Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Tinting behind third brake light?

Go down 
+4
robotennis61
Snowdog
brmcm15
DEMonte1997
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

Tinting behind third brake light? Empty
PostSubject: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:14 am

I'm finally biting the bullet. $160 is the cheapest I could find but it's quality tint. Previously I wanted to go with 35 all the way around but now I'm leaning towards 20 (like I have in the Regal).

What do you guys think? Tint really seems to compliment a black car so well... Just the decision of how dark I want to go.

Last edited by DEMonte1997 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brmcm15
brmcm15

Name : Brandon
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:39 am

yeah i have 35 all around on mine and its starting to fade a little cause i've had it for about a year and a half now.

Tinting behind third brake light? DSC01175

what im planning on doing is buying one of those pre cut tints off of ebay and putting it on myself and just go with 5%.

i dont care if i get pulled over anymore, lol i already got warned a couple times with the 35% on.

personally i like the 'mudered out' look with the black riviera.

i would go with the 20% or maybe even 15%
Back to top Go down
Snowdog
Addict
Snowdog

Name : Timo
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:33 pm

im planing 20% on my riv.
had 20 on my last cars tho and they look nice and not too dark.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:37 pm

i have 20 and there are days where i would like it darker. you dont get hassled in vegas over tint. it gets so bright and hot that the cops leave you be. but i might upgrade to limo when the body work is complete and new tires and wheels are in the garage....i say do what you feel is best. limo at night is hard to see through..keep that in mind...
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:57 pm

i vote 20, i had 20 all around on my car until i got a few tickets. i now have walmart 35 on the front with the original 20 on the back plus 2 layers of 35 over that to make the front look lighter than it is. somewhat of an optical illusion for the police twisted
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:02 pm

LOL

Looks unanimous. 20 it is! Thanks guys. After looking at the Regal today I realized that anything less would probably be silly.
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:40 pm

yeah i definitely wouldnt go with anything darker than 20 especially on the rear window, it doesnt really matter with the rear doors because you dont really need them at night but for backing out with your mirrors i wouldnt have anything darker on the front doors or rear window
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:46 pm

heres a pic with 20 all around:
Tinting behind third brake light? DSC00488

and here are the only pics i have of the recent 35 on the front and 20/35/35 on the rear:
Tinting behind third brake light? DSC05905
Tinting behind third brake light? DSC05906
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:01 pm

For the record.. i have 20 %
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 pm

thats a sweet car, 97 pk ave.ill be shopping rims soon too!
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Yeah, those rims are amazing. Someone was selling a similar set a few weeks ago in 18" size. Should have snapped them up. Always loved that PA with the black accents. What color is your interior Tyler? ?
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 12:32 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
thats a sweet car, 97 pk ave.ill be shopping rims soon too!
thanks!

DEMonte1977 wrote:
Yeah, those rims are amazing. Someone was selling a similar set a few weeks ago in 18" size. Should have snapped them up. Always loved that PA with the black accents. What color is your interior Tyler? ?
i like them a lot too, i really hope i dont have to end up selling them for some 18s when i lower my car in the spring. i have been taking really good care of them though and hoping nothing happens cause i cant find them anywhere anymore im guessing theyre discontinued evil
my interior is a kind of light grey, similar to what ive seen in the regals. id love for it to be darker (preferably black) but it seems that the only other colors for the PA are maroon or the dark blue which im not really a fan of either.
these seem to be the only pictures i have that you can kind of see the interior color but you get the idea, my floor is dirty in the second pic and that was just to see the look of the under dash leds believe me i didnt leave that wire hanging like that im not that lazy lol :
Tinting behind third brake light? DSC05910
Tinting behind third brake light? DSC05916
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 2:41 pm

So I got my windows tinted today and think the person doing it screwed up. I asked her if the back window would be giving any problems and she said it wasn't bad at all. Come to find out she just cut the tint around the third brake light. Is this typical? I'm guessing it's just a cheap ass tint job because the Regal has the complete back window tinted. If I knew this place was going to do that, I would have just taken the whole decklid out... Ugh.

Just curious what you guys think... neutral

If most of you have the whole rear window tinted I guess I'll remove this crud and see if a good place and tint it.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 2:58 pm

this was done on my car too i later discovered. i suppose the right way would be to remove the 3rd brake light and tint the whole thing but asking to have that done might be more than someone is willing to do. the guy did a nice job on mine ,he cut around the 3rd B.L real close so it looks good and im not too unhappy about it. maybe next time around ill remove the 3rd b.L and have the whole window done...as long as the rest of the job looks good and neat i wouldnt worry too much about it...go for a ride and have fun
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 6:35 pm

DEMonte1997 wrote:
Rick,
When you come across some 18" wheels, will you give me a holler.
Thanks, the other Rick.\
You live close enough, i could come look and buy.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 8:31 pm

^^^ LOL

Ugh.... OtherRick. You crack me up man. smile
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 am

The '99 SA I flew to TX to buy had the windows tinted, it was also cut out around the third brake light, it was done well so it doesn't bother me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:24 pm

same as others have said, my 3rd brake light was cut around and at the time i wasnt too happy either. i later found out its up to the person doing the tint whether or not to cut around it unless you either take the rear deck out before or ask them specifically to tint the WHOLE window, it might have costed a little more though. i have learned to live with it and after about 2 years now it doesnt bother me like it used to. any pics of the tint? i cant wait to see your riv with those new 18s and now tint twisted
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Should have pics up by Sunday evening or mid-next week at the latest. Been wetsanding some more. Amazing how much better the car looks now after the WS and buffing. The driver side is almost done. Looks like an entirely different car! happy It's well worth the wait.... trust me. jump

I'm hoping to wash both Buicks and do a photoshoot at a nearby beach. Might make the girlfriend drive one... not sure if that's a great idea. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tinting behind third brake light?   Tinting behind third brake light? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tinting behind third brake light?
Page 1 of 1