Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems

Go down 
+36
matt270avian
98riv
Rivit
Lmck3
artlock
brutusk1
ythtok
KingHill97Riv
Pipes
Riv95SC
moldymac
ibmoses
99Rivman
95ParkAveUltra
Z-type
T Riley
Rickw
Mikel
joeliop
Jack the R
deekster_caddy
Mr.Riviera
Eldo
millerje18
playa
AA
1973gs464
manofmany
TonySmooth89
albertj
jdbell2004
Dj Brady
96RIVMANN
Chicken
robotennis61
jrockstangs
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:17 pm

Check alignment of the trunk lid and the rubber gasket around it.

Check rear quarter windows.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:45 am

Rear window seal. Don't know why, but from the factory, the rear window leaks eventually. Any window place can reseal for less than $100 easy. My used to have same problem till I had that fixed
Back to top Go down
1973gs464
Special

Name : Steve
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 6:45 pm

Thank You everyone for your input. I will dig a little deeper this weekend and let you all know what I find.

Steve
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

Name : Jordan
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 5:21 pm

When i drive in the rain or if my car is parked in the rain, water builds up above the top seem of the window and slowly drips off the cloth interior and onto my left leg. this only occurs on the driver side.

anyone relate? haha

how can i fix this?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Is the water coming in with the window closed, or only after you've opened the door or window? We all have the same problem in that the aerodynamics and the wiper pattern tend to send water right to the top of the driver's window...
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 6:49 pm

i've never had any water come into my car in the rain. i use enough rain-x that the water beads off before getting larger than a pin head lol

maybe your door is misaligned.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 7:16 pm

How does the soft rubber cushion feel that the window closes against when you close the door/raise the window? Is the window getting caught on the hard plastic lip above the weatherstrip? Is the window touching the weatherstrip when it's closed? You can re-soften the wweatherstrip a little with silicone spray (spray on towel, wipe onto weatherstrip), but the window has to be making good contact to seal. I know there is an adjustment somewhere inside the door to correct this, but I've never had to look for it.
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Eldo wrote:
Is the water coming in with the window closed, or only after you've opened the door or window? We all have the same problem in that the aerodynamics and the wiper pattern tend to send water right to the top of the driver's window...

no when the window is closed the water still seems to come in.
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 8:29 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
How does the soft rubber cushion feel that the window closes against when you close the door/raise the window? Is the window getting caught on the hard plastic lip above the weatherstrip? Is the window touching the weatherstrip when it's closed? You can re-soften the wweatherstrip a little with silicone spray (spray on towel, wipe onto weatherstrip), but the window has to be making good contact to seal. I know there is an adjustment somewhere inside the door to correct this, but I've never had to look for it.

no it seals pretty good with the lip completely over it. .the rain doesnt leave a trail coming from the window; the trail begins in the middle of the lining. its hard to explain, ill try to post a pic b4 tonight ends.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 8:56 pm

It's not right at least.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 7:44 am

Have you ever had your windshield replaced?
Back to top Go down
joeliop
Amateur
joeliop

Name : joelio
Merit : -1

PostSubject: sunroof?   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 3:10 pm

does it have a sunroof? i know that in extreme temps the seal expands or contracts enough to let water in and drip on my seat, but that was in a 90 regal coupe. needs a newer seal in my case
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 1:25 am

joeliop wrote:
does it have a sunroof? i know that in extreme temps the seal expands or contracts enough to let water in and drip on my seat, but that was in a 90 regal coupe. needs a newer seal in my case

Good thought. There are 4 drain hoses running to each corner of the roof, too...
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 10:43 am

deekster_caddy wrote:

My sunroof is fine.
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 am

Eldo wrote:
joeliop wrote:

Good thought. There are 4 drain hoses running to each corner of the roof, too...

If that were true it would be the front left side. How do i check if the drain hose is in perfect condition.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 5:10 pm

millerje18 wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

My sunroof is fine.

I mean the glass in front of you, that the wipers go back and forth on wink

I had mine replaced and the insurance co. would only pay for this funny shaped narrow gasket that just wouldn't stay in place. I ended up having the windshield replaced 3 times before they got it right (after I paid for and handed them the Buick gasket)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Using a strip of paper or a string (not a rope) check whether the trunk lid is closing properly.

You may need to adjust the trunk hinges (Riv uses an adjustable hinge) or replace the trunk weatherstrip. What happens is as you drive the air rushing over the trunk will cause it to lift at the leading edge (by the rear window), letting water in. When you are not moving, it closes and seems sealed for the most part. When it rains hard and/or is maybe windy water gets in.

Do not be afraid to ask an independent body shop about this - to check the opening or adjust it. I don't recall reading in the owners manual how to adjust the trunk hinges.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 12:31 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
millerje18 wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

My sunroof is fine.

I mean the glass in front of you, that the wipers go back and forth on wink

I had mine replaced and the insurance co. would only pay for this funny shaped narrow gasket that just wouldn't stay in place. I ended up having the windshield replaced 3 times before they got it right (after I paid for and handed them the Buick gasket)

lol. o no i didnt get that replaced. it has small chip in windshield. but nothing wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
millerje18
Enthusiast
millerje18

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 12:33 am

albertj wrote:
Using a strip of paper or a string (not a rope) check whether the trunk lid is closing properly.

You may need to adjust the trunk hinges (Riv uses an adjustable hinge) or replace the trunk weatherstrip. What happens is as you drive the air rushing over the trunk will cause it to lift at the leading edge (by the rear window), letting water in. When you are not moving, it closes and seems sealed for the most part. When it rains hard and/or is maybe windy water gets in.

Do not be afraid to ask an independent body shop about this - to check the opening or adjust it. I don't recall reading in the owners manual how to adjust the trunk hinges.

Albertj

thanks a lot!! ill make sure i check that.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 12:45 am

millerje18 wrote:
If that were true it would be the front left side. How do i check if the drain hose is in perfect condition.

With all the trouble I had with the dealer-installed sunroof in my Cadillac, I'm not suggesting that you do this without exhausting all other possibilities... Perhaps the wind is forcing the water up and around the back of the window weatherstripping - only you know exactly where it happens unless you can give us a picture...

Having said that, the left-front hose from the moonroof does travel from the corner of the moonroof to the A-pillar and down the front fender, dumping either in the engine compartment or behind the wheelhouse. The big headache to check it is that you have to remove the headliner to see everything... Below I'm attaching two sections of the shop manual that deal with removing the headliner:

The formed headliner is of modular construction. The formed headliner is attached to the roof with the following components:

* The magnets
* The sunshade supports
* The rail mounted courtesy/reading lamps
* The coat hooks (if equipped)
* The adhesive (vehicles without a sunroof)

In order to remove the formed headliner, remove the following components:

* The front pillar moldings
* The center pillar moldings
* The quarter panel trim
* The upper portion of the weatherstrip around the door openings

In order to service the overhead storage compartment, remove lens and the lamp bezel.

The following roof attachments are secured with screws that thread into metal clips:

* The sunshades
* The assist handles
* The coat hooks

The metal clips snap into the roof panel. Inspect the metal clips when you remove the roof attachments from the roof. Replace any damaged metal clips.

The other section is as follows:

Use care when removing or installing the headliner. Excessive bending will damage the headliner.

1. Remove the shoulder belt bolts from the B-pillar.
2. Remove the upper B-pillar trim.
3. Remove the courtesy lamp.
4. Remove the front upper pinchweld lace.
5. Remove the windshield garnish molding. (Pulling carefully...)
6. Remove the rear sail panels. Requires a trim-clip removal tool to release 2 retainers, and then pulling upward and forward to disengage the lower tangs...

# Remove the assist handle screws and their electrical connectors.
# Disconnect the electrical connectors to the following components:

* The headliner harness
* The courtesy lamp
* The sunshade (4)

# Remove the sunshades and their brackets and connectors.
# Remove the map light bezel.
# Disconnect the electrical connectors from the mirror and the map light.
# Remove the rearview mirror.
# Lower the front seat backs.
# With the aid of an assistant, remove the headliner (1) through the passenger door.

If you actually have to go thru this procedure, I can post some of the diagrams from the manual on my Flickr page...
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Wet passenger side carpet   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Hello,
I just noticed that the carpet under the front passenger side seat (foot area) is drenched. It hasn't rained in a while. I'm wondering if it's condensation from the A/C. This car doesn't seem to drip water when the A/C is on... Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mikel
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 5:34 pm

does your car have sunroof?

albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes, the drain hose for the AC, that allows the condensate to drip outside the car is most probably plugged and now the HVAC plenum is filling with water and leaking into the passenger compartment.
Need to find the rubber nipple outside the cabin, under the passenger to middle of the car near the firewall and run some wire or coat hanger up through it gently to clear it out.
I have seen some cars where this rubber nipple is missing altogether.
Find where the water comes out on your Riv, then look at your buddy's, to help you find the location of the drain.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Rickw wrote:
Yes, the drain hose for the AC, that allows the condensate to drip outside the car is most probably plugged and now the HVAC plenum is filling with water and leaking into the passenger compartment.
Need to find the rubber nipple outside the cabin, under the passenger to middle of the car near the firewall and run some wire or coat hanger up through it gently to clear it out.
Find where the water comes out on your Riv, then look at your buddy's, to help you find the location of the drain.

It looks like a duck sex toy just ask chicken lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Rickw wrote:

Will do. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems   FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Wet Carpet - Interior Leak Problems
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next