Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rearview Mirror Face Detached

Go down 
+2
Rickw
ZEP
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

Rearview Mirror Face Detached Empty
PostSubject: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Hey everybody, I haven't posted here in a while (busy @ college mostly) but this past weekend, I got to go home and drive my Riv around again for the first time in a while.

I had put some subwoofers in the trunk several months ago and when I put them in, I realized how much they were seeming to shake my rearview... much more than what I knew they should for the level I had them.

I discovered back then that the front of my rearview has 2-3 clips broken off on the right side that hold the front of the mirror to the back black plastic part (If you don't know what I'm talking about, feel along the mirror's side and you will feel a seam there. There are two pieces, the actual mirror and the back). These broken clips are, for one, stuck in the mirror and rattle around in there and, two, have forced the mirror to separate from the back, causing it to rattle way more than it should, with a lot of noise to boot.

I tried gluing the parts back with Gorilla glue with little luck but a lot of mess. I also tried taking the front off but I didn't want to risk breaking more clips somehow.

So, I am wondering if anybody has any experience with what to do with a mirror with broken clips and an annoying shake. Even when I go over bumps pot-holes, it is almost impossible to see behind me when looking at it because of its vibrations. If anybody could help me with this predicament, I'd appreciate it. I hope I don't have to get a new mirror, and if I do, I wonder if the subs would cause the mirror to fall completely off the window (don't know how strong adhesives are these days)...

I should be posting more again soon anyways. My pop just bought a 95 riv that's never been out in the rain and looks brand new. Can't wait to put up pics!
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 8:35 pm

When i bought my car (used) it had some broken pieces on the Rearview mirror as well. After looking at it long and hard, I decided there wasn't anything I could do for a permanent fix that would stop the vibration of the mirror (without amps).
I ordered a used one from Morad's and have not had a problem since.
i don't remember paying a lot for a self dimming mirror with compass, etc.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 10:11 pm

That's good to know. My tint is dark enough such that I would not need a dimming mirror but I will look at his site. I might get myself an early Christmas present!
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 pm

My rearview mirror has the same problem with a rattling whenever my stereo is on. It's extremely annoying. I just have to hold the outercasing of the mirror and it stops. I'm wondering if I have some clips broken. I just turn the stereo up louder and ignore it. Hopefully it doesn't break the mirror or the dimming control.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:47 pm

ZEP wrote:
Hey everybody, I haven't posted here in a while (busy @ college mostly) but this past weekend, I got to go home and drive my Riv around again for the first time in a while.

I had put some subwoofers in the trunk several months ago and when I put them in, I realized how much they were seeming to shake my rearview... much more than what I knew they should for the level I had them.

I discovered back then that the front of my rearview has 2-3 clips broken off on the right side that hold the front of the mirror to the back black plastic part (If you don't know what I'm talking about, feel along the mirror's side and you will feel a seam there. There are two pieces, the actual mirror and the back). These broken clips are, for one, stuck in the mirror and rattle around in there and, two, have forced the mirror to separate from the back, causing it to rattle way more than it should, with a lot of noise to boot.

I tried gluing the parts back with Gorilla glue with little luck but a lot of mess. I also tried taking the front off but I didn't want to risk breaking more clips somehow.

So, I am wondering if anybody has any experience with what to do with a mirror with broken clips and an annoying shake. Even when I go over bumps pot-holes, it is almost impossible to see behind me when looking at it because of its vibrations. If anybody could help me with this predicament, I'd appreciate it. I hope I don't have to get a new mirror, and if I do, I wonder if the subs would cause the mirror to fall completely off the window (don't know how strong adhesives are these days)...

I should be posting more again soon anyways. My pop just bought a 95 riv that's never been out in the rain and looks brand new. Can't wait to put up pics!

I woudl just replace the mirror with a good used one. GM rearviews are not pricey in junkyards.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:56 pm

A junkyard would most likely be me best bet for finding one. I looked at Morad's listings and did not see any mirror with a compass, which I would like.

GMFreak8, you probably have the same problem that I do. Those clips can be very fragile.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:42 pm

ZEP wrote:
A junkyard would most likely be me best bet for finding one. I looked at Morad's listings and did not see any mirror with a compass, which I would like.

GMFreak8, you probably have the same problem that I do. Those clips can be very fragile.

You should always contact Morads directly. They don't list every part that they have.
Back to top Go down
duckstu

Name : Stuart
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:48 pm

I have a spare auto-dim rearview mirror. No compass.

I'll send it to you for $25. shipped.

Stuart.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:52 pm

ok

As you can see below the 98-99 differ from the other years. GM numbers: 25626744 is \'95-97 w/mirror & compass autodim; 25678861 95 - 99 autodim only; 10240815 95-99 manual day/nite; 25674636 is \'98 and \'99 autodim with compass. I suspect but don\'t know that the GM P/N is molded inconspicuously on the mirror somewhere, and a mirror from another GM vehicle same model year as yours is as likely as not to have the same P/N and plug and play just fine.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
duckstu

Name : Stuart
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:59 pm

I found this one on Ebay. Listed by Morad.

It says it's for a '95 - '99 Riv,..but the plugs on the back looks much different than the ones on the '96 and '97 cars I've seen.

Mine have a single 7 pin connctor on the back, just to the drivers' side at the bottom. The one Motorad lists has 2 smaller connectors in that same general location.

He lists it as having come off a '98. Perhaps the '98 - '99 different from the other years?

Here's the listing.
LINK
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 12:04 pm

I'm dealing with mine until the thing stops working properly or falls off. It just gives me an excuse to turn the music up louder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rearview Mirror Face Detached   Rearview Mirror Face Detached Empty

Back to top Go down

Rearview Mirror Face Detached
Page 1 of 1