Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)

Go down 
+36
stan
charlieRobinson
Kcclarkjr
flyineagle96
Natesriv
bigdave
Jason
DEMonte1997
robotennis61
98riv
BMD
Sweepspear
BrianEsser
maggot
ibmoses
xxsupergman25xx
Eldo
Ryan from Ohio
albertj
Rickw
1995 Riv
JimmyRiviera
'96reese
deekster_caddy
turtleman
GeneMpls
T Riley
jrocha
Buapo
AA
jimmyriv
jax95riv
allfalldown
racinfan
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 10:52 pm

tool = cube thing

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
LT1Squirrel
Enthusiast

Name : EB
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 12:27 am

yeah, figured that out quick haha, thankfully my brother had one at his shop
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Hey Guys, I've looked here and online and can't find anything that shows you how to remove the integrated parking brake cable from the caliper when its time to replace them. Does anyone have any pics or can someone describe in detail how to separate the e-brake from the rear calipers?
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 7:15 pm

No one has replaced the rear calipers on their Riv?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 4:56 pm

BMD wrote:
No one has replaced the rear calipers on their Riv?

I've had them off this and other Buicks several times. It's a PITA to get the parking brake cable disconnected, but there is no magic to it. A good set of needle nose vice grips will help. You need to compress the spring and pull the cable out. The cable brackets unbolt and you also will want to unbolt the cable guide on the control arm. 13 and 14mm sockets to get everything off (I think)
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks Derek, I'll take a look at them. I plan to do 'em before the fall. If I need some help at that time, hopefully you'll be around to offer some direction. wink 
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 1:57 pm

BMD wrote:
Thanks Derek, I'll take a look at them. I plan to do 'em before the fall. If I need some help at that time, hopefully you'll be around to offer some direction. wink 

I can tell you that they aren't easy. But they aren't THAT hard either. I may or may not be able to admit that I fought with one for over an hour putting them back together one day. Usually it's a 5 minute job. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:

BMD wrote:

I can tell you that they aren't easy. But they aren't THAT hard either. I may or may not be able to admit that I fought with one for over an hour putting them back together one day. Usually it's a 5 minute job. Good luck.

Yep... if you remember to release the parking brake and if the adjuster's not wound too tight then you can get the cable back on with vise grips and a smile. If not, it will take a while.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 IMG_2249

Did my rear pads & rotors yesterday. Even though rusty, my original rear calipers are still working at 282855 miles. It's a pretty easy job that doesn't need to happen that often, but I did run into one snag. Here are a few tips:

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 IMG_2247

The way it's supposed to work, turning the piston clockwise compresses it into the caliper, providing space for fresh pads & rotor. For a long time this worked pretty well. I would even use a small air ratchet to speed things up. But a few years ago I noticed using the air ratchet didn't compress the piston, but using a manual, hand ratchet worked - very confusing, WTF??!

So Yesterday I was having trouble with the hand ratchet, too. Turning it, the piston wouldn't move into the caliper. I tried a little clamping pressure while turning the ratchet, and presto, it went right in. It seems the air ratchet didn't require a lot of pressing force, so that would explain it. If you're ever turning without results, try using a quick-grip style clamp over the ratchet head.

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 IMG_2251

At least once per year I like to lube the rear trailing arms with grease. Mine are rusty, and the grease boots are a little cracked, but keeping them lubed up has extended their life. Still very tight when I give them a good tug.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon
Merit : 3

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:17 pm

What kind of grease do you use, AA?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:26 pm

AGS Sil-glyde Brake Lubricant

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 $%28KGrHqNHJEwFJh9TTLHSBSeCtk1zhQ~~60_35

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 11:51 am

I like to put the bracked and caliper back in place without the rotor so there is something to push on without having the caliper all loose. Good idea about using the clamp!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next