Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

no start - flooded

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SupersportSteve
Amateur

Name : Steve
Merit : 2

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 pm

My wife went to start the Riv in the morning and it wouldn't start. When I looked at it, the supercharger bypass valve actuator had come apart and I smelled gas. It looked like some gas was on the back of the intake. I got a new actuator, put it on, checked for a gas leak with the key on, and tried it. It cranked and sputtered, but wouldn't start. I pulled a plug and it was soaked with gas. I bought a set of plugs, replace 4 of them (I couldn't get the other 2 wires off) and tried it again - no luck. It sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. I pulled one of the plugs that I just put in and it was soaked with gas. Still no visible gas leak, where did the gas on the intake come from? I'm doing all of this in my driveway in 20 degree weather. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.csb25.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi Steve,
Fuel leaks externally are probably caused by a split in the nylon supply line. Follow the fuel line from the steel line near the brake booster to the top of the supercharger. That nylon could be split.

As to the flooded situation, that could be a different issue. Holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking should enable 'clear flood' mode and shut off the fuel injectors.
Back to top Go down
SupersportSteve
Amateur

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:04 pm

I've replaced the nylon lines last summer. If there was an external leak, wouldn't I see it with the key on?

Also, holding my foot to the floor had no effect on how often it sputtered. Thanks for your reply.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:07 pm

WHere is the gas?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:09 pm

You mention the SC Bypass valve was apart.??
How did this come apart, any pic's???
Do you have a problem with your fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail itself.
Have you been able to check fuel pressure at the fitting on the Fuel Rail.?
Back to top Go down
SupersportSteve
Amateur

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:42 am

The gas was pooled in a valley at the rear of the intake.
The actuator itself separated, causing a vacuum leak.
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure, but I do suspect the pressure regulator. Is my next step checking the fuel pressure? Maybe I can borrow a gauge from a friend.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:02 am

Steve, what year is your car. Please add it to your signature, it could be critically important in answering your questions.
Back to top Go down
SupersportSteve
Amateur

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:09 am

It's a 1996 supercharged Riv. I'll add it to my signature.....thanks Derek.
Back to top Go down
SupersportSteve
Amateur

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:10 am

Update: fuel pressure regulator fixed the problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

no start - flooded Empty
PostSubject: Re: no start - flooded   no start - flooded Empty

Back to top Go down

no start - flooded
Page 1 of 1