '+' for that...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination   Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination Empty

Back to top Go down

Trip Set/Trac Cntrl Switch Illumination
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next