Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

mystery box under hood

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

Name : Jeff Del Vechio
Merit : 4

mystery box under hood Empty
PostSubject: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi all.... Ive been perplexed by a small metal box under the front passenger side engine bay on my 95...

-Located near the passenger side headlight, next to the fuse/relay box
- Its about 2" tall, 2" wide, 3"long, painted black
-it has a flex-shield covered wire going into it that appears to be permanently mounted. I cant remove the wire without great force (I havent tried)
-weighs about 3 pounds... like its a transformer
-mine is VERY rusty... like its promoting galvanic corrosion.
-Mine is not bolted down to the chassis

Anyone have any idea what this thingy is? and what it does?

thanks

Jeff

Last edited by jeffyd123 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi Guys... No One is responding back to me... are you guys mad at me??? LOL

anyway, I put up some pics of the mystery box.... It is magnetic so I imagine its a transformer.. The wire on it is very short and this is as far as I could pull it out.

Hope to hear an answer...

thanks!!

Jeff

mystery box under hood Thingy2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mystery box under hood Thingy3

mystery box under hood Thingy4

mystery box under hood Thingy1

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 7:28 pm

scratch You sure no one ever tried putting HID headlamps in there?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 7:29 pm

I can't recognize it.
Could it be one of those aftermarket devices meant to act as an Anode to attract corrosion with the belief that your chassis wont corrode as long as these units are installed.
I've seen them advertised and even sold by Dealers as a corrosion protection system.
Never really saw one up close though.

I don't know just a stab in the dark. And since it appears to be corroding and nothing around is corroded who knows.

Follow the wiring as best you can and see where it leads you to.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 pm

agree
a corrosion inhibitor would be my first guess.

Back to top Go down
jeffyd123
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 8:01 pm

that is a really good idea (corrosion resistance) . My car has no body rust at all even though there is a lot of rust on the rear cross member and the rear trunk lid is rusted through.

I was thinking HID lamps too but I have regular lights as far as i know.

so its good to hear its nothing important.... hopefully. my car has had electrical gremlins lately.

thanks a lot for the answers guys... good to hear from you.

jeff
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 8:31 pm

If that little box is supposed to be a corrosion prohibiter, it has nothing to do with your car being rust free. Cathodic protection does not work on automobiles, so consider it "snake oil" product. The technology was created for use on boats bridges, and buildings, all of which do not roll on rubber tires.

If you find out this is truly supposed to be the box's function, toss it overboard! It's just 3 lb of useless weight!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 8:45 pm

If it is one of those "Corrosion Inhibitors" you will probably find one or more mounted to the steel chassis.

I agree with the snake oil statement, I was just pointing out to him that such devices are sold to the unscrupulous at the Dealers.
Just another add on profit generator.

They are quite successful selling them to older folks who live either up north where salt is used in the winter or if they live on the ocean,
And god forbid live up North on the Ocean. You can sell these to almost every new car customer at a BUICK Dealership.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mystery box under hood   mystery box under hood Empty

Back to top Go down

mystery box under hood
Page 1 of 1