Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Pulling a dent!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

Pulling a dent! Empty
PostSubject: Pulling a dent!   Pulling a dent! EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:26 am

the day i got my Riv some tool drove into my car in the carpark and left a nice little ding in the passenger rear wing infront of the wheel :-

Pulling a dent! S1030041

So i thorght ide give "pops - a - dent" a go....

Pulling a dent! S1030042

Basicly you attach these feet to the centre of the dent with hot glue then attach the white clamp screw it tight and wait a few seconds as it breaks loose. !!!

Pulling a dent! S1030044

after many (4/5) pulls the skin actually flattens out with some good results. I had a problem in that i didnt have any alchol to remove the glue from the wing and carb cleaner removes paint and the hot glue!

Pulling a dent! S1030045

Not perfect but a lot flatter and with a small amount of paint blow its as good as new.

If your paints not cracked and there are no creases this bit of kit seems a good gadget, if only to get you out the house for a few hours.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Pulling a dent! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling a dent!   Pulling a dent! EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:40 am

Just so you know Nigel, Brake Clean won't hurt your paint or clear coat for removing the hot glue residue. It will remove the wax on the paint obviously.
So you can clean it with that if you need to and then just touch up the area with a little wax before your done.
There are many specialty chemicals, one that I use is 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, but it comes in one quart can for a little more than $10.00. Not worth it unless you use it all the time.
Just use a little brake clean and wax.
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

Pulling a dent! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling a dent!   Pulling a dent! EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:45 am

ok i will get some of that there brake clean ... the carb clean is nearly empty anyway.... was real good weather and sun was on the right side of car so metalwork was nice and toasty.

Is there a recomended place to to get paint from if i were in the uk ide know where to go.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Pulling a dent! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling a dent!   Pulling a dent! EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:57 am

Whenever I need paint, either a large quantity or a small bottle for touch up or even a spray can made up specially for my paint code, I have found a place in the next town over from me that does this sort of work.
They supply the local body shops with supplies and paint.
They also cater to walk ins like you and me that may only need a spray can of the exact GM code paint or a small touch up bottle with a brush in it. They make it while i wait if there not busy.
Good place to have around to do quality work on your own and in my case one of the largest body shop - collision places around happens to be right across the street. So when I need to get work done beyond my capabilities I've been going there with excellent results.
happy with both places.
I found this small place by looking in the yellow pages for automotive paint and say in their ad that they made up spray cans and touch-up paint.
Been going there ever since for sand paper and anything else auto body related.
Good luck and hope you find the same kind of store.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pulling a dent! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling a dent!   Pulling a dent! Empty

Back to top Go down

Pulling a dent!
Page 1 of 1