Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)

Go down 
+36
stan
charlieRobinson
Kcclarkjr
flyineagle96
Natesriv
bigdave
Jason
DEMonte1997
robotennis61
98riv
BMD
Sweepspear
BrianEsser
maggot
ibmoses
xxsupergman25xx
Eldo
Ryan from Ohio
albertj
Rickw
1995 Riv
JimmyRiviera
'96reese
deekster_caddy
turtleman
GeneMpls
T Riley
jrocha
Buapo
AA
jimmyriv
jax95riv
allfalldown
racinfan
NO 4 EVR
Mr.Riviera
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 2:12 pm

xxsupergman25xx wrote:
do the 95-99 calipers fit interchangeably?

NO
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 2:17 pm

simply asked...simply answered. lol perfect.

so what else does the 95 fit with interchangeably? bonnes? grand prixs? years?
thankss
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Don't know, parts like that I just go to the auto parts store and order for my year, make and model and get what fit's with a warranty.
I know many other GM car's share the same calipers, just don't know which ones.
You can try asking the parts guy or a salvage yard has a database with interchangeability info.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 2:59 pm

if you need new caliper let me know and you can pick up my old ones on your way up.

95 and 96 had the same calipers. i believe the older park aves and bonnies had them too, but i dont know the years.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Scotty,
Are you having problems with your front calipers?
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 3:55 pm

technically no....but the previous owner did almost ZERO maintenance on the car. matt can vouch for me...the calipers and rotors are in awful condition. rust from the pittsburgh winters full of salt has just killed them...so matt said itd be a good idea to take care of all the little things such as calipers and rotors. matt also noticed i have an exhaust leak in the "lower exhaust manifold"(name?) i hope to have that looked at and fixed when i go home. after i take care of those things and everything is running properly ill think about investing some money into some mods.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 4:00 pm

yea i was flicking chunks of metal off the rear rotors.

when we did the sea foam there was a ton of smoke coming from the front manifold, so i'm guessing it rusted through somewhere.

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 4:27 pm

xxsupergman25xx wrote:
leak in the "lower exhaust manifold"(name?)
LIM = Lower Intake Manifold ?
Maybe that's what he said. It is a common problem on the 3800 engine.
It would be a good idea to get as much as you can done in Florida before you leave.
I know you don't have much money but if Matt is offering you the front calipers that's a start.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 4:36 pm

i think thats the name. well go with lower intake manifold. im def gonna get the calipers from matt. im mostly likely not going to get the leak fixed before i leave. up north at home not only is my dad the service manager, but i have a buddy who is a T-type freak. he has 2 and he said hed help me with stuff that i need. im just hopin its not too hard to fix and dont need a new one and just need a gasket or sumthing.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
when we did the sea foam there was a ton of smoke coming from the front manifold, so i'm guessing it rusted through somewhere.

Front Exhaust Manifold?????
If so, it could be just a gasket. If your lucky.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 5:01 pm

u need to stop confusin me with all these terms that look the same lol and we know its def more than a gasket...u could see a hole right as it comes up. matt believes it could just be welded there. but there was more smoke coming from under.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 5:13 pm

Sorry to confuse you but you should know what needs fixing before you go home.
Also, where getting way off topic on this thread. Supposed to be a Brake thread.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:42 pm

probably just a gasket, but there is a lot of rust down there.
oh, and to answer your pm, the calipers are painted red with caliper paint. painted by me.

Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 am

im guessing its the red ones at the begining of this topic except for the front?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:22 am

Dogshit. I'm pissed at myself for buying calipers from auto-cheapskate-zone, two calipers gone bad in two weeks. One is frozen and I don't feel like fixing it today. Drove it to work Friday and halfway home the right rear wheel was smoking shocked

Last edited by deekster_caddy on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:25 am

That sucks. Hopefully it didn't ruin or warp the new rotor's.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 9:34 pm

Just curious about the rear calper piston that must be rotated while pushing inward to get the piston to retract.

Are these calipers used on other GM vehicle also?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Yes, Many different ones. They are very common.
Do you have the small tool to help with retracting them?
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 9:56 pm

Rickw wrote:
Yes, Many different ones. They are very common.
Do you have the small tool to help with retracting them?

Thanks for the info. I will get one tomorrow. I love tools. clap

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 7:02 am

ibmoses wrote:
Just curious about the rear calper piston that must be rotated while pushing inward to get the piston to retract.

Are these calipers used on other GM vehicle also?

Bert tavis

Every Buick I've worked on since early 90s with rear discs has had this kind of rear caliper.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 8:48 am

And not just GM vehicles. I did brakes on a '93 Honda that also used this set-up. Seems to be somewhat universal.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 am

AA wrote:
And not just GM vehicles. I did brakes on a '93 Honda that also used this set-up. Seems to be somewhat universal.

It's a common "ATE" brake system.

With all the lowquality rebuilt calipers out there I wonder if it's time we started rebuilding them ourselves.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
maggot

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2009 1:47 am

I just replaced my Rotors and pads all around. I used this write up for the rears. This is an excellent write up Congrats! I didn't get the cube thing, i just use a pair of needle nose, it was easy enough. I replaced the rotors with Brembo's on the front(27038) and rear (27157), and Akebono Pro Act pads (ACT623 Front) & (ACT 714) Rear. It cost about $217.99 including shipping from Drivewire.com
Back to top Go down
BrianEsser
Enthusiast
BrianEsser

Name : Brian Esser
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 7:09 am

God, these brakes bring back memories. I remember when I was a tech, it was a quick $500 for calipers, pads and rotors on these cars when they first started appearing. They were mostly used on "W" Body GM's, was surprised to see them on the "G" body.

It's a craptacular system at best.

I much prefer the in-drum E-brake setup.

Matco makes a service kit for these brake systems that is the cats ass. I have one myself and it's paid for itself ten times over. The major issue with this system is the OE calipers had leaky seals on the caliper hardware which allowed water and muck to get in and rust and freeze the caliper, then when the brake pad wears to the point, that it no longer makes contact with the rotor, the brake on that wheel ceases to function, hence why you often take the wheel off to find the rotor rusted entirely, the kit comes with a ball-hone and several other special tools that allow you to clean up the caliper instead of replacing it, then simply replace the hardware. Not worth it if you are only doing it once, but if you do several of these cars, it's well worth the price.

This is compounded by the fact that people almost never use their emergency brake. If you want to help prevent issues, every morning, before you take off for the day, hit the e-brake once, release it and go on your way. It keeps the calipers adjusted and everything working properly
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianesser.com
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 7:21 am

BrianEsser wrote:
God, these brakes bring back memories. I remember when I was a tech, it was a quick $500 for calipers, pads and rotors on these cars when they first started appearing. They were mostly used on "W" Body GM's, was surprised to see them on the "G" body.

It's a craptacular system at best.

I much prefer the in-drum E-brake setup.

This is compounded by the fact that people almost never use their emergency brake. If you want to help prevent issues, every morning, before you take off for the day, hit the e-brake once, release it and go on your way. It keeps the calipers adjusted and everything working properly

I remember the same issues/advise when I had my E-Body Eldorado, and that is very good advise as far as actually USING the E-Brake... I have to tell you, though, that the changes in the rear of the Riviera (not the under-sized fronts!) beat the hell out of the old system... I've had my car for almost 5 years, and I've never had to replace those rear calipers - which was a regular occurrence on the Caddie... And clamping rear calipers, as opposed to drum-in-hat E-brakes, work much better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)   Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Replacing rear rotors and pads. (lots of pics)
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next