Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)

Go down 
+3
Rickw
turtleman
Natesriv
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Okay, got the car back and this will be the final update..

Got to be a litte precise here, but I think problem is solved.....

Okay...took car back, noise was still there. They had car for a week and did some more tweaking...Changed exhaust flange & gasket on rear bank. Changed pulleys , found a collapsed vacuum line and changed PCV valve....(they say)

Picked up car...went for drive..noise still there...worse than ever...FU_K!!!

So, for no reason, I took off S/C belt to see if noise was lessened with removal (we'd already done this at shop).. still there.

While putting belt back on I must have misaligned it...it ripped shortly after I put it back on....FU_K 2!...

So got new S/C belt, put it on (easy with modded lower engine mount)... put it all back togther and drove....noise GONE!

So I'm trying to figure out why it's suddenly fixed!...here's some ideas:
1: Finally successful in bleeding air bubbles out enough
2: They had over tightened the lower engine mount bolt...perhaps causing just the slightest misalignment (not sure on this)
3: New belt did the trick (NOT!)

I think it may have been an air bubble problem....since even with all new pulleys it still made that noise....but once I burped it a few times and squeezed the upper coolant hose (while holding the vent cap on the radiator open) it seems to have lessened/gone away...

So if I have any advice to anyone on this????
1: Get a vent-able radiator cap
2: BURP your coolant when you change water pump!
3: Change them pulleys!

Thanks guys! You were a great help! (you all suggested an air problem!)

Love my Riviera!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Well, that's good news.
When did you do the final burping.....after you replaced the belt I assume.
And what has been modded to help with the belt change.?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks for the props. Don't forget one last item:

4. Bleed the cooling system on an uphill slope...
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 7:17 am

Natesriv wrote:
I think it may have been an air bubble problem....since even with all new pulleys it still made that noise....but once I burped it a few times and squeezed the upper coolant hose (while holding the vent cap on the radiator open) it seems to have lessened/gone away...

Did you ever open the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing to let the air out?
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:15 pm

I did once open the bleed screw...coolant came out.

Let me ask a question ..... I have a redi-vent radiator cap (with a lever to release presssure).... been using it lately...

Run car, car is warm...get out...lift lever and I hear (and see) a bubbling noise in overflow tank.... Is that evidence of air trapped in my coolant...or just the pressure pushing fluid to the reservoir???
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:19 pm

Rickw wrote:
Well, that's good news.
When did you do the final burping.....after you replaced the belt I assume.
And what has been modded to help with the belt change.?

There's a post out here

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/write-up-replacing-belts-and-pulleys-t725.htm

which shows what I'm talking about..

Basically, to make it FAR easier to change the belts you'll need to first remove the engine mount by the belts. Once it's off you cut that lower mount bolt spacer in 1/2. You see, when you unscrew the lower mount bolt it won't come out all the way, it hits the frame. But after you have modded that spacer you can pop off the 1/2 which is free to move...then you can put a belt on or take on off in about 20 minutes... Not super easy, but far easier than always taking the engine mount off!!! It's saved my butt more than once!

Check out that url above!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:21 pm

That would be normal. Pressure is releasing fluid into the overflow tank.
If your gurgling noise is gone you can stop relieving the pressure from your radiator when hot.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Natesriv wrote:
I did once open the bleed screw...coolant came out.

Let me ask a question ..... I have a redi-vent radiator cap (with a lever to release presssure).... been using it lately...

Run car, car is warm...get out...lift lever and I hear (and see) a bubbling noise in overflow tank.... Is that evidence of air trapped in my coolant...or just the pressure pushing fluid to the reservoir???

yes. i have the same thing. i find that it takes about a week to get
everything out of the system with that. when i get home i'll pop the
hood and release the lever, pretty soon you will not hear any more bubbles escape from the rad.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)   New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Harmonic Balancer & Water Pump (weird sound??)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2