Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Check Engine Light Codes

Go down 
+5
Snowdog
AA
deekster_caddy
albertj
Chroniica
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Check Engine Light Codes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check Engine Light Codes   Check Engine Light Codes - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Rickw wrote:
Has anyone removed the airbox cover (where your air filter is located) and left the connector to your Intake Air Sensor disconnected.
The Intake Air Sensor is mounted into the airbox, if it is left disconnected while you run the engine you will get this code.
You should not get a poor running engine from it, but who knows.
Stranger things have been known to happen!!!!

I did this inadvertently, it sets a code after the 2nd or 3rd start and runs like crap (think limp mode)

Albertj

PS to Lola: if you possibly can, get the spark plug wires at a GM (Buick) dealer near you. Other company's wires will not likely be so good or last as long -- but will cost about the same money. And be sure to keep and reuse the little metal tubes that are on the wires near the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by albertj on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Check Engine Light Codes   Check Engine Light Codes - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for confirmation on that.
I know on an 1994 Blazer i had it would immediately trip the light and run rough, but that was OBD1 without a MAF sensor.
So i didn't quite know how leaving the sensor disconnected on our vehicles would effect the way the engine ran.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Check Engine Light Codes   Check Engine Light Codes - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 9:06 pm

Yeah and I felt like such a DOPE when I did it, too. I had changed oil, and oil and air filters and just forgot to put the AF sensor back in the air box. Car sets a code, runs like poop. I take to deale in the morning, go to work. They call in less than an hour, "car's fixed." I ask what's wrong. Service advisor laughs, "We'll tell you when you get here..."

I forget what that service call cost me.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Check Engine Light Codes   Check Engine Light Codes - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 9:39 pm

It's not a matter of leaving the sensor and harness hooked up and not installed in the airbox, that won't trip the light.
It's when you disconnect the harness from the sensor and leave that disconnected for a few drive cycles that the PCM gets unhappy.

Last edited by Rickw on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chroniica
Rookie
Chroniica

Name : Lola Vallejo
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Check Engine Light Codes   Check Engine Light Codes - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 1:37 pm

albertj wrote:
Yeah and I felt like such a DOPE when I did it, too. I had changed oil, and oil and air filters and just forgot to put the AF sensor back in the air box. Car sets a code, runs like poop. I take to deale in the morning, go to work. They call in less than an hour, "car's fixed." I ask what's wrong. Service advisor laughs, "We'll tell you when you get here..."

I forget what that service call cost me.

Albertj

lol thats funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Check Engine Light Codes   Check Engine Light Codes - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Check Engine Light Codes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2