Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION

Go down 
+7
duckstu
Eldo
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
1998 Riv
robotennis61
albertj
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Rickw wrote:
Eldo wrote:
Maybe this site doesn't keep it's "Add to Cart" buttons current, but if you change the year to '98, it also shows the inexplicably re-designed fillpipe assembly available as a kit of 4 parts: #29.
If when you click "Add to cart" and get nothing, it either indicates it out of stock or obsolete. Haven't figured out which one yet. Maybe one or both situations,IDK.
Maybe you can confirm this by knowing if these fill pipes are indeed still available and not obsolete yet.

I have tried adding some things to the cart and it does work, so I'm guessing it is a "not in stock" issue, as I've noticed some parts that are visible in the illustrated blow up by number are not referenced in the parts list at all. That would indicate to me an "Obsolete" item.

Actually, that website is slow/hinky a lot... I don't know if it's new/temporary, but I had a lot of troubles with different pages loading today. I was able to add that #29 to a cart, though.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Which web browser are you using.?
I'm using Firefox and have not had a problem with their site being slow at all.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm using FF, too, and that site was sluggish all day...
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 2:47 pm

albertj wrote:

PN for the mystery filler pipe: 25727011

Just ordered the fill pipe and grommet from monsterpartsonline. Pipe is $107.43, grommet is $4.36, shipping $12.30.

Called my local dealer first, current retail on the pipe is $203... I get about 25% off, still not a deal.

I hope to replace this in the next couple weeks, will post if any issues arise.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:46 pm

These items are $97 & $4 on GMPD, but their shipping charges probably eat up the cost difference.

Odd though, if I type in part # 25727011 it shows $125. But if I use their Parts Catalog search by model/year, it's $97.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:05 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
These items are $97 & $4 on GMPD, but their shipping charges probably eat up the cost difference.

Odd though, if I type in part # 25727011 it shows $125. But if I use their Parts Catalog search by model/year, it's $97.

When you put it in the shopping cart, is it the same P/N?

It would not surprise me if the parts jobbers who bought GM's obsolete NOS parts are now (finally) selling, nor would it surprise me that GMPD and Monster could get them for you.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 9:29 pm

The shopping cart does not show part numbers. If you have a good part # you can type it into the search, and it brings up the fuel system components with breakdowns, but there are no part numbers displayed. Even the completed order form does not show part numbers. Either method of finding this fill pipe, brings you to a 98-05 listing for this part.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 9:35 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
The shopping cart does not show part numbers. If you have a good part # you can type it into the search, and it brings up the fuel system components with breakdowns, but there are no part numbers displayed. Even the completed order form does not show part numbers. Either method of finding this fill pipe, brings you to a 98-05 listing for this part.

On Monster, yeah.

On GMPD the part numbers show up when you move your cart into checkout.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 pm

I wasn't ordering from GMPD so I never put them in the cart at the time. However, I did just try it now, and it does NOT show the part number for the fill pipe in their cart. I don't recall that it ever has in the past when I've ordered thru the catalog instead of by part #.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:33 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
I wasn't ordering from GMPD so I never put them in the cart at the time. However, I did just try it now, and it does NOT show the part number for the fill pipe in their cart. I don't recall that it ever has in the past when I've ordered thru the catalog instead of by part #.

With GMPD - You have to use the catalog to pick the items then in the shopping cart in the catalog hit "Submit Cart." The items in the catalog cart get submitted to the ordering engine and shown with P/Ns in the left column. (now I need Eldo's tongue-in-cheek icon --> ) My guess is one of a, b, or c: (a) you did NOT click on the Submit Cart caption or (b) I live in a parallel universe and am totally mistaken (c) something else happened. Or maybe GMPD shows you s different interface for some reason, in web programming that's not that tough to do although I'm not sure I would bother.

Anyway, I just did it--using the GMPD site and catalog lookup I got $69.64 as price for the filler hose for the 2000 PA, p/n 25727016, and the grommet 25696420 for $3.94. For the 1998 Riv corresponding parts I got p/n 25727015 $97.16 as the filler pipe and the stainless steel assembly that goes in the fender I got p/n 12399117 $88.22.

Bottom line for me is, this is definitely an order I'd have the GMPD folks verify before I pushed the Spend button... the diagrams in their catalog were the same for the 2000 PA and 98 Riv--and from firsthand experience I know there are differences.

Oh well.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 am

Right, I did not "submit" the cart, had no reason to, I wasn't buying there. I never do anymore because of their high shipping costs.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am

1998 Riv wrote:
Right, I did not "submit" the cart, had no reason to, I wasn't buying there. I never do anymore because of their high shipping costs.

Yeah, you have to submit the first cart but all that does is load stuff into a second cart, and the parts numbers all show up. You can then just 'empty cart' and it all goes away, or leave it alone and it all goes away eventually.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 3:23 pm

I ordered the fill pipe and grommet on 3/24 from MonsterPartsOnline. Finally contacted them a couple days ago to see what the ship status was... Their excuse: GM was supposed to drop ship it to me directly. Instead, they have a box sitting in the warehouse with these parts and no one could figure out who they belonged to. What a joke. I'd say everyone was too damn lazy to take the time to find an order in the computer. Geez, I'm sure GM included a packing slip that shows their order #. Pretty pissed about this, then they put it on the UPS slowboat 2 days ago, I won't get it til next Wed now. NOT happy with my first order with these guys. twak
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 4:44 pm

It's about time GM started dropshipping parts. Volvo (before Ford) did that, ti was great.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Except they DIDN"T do it in my case, as they were supposedly to do according to Monster anyway.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:18 pm

albertj wrote:

Anyway, I just did it--using the GMPD site and catalog lookup I got $69.64 as price for the filler hose for the 2000 PA, p/n 25727016, and the grommet 25696420 for $3.94. For the 1998 Riv corresponding parts I got p/n 25727015 $97.16 as the filler pipe .....

Parts finally showed up today from Monster. I don't recall that the part numbers were shown during the order process, though they may be on the order conf email I received, will check tomorrow. ANYWAY, oddly enough the packing slip shows the 98 Riviera part #'s that you list above, 25727015 for the pipe and 25696420 for the grommet, and the parts have GM tags with those numbers also. I specifically ordered the 98-05 PA parts, but got the Riv part #'s, that are supposedly not available. That's real odd.

Anyway, I'll have to find some time this spring to swap this. I didn't realize it was almost ALL plastic, there's only like a 1" steel cap on the fill end. Maybe this will fit w/o cutting off on the end, since it's the Riv p/n.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 pm

If only they had made ALL the salt-prone parts out of plastic...
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Ok, I went on the GMPD catalog and spec'd the 2000 PA fill pipe and submitted the cart, and it shows # 25727015, not 016. Tried the Riv fill pipe and it simply states it is not available and to contact them for help. So it appears this IS the PA pipe part #, not the Riv #.

Yeah, I'm wondering about clear coating the steel end cap, it will just rust again eventually.

Albert, I'm really curious about where you cut off your pipe end, as you state in the first post here. This pipe I have here has a swing check valve in the end, couldn't cut off more than maybe 1/2".

The PA pipe I got is about 2 1/2 ft long. Is that what you got? Or was it more like 1 1/2 ft? Mine has the hose fitted over the lower end of the pipe and clamped on in about the middle of it, at the top end of the hose. It's like radiator hose. The lower end of the hose also has a clamp molded onto it, but not tightened. I assume that is where I'll be taking the old pipe off the car, at that lower clamp.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:25 am

Went out with a flashlight to see what I could for now, and it looks like the same general fill pipe design/shape. I'm guessing I'll end up taking the lower pipe off the new one I have, and swapping just the upper pipe out. Looks like it should be a 2-piece assy if I remove the clamp in the middle holding the outer hose in place. Will post further when I find time to take the old pipe out.

EDIT: Hmm, I was wrong, the new fill pipe is a one-piece affair.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 am

I left the fill end (the part that goes in the fender) alone and trimmed the bottom. I also had to trim the plate that the pipe passes thru on the way to the tank. Take the plate out and it's easier to see how it goes it. If I had some time on my hands I'd of made up a new plate out of aluminum or plastic sheet stock and attached it with SS screws--I trimmed my plate and still don't like how it looks. A plastic plate like is used topass roof vents on a house would be nice but I could not see how to get it on the pipe without cutting in half and using a neoprene drain repair collar (household plumbing type) and at that point I figured I was being way too 'compulsive' and setting up another excuse for turning on the Check Engine light so I quit worrying about it and just installed the thing more or less whole.

That said, a solution might be to leave the lower part of the original pipe in place and attach the fender end of the PA pipe with neoprene repair collars

All that said - if you did not get the same PN I did, not sure what to do. maybe we can all help you if you post pix?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:22 pm

I'll try to get a pic of the new pipe tonight. Way too much going on these days but I'll see what I can do. I'm not all that concerned really, it shouldn't be difficult to make it work. I am puzzled about you trimming the bottom of the pipe. Did it not have a flapper/swing valve in the bottom end? Mine does, dang near right at the end of the pipe. Couldn't cut much off there without taking that out. I also wouldn't think the new and old would have to be the same length. There should be some room to play with between the gas cap and door. Not a lot, but maybe enough.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Here ya go:

Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 IMG_2002
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 2:02 am

You have to modify the end on the right in your pic. either cut it and couple it to the old filler or trim it a bit and put it in place, realizing that you will also have to cut out a big chunk of that trim plate in the wheel well (I did the latter)

Albertj
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 10:32 am

Ok, thanks. I'm sure it will all be clear enough once I dig into it.

What is the reason to enlarge the hole in the cover plate? The pipe appears to be similar diameter. Or is it shaped differently enough that it aligns differently passing thru the hole? Should be a minor issue to deal with regardless.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 11:49 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Ok, thanks. I'm sure it will all be clear enough once I dig into it.

What is the reason to enlarge the hole in the cover plate? The pipe appears to be similar diameter. Or is it shaped differently enough that it aligns differently passing thru the hole? Should be a minor issue to deal with regardless.

It aligns differently passing through the inner fender.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION   Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel filler tube discontinued - SOLUTION
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next