Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation

Go down 
+43
stan
charlieRobinson
joshuadalegrimes
llamalor2112
abaucom
al_roethlisberger
69GSColorado
BMD
ghpcnm
dboydakid
Eldo
vovchik
robotennis61
#1BearsFan
Rickw
LARRY70GS
Mr.Riviera
TonySmooth89
patillac
KillaKeninaRiv
ibmoses
ToledoRIv
sburch23
Kustom Kreationz
oldsman105
jimmyriv
IBx1
ewolfe0050
Natesriv
palermocorey90
mr.19982tone
Ridin-Rivi
robertwolf86
T Riley
turtleman
97rivman
AA
racinfan
xxsupergman25xx
SpaceBar
Jack the R
99Rivman
97Riv-Jon
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Fastenating videos. I like how the process seems to get into all the concave areas..

For years I had wanted to do a woodgrain dash. My thought was that I wanted Rosewood. All of the pictures I had seen with tan, maroon, black and taupe looked really great. However, I have a Midnight Blue Pearl with Medium Blue interior and I had seen other makes of cars with blue/wood that just did not look as good. More recently I posted a photo here of a Gen 1 Riviera with a brushed aluminum dash. This struck a chord with me as I learned to drive in a 63 LeSabre with an interior that looked virtually identical to it. So now I am thinking about the Brushed Aluminum look. I got the idea about 3M film looking on auto-trader where someone had covered the wood on their car (it was a BMW) with a 3M carbon fiber film. I agree that cutting out around the gauges would be problematic. However it may be that if the dash panel was off, you could start by covering the inside with the film. I would probably just paint it flat black like someone here did.

Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Riv_5118
Sherwood Kit http://www.americantorque.com/page/1/1189/

MaxLegroom likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 pm

ghpcnm wrote:
Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Riv_5118
Sherwood Kit http://www.americantorque.com/page/1/1189/

That looks good Dave. Our interiors are too bland IMO. Anything you do to break that up is going to be an improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks Larry and I agree with you. I think the Riv has a beautiful dash layout "with a little help" wink Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Riv_7_10
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 9:35 pm

Interior looks fantastic Dave, particularly the steering wheel wrap.
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks for posting the aluminum look.

I need to think about how to get the labels on it. Many years ago, I was an architecture student. We bought labeling sheets of pressure sensitive letters on them. They were available in different sizes, fonts and colors. They might need an overlay which would be OK on wood but probably not so good on metal images.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 pm

BMD wrote:
Interior looks fantastic Dave, particularly the steering wheel wrap.
Thanks...good to hear from you smile Can't believe I took that pic with a dirty carpet frown
Back to top Go down
69GSColorado
Fanatic
69GSColorado

Name : Jordon
Merit : 29

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 pm

In regards to the Sherwood kit, it says on their website that it is genuine carbon fiber. It's priced like it too! Here is pictures from a guy who installed the kit on his Charger. I think it looks pretty good, but I'm afraid it might be too glossy in the sunlight. Let me know what you think!

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f249/pics-carbon-fiber-interior-273155/
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 am

I see they're claiming it's real stuff. At $329 that's really not that bad a price. However, you should look through the first couple pages of this thread and get acquainted with how these kits are applied, and the fit & finish you can expect. Some have not been so happy, since you can see the old dash through the gaps, and since the kits are build to order they don't accept returns.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 am

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Riv_7_10

The Sherwood kits are great, no complaints here
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Has anyone used Mimousa?
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Long term durability and any blue interior examples?   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 6:41 pm

I'd be curious to know what the long term durability of these wood dash kits has proven to be.

I've had experience with wood kits with a Miata, and just over a couple years the clearcoat yellowed, scratched easily and the adhesive released at corners and bends. What's the verdict from owners who have had these kits installed for a few years?

I've read through the whole 16 page thread and it seems like the Sherwood kits are the best in this regard, but curious how even they have held up.

Also, a lot of the original posts have lost their image links, and I don't know if any of them were blue interiors. But I'd love to see any examples of Sherwood kits installed in a blue interior to see what color wood would look best.

Thanks,
Al
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:11 pm

I installed my Sherwood kit in September of 2009. It still looks as good as the day I installed it.

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 DashKit1

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 DashKit5

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 DashKit8

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 DashKit7

Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm

No problems here with Sherwood
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks. Anyone have any photos of a blue interior with a kit?

Al
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 8:57 am

My Sherwood kit was installed Aug. 2006 & still looks perfect.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 pm

al_roethlisberger wrote:
I'd be curious to know what the long term durability of these wood dash kits has proven to be.

I've had experience with wood kits with a Miata, and just over a couple years the clearcoat yellowed, scratched easily and the adhesive released at corners and bends. What's the verdict from owners who have had these kits installed for a few years?

I've read through the whole 16 page thread and it seems like the Sherwood kits are the best in this regard, but curious how even they have held up.

Also, a lot of the original posts have lost their image links, and I don't know if any of them were blue interiors. But I'd love to see any examples of Sherwood kits installed in a blue interior to see what color wood would look best.

Thanks,
Al
I installed my Sherwood kit in 2000 and it still looks good!

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 08410

I thought I had seen some examples of a Blue interior with a kit but can't remember for sure?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:31 pm

That DOES look good! What color is that??
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:57 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
That DOES look good! What color is that??
bow Thanks!

It is Dark Burlwood, I thought it would look good with the Black exterior and the light, Platinum Beige, interior. Some dark contrast to the bland design. There are a few more shots of it in my showroon thread.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Looks great! Thanks for the updated photos.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 am

Have any of you installed the "Graphic Color" Sherwood kits that have a faux printed wood grain?

They currently only offer Rosewood and Burl Walnut in genuine wood, but have many other nice faux wood finishes.

So I was wondering if the Sherwood faux wood finishes are as good quality? They are about $60 cheaper and have many more color and grain options.

Thanks
Al
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:00 pm

al_roethlisberger wrote:

Have any of you installed the "Graphic Color" Sherwood kits that have a faux printed wood grain?

They currently only offer Rosewood and Burl Walnut in genuine wood, but have many other nice faux wood finishes.

So I was wondering if the Sherwood faux wood finishes are as good quality? They are about $60 cheaper and have many more color and grain options.

Thanks
Al

I paid the higher price for the real wood. I looked at various cars with the fake stuff. The quality of the kits were just as good, I mean why wouldn't they be? To me, there was no comparison in appearance, but everyone has their own taste and preference. One thing is for certain, the Riv's interior begs for a dash kit. It is so bland otherwise. I get a ton of compliments on my interior.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 2:04 pm

I ordered a sample kit of 4 different sherwood colors. Cost $10 but at least im sure of what i want now.
I would be happy to mail someone the samples if they are looking at getting a kit. Just cover shipping and pass them along to the next member who needs them.
The colors i have are
(AJ) Majestic Burl
(N50) Real Walnut Burl
(CN) Lavishwood
(AZ) Villa Burl

Im liking the real walnut burl the best.
They all looked really different online, and had a redish tint to them in the pictures. but in reality they are all really close in color to each other.
Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Dsc_0310
Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Dsc_0311
And here they are next to the current wood kit in my car. (Replacing becasue it is starting to discolor in spots from age)
Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Dsc_0312

Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 pm

sneek peak

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 IMAG0042-1_zps5ac7e176

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 IMAG0043

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 IMAG0044

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 IMAG0042
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:04 pm

DUDE! Are those wrapped in carbon fiber or MADE out of carbon fiber?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next