Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Mod Advice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SlymJym350
Rookie

Name : SlymJym
Merit : 2

Mod Advice Empty
PostSubject: Mod Advice   Mod Advice EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 11:30 am

Needed a little direction. Would it be beneficial to use the OBX headers or to get the ZZP PLOG?

I'd like to stick with safe mods.

I was also going to ask about the bonny computer. Can I use the newer computer or would it be safer to stick with the 96 PCM?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Mod Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod Advice   Mod Advice EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 11:51 am

Yes, you should change the springs with that cam. Also, from your list I would choose these:

Thrasher Modular Pulley New 3.25
OBX Header with 3" downpipe
Comp Cam Custom Grind Cam .050 - INT 210 EXH 220 .507 Lft +2deg

and skip the 3.1 until you know how things are running. I think you'll have an easier time getting the 3.25 to run with the headers, although there are advanced tuners out there who can make it all work without headers (PLOG and ported rear manifold at minimum). Smaller than a 3.25 pulley and you are most likely looking at an intercooler...

As to the computer - you should stick with your '96 computer, the newer ones are looking to control the newer transmission as well. If you are sticking with the '96 transmission you'll want to stick with the '96 computer, and hopefully find someone in your area (check for local grand prix clubs) who has a DHP PowerTuner - that's the only tuning package that can work on a '96.

If you can't find a tuner, your other option is to get a good scan tool, and you can modify fuel mixtures with an "AFC" available at ZZPerformance.

Good luck!!

Don't put the small pulley on unless you do the cam!!!!
Back to top Go down
SlymJym350
Rookie

Mod Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod Advice   Mod Advice EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 3:55 pm

I wonder if that AFC deal works by tricking the computer to think that the air is actually colder than whats going in? I know on my ZX2 you can wire in a resister with the IAT, (intake air temp) to make the computer think its actually reading about 10 degrees cooler than it is outside. I went from getting 28mpg to 33 in the Z, with same driving habits.

Is the AFC pretty easy to fine tune? I couldn't find a write up about it.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Mod Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod Advice   Mod Advice EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Not colder, you are altering the frequency (HZ) of the MAF, which fools the computer into thinking there is more air entering the motor, so it adds more fuel. It can be scaled so that at low airflow ranges it doesn't alter much, and at high ranges it can make more of an impact, or however you want to do it. Just keep in mind that by the time you spend tuning an AFC and buying a "good" scan tool, you are only steps away from the cost of buying a tuner in the first place, with which you can do so much more...
Back to top Go down
SlymJym350
Rookie

Mod Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod Advice   Mod Advice EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 8:38 am

are their certain brand of tuners to stay away from? Is this something I could do myself with a little homework?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Mod Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod Advice   Mod Advice EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 8:57 am

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

Mod Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod Advice   Mod Advice EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 10:07 am

Being a 96 your only options I'm aware of would be DHP or GMtuners.com
Back to top Go down