Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Open Source Engine Diagnostics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Open Source Engine Diagnostics Empty
PostSubject: Open Source Engine Diagnostics   Open Source Engine Diagnostics EmptySun May 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Saw this on Slashdot today -

Quote :
slaxx writes "As an avid tinkerer, I really want to collect as much data about my car as possible. Using On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) sounded great to me, but the pricetags of systems like AutoTap Scanner are a bit much for my college budget to handle. Are there any free, open source solutions available? What do Slashdotters do to tinker and record the inner workings of their own vehicles?"

link

It's going to take a while to work through the responses, but it looks like there's several options out there. Maybe none are good, maybe they are.

A couple things I found that look promising -

EasyOBDII.com Free software download, Windows/Mac only.

USB/CAN adaptor A high quality dongle? The /. thread suggests dongles can be had for less than $30 on eBay.

DIYEFI.org Open Source engine management. No idea how far along they are.

edit - looking through some more -

A $45 OBDII dongle and basic code reading software. There's also a $13 OBDII extension cable

PyDB2

The PyDB2 package provides a Python DB API 2.0 interface to IBM's DB2 database management system. The package also includes various tools for working with DB2.

ELM327 USB Vehicle OBD-2 Scanner Tool - $30

ElmScan 5 Compact Scan Tool - $60
Back to top Go down

Open Source Engine Diagnostics
Page 1 of 1