Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

ABS delete

Go down 
+13
moldymac
98inSFl
Phil
GMFreak8
1998 Riv
T Riley
Snowdog
Rickw
deekster_caddy
AA
BMD
ewolfe0050
robotennis61
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

ABS delete - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm

and obviously someone got their feelings hurt cause i have a negative integrity mark on 2nd to last post, negative integrity scores dont bother me its just a number. you leaving me a negative mark only shows how immature you really are that you cant even listen to someone elses opinion.
Quote :
i drive with ABS so EVERYONE else has to and they HAVE to like it and ALWAYS agree with me

seriously what is it with you people that cant have a god damn civilized conversation and try to understand other peoples views while sharing yours at the same time? if aaron can do it why the hell cant anyone else? hes the only one that ever seems to make conversation even if it seems like he knows im wrong. and again to the cry baby, how hard is it to PM me and say youre a little girl and please take it easy even though i wasnt targeting ANY SINGLE PERSON besides "eldo" that was disrespecting me when he doesnt know WTF hes talking about. its a lot more mature than anonymously giving me a bad integrity mark. another cry baby not getting their way...
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:26 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
don't sweat it so tyler.
the real crux of the matter is that had you agreed to a Prince Albert long ago,there might be a more accepting opinion of you.
get it done buddy! you wont regret it! banana banana banana 3gears
im not sure i completely understand what youre saying
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:28 pm

ahh don't worry bout it? its probably not a good idea anyway....
a Prince Albert aint for everyone.....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Hey Tyler,
I remember being 19 (it wasn't that long ago) and thinking I was the best driver in the world. Then in a moment of inattentiveness I didn't notice the guy two cars in front of the Airborne Express van in front of me had stopped suddenly to let someone pull out in front of him. I looked up too late and locked up all 4 wheels, slid into the back of the van. I was going about 30 when I hit the brakes, maybe 20 when I hit the van. My '73 LeSabre did NOT have ABS wink but in that case it wouldn't have helped. My options were a telephone pole to my right, oncoming traffic to my left, or take the straight shot into the van. I could have done a better job modulating the pedal, but it's this thing called a 'Panic Stop'. I am and (almost) always have been a very attentive driver, but sometimes shit happens. I do believe in that case ABS would have made my stop shorter, because it was a dry pavement panic lockup. It's this kind of experience that makes you appreciate just what ABS is capable of. As the technology has developed further, ABS is even better. Todays cars ABS is even better than the ABS in our Rivs.

So what happens in an ABS vehicle if the ABS suddenly stops working, and the driver doesn't know how to stop without ABS? Well mostly nothing. If a panic situation happens, hopefully the few bits they mentioned in Driver's Ed about braking and skidding come back to mind. Hopefully drivers today still go practice skids in snowy parking lots like we used to. That's all you can really hope for. Driver Training is not the reason ABS shouldn't be used. ABS saves a lot of lives.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am

i never said it didnt work for some people, it scares the shit out of me though. do you mind me asking how good your tires were when that accident happened? a lot of times it also depends on the car, the tires, the struts, and even the brakes themselves, because i remember my grand am couldnt stop good at all but that doesnt mean i hit anyone. i drive to my ability and the ability of the car im in, im not an idiot. i keep all of the above parts listed good on my buick, and it stops just fine without ABS. now if i had the 16s that came with the car with those rock hard tires that barely have any tread left, then yeah i think ABS might help in that situation, but i dont drive with those tires because ABS isnt going to help on acceleration or around a corner. if your tires suck, they suck, theres nothing thats going to make up for that. my summer and winter tires are good enough to where ive never needed ABS, maybe thats what some people need to take into mind when their tires lock in the first place.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 am

robotennis61 wrote:
don't sweat it so tyler.
the real crux of the matter is that had you agreed to a Prince Albert long ago,there might be a more accepting opinion of you.
get it done buddy! you wont regret it! banana banana banana 3gears
finally found out what this meant, well, half of it anyways. all i can say is im glad i did a google web search instead of an image search...
still dont understand why i would want one though lol...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 am

Tires are important, but they are a completely separate issue. Traction is independent of ABS's ability to function. Good tires do not replace ABS - they make ABS function even better than it did with so-so tires, just like the same tires would help you to stop the car better manually.

ABS is not a substitute for bad tires, it is an additional safety measure that works the same way, no matter what tires you run. Run better tires, sure you can stop the car better yourself, but you can also watch ABS increase in performance just the same. So tires are a moot point.

Same thing with wheel size. I'm not sure how you determine that 20"s stop your car faster than 16"s, but if that's true, ABS will also use that advantage to increase stopping performance.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 am

youre right, but i think ABS with bad tires would do better than no ABS with bad tires. it seems like it would be a lot closer comparison with really good tires because ABS only comes in to play when a wheel stops spinning. with good tires that dont lock as easy, ABS wouldnt even have to be used often at all. my 20s stop better because theyre not much heavier, but they have really good rubber and seem a lot more stable than the 2 sets of 16s i have.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 12:12 am

IMO, ABS just allows you to aim at what your gonna hit headbutt
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 12:47 am

Abaddon wrote:
IMO, ABS just allows you to aim at what your gonna hit headbutt

While I "get it", your argument also means that you can aim AWAY from what you're gonna' hit... My own bias is that in snow you can often avoid either by "snow-plowing" your front tires so as to slow/stop away from any targets.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: robos ABS delete pics   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 am

ABS delete - Page 4 HPIM1022

ABS delete - Page 4 HPIM1020-1

ABS delete - Page 4 HPIM1024

ABS delete - Page 4 HPIM1023

ABS delete - Page 4 HPIM1021

empty spaces left behind. i feel that the car stops much better now. i have the prop valve set slightly towards the front,but ill play with it some more..roughly 17 lbs gone. i removed all fuses,solenoids,wiring,everything. gone.engine bay is way clean now.

ABS delete - Page 4 HPIM1027

ABS delete - Page 4 HPIM1026

ABS delete - Page 4 HPIM1025

Last edited by robotennis61 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:31 am

Damn dude. Looks good. Question, did you delete all the codes that associate with the pump?
And what's that valve with the turn-handle?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:44 am

thanks. i deleted all codes. thats the proportioning valve. it controls front/ rear brake bias.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Great job robo, thats a very neat and tidy job and the engine bay does look cleaner. My ABS hasn't worked in years, might consider doing this. What I am also especially amazed at is the fact that your car/frame shows NO signs of rust in the usual places. Man do I wish I lived in a warmer and dryer climate.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:55 pm

The beauty of living out west! the kit was sold to me by smjmanufacturing,out of New Jersey. he specializes in Mustangs and Camaros but said he could hook me up. i wound up paying a little less,since it wasnt as comprehensive a kit as his GM and Ford kits,but i had to buy a few more feet of line and fittings. his model specific kits come with pre-bent lines,mine came with straight lines that i had to bend. took some thought. if anybody ever wanted to do it too,i could tell you exactly what you need without spending a fortune. lots of splicing,and i think the brake lines are the same for the series 1 and series II. A wilwood prop valve costs about $40 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Did you try using the original proportioning valves to the rear wheels. Or did you just order the Wilwood adjustable unit from the beginning along with the other fittings.

Just curious to see what the originals would measure for braking action compared to whatever you have dialed in to the adjustable unit.

No easy way to measure a simulated panic stop, except by the seat of the pants.
Not with out having a shitload of special test equipment.
Maybe some skidpads to measure braking force/application.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:08 pm

That's awesome man. I'd actually consider doing that once I get the beast built. Traction Control is useless anyway ABS delete - Page 4 Icon_win ABS delete - Page 4 Burnout
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Rickw wrote:
Did you try using the original proportioning valves to the rear wheels. Or did you just order the Wilwood adjustable unit from the beginning along with the other fittings.

Just curious to see what the originals would measure for braking action compared to whatever you have dialed in to the adjustable unit.

No easy way to measure a simulated panic stop, except by the seat of the pants.
Not with out having a shitload of special test equipment.
Maybe some skidpads to measure braking force/application.

I didn't try that Rick. by the time i figured the whole puzzle out,I just wanted to get it done. it was a PIA. the harbor freight flaring tool kept braking,i kept on going back for an exchange,having to wait for the GF to get home to use her car. PIA. the prop valve came with the kit. it wouldn't have worked with the stock prop valves that are plumbed to the rear. besides,its much tricker with just the willwood prop valve. i jammed the brakes hard a few times,and damned if the brakes work better. maybe its a psych thing but they feel smoother.i have the bias more towards the front and it feels good.

@ Abaddon yeah its useless. i can come to a corner at speed,jam the brakes make the corner and get pure drive. again,maybe its a psych thing but i feel the car performs better.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:40 pm

So your saying if you bought better made tools it would not have as much as a pain in the Ass.? I have a Snap-On 45* flaring tool for about 30 years now and still works as good as the day I bought it. I wouldn't trust HF to provide quality tools for that job.

The new flaring tool sold by Eastwood for $219.00/ on sale for $179.00 with all the sizes of mandrels on a turret that you turn to flair the tube by squeezing the handle and does either single, double or bubble flare, is what I want to get for when my ABS takes a dump and I'll eliminate the whole shebang as well. Very easy to use and precision flares as well.

I feel the same way about this early generation stuff (ABS & TC), not very useful to me and I learned to drive without it.

If it were a later model car with a much more sophisticated ABS and Traction Control, I'd think differently.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Rickw wrote: "If it were a later model car with a much more sophisticated ABS and Traction Control, I'd think differently"

i agree with you there. i dont recall all the tech systems out there,but i hear Audis is amazing.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Traction Control is useless anyway...

Oh, I wouldn't say that - In the rain I like having e-Posi... It helps maintain the acceleration and the arc on the corners.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 10:41 am

you're a wild man Eldo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ABS delete   ABS delete - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

ABS delete
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4