Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Smoky Engine

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
3.8 Riviera
Amateur
3.8 Riviera

Name : Tyre
Merit : 1

Smoky Engine Empty
PostSubject: Smoky Engine   Smoky Engine EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 12:29 pm

I have a 1997 Riviera and I notice that the smoking under the hood is getting worse. When I use the a/c i can smell the burning smell of oil through the vents. I also notice the exhaust is somewhat smoky but i'm not sure if that is caused by the engine. Do you guys have any solutions, repair costs, or tips to get my car up to par?
Smoky Engine 100_1310
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Smoky Engine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoky Engine   Smoky Engine EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 3:36 pm

First, wash the engine. There is a more detailed post about that somewhere around here, but the main idea is that you get an engien wash that you can use - maybe Gunk, Simple Green, Purple Power or what have you, and follow their directions for cleaning the engine. A household cleaning brush on a handle (think vegetable brush) or an engine brush (try your local NAPA) is needed to scrub the cleaner into the grime so it will rinse off. Cover the alternator, coilpack, and wiring connectors with bits of foil.

While you are cleaning look for places oil woudl get on teh exhaust manifold or crosspipe, as well as for places coolant might be leaking (the supercharger tensioner) in case what you are seeing is steam not oil (this is just in case, I doubt it since you said you smelld it but it won't hurt to check as long as you are under there).

Second, odds are this is a lower intake manifold leak, a DIY but time consuming repair. You will be able to tell after the cleanup. There is info on the site about that, should that be the case.

Back to top Go down

Smoky Engine
Page 1 of 1