Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature Empty
PostSubject: Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature   Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 11:20 am

I wanted to report my trans fluid temps yesterday on a 240 mile round trip:

Peak 172ºF @ 70ºF (day) avg ambient temp, TCC lock-up at 55-70 mph for 2.5 hours

Peak 160ºF @ 60ºF (night) avg ambient temp, TCC lock-up at 55-70 mph for 2.5 hours

Temps were measured with ~180º coolant temps, no external trans cooler.

Just posting for future reference, should anyone want to know.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Hometown Hero
Junkie
Hometown Hero

Name : Klix
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature   Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 11:52 am

I just did a tranny filter change 2 days ago in the 95. Started running that newer Quaker State Semi synthetic ATF part #11083. I was really impressed with the way it shifts now, idk if its the new style oil so much as it just needing to be serviced but what came out was actually very clean. So for now I will credit the new ATF lol. At least I'll sleep bettr for paying the extra $ that way.
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature   Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 pm

What is the normal temp range for the 4T60-e (stock Riv)?

What is the max temp for the same tranny?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature   Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:24 pm

With a stock 195-degree thermostat and no external cooler, that's pretty much going to be the minimum temperature you see after driving for a while in mild weather... I suppose that a 'normal' max would be about 215 to 220 degrees. Any sustained use above that temperature and your fluid is going to burn out before your 30,000-mile change (and a normal change only gets about half the fluid out anyway.)

These are only guidelines of course. I would guess that the biggest variables to the 'rules' are the location of the temp-sensor in each tranny, and the different types of fluids & the possible synthetic blends...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature   Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission Oil - Fluid Temperature
Page 1 of 1