Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Northeast

Name :
Merit : 1

Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger Empty
PostSubject: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Anyone here using heater cores instead of intercoolers for FMHE in their SSIC setup? Have you had much success?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 3:34 pm

interesting idea? do they make heater cores that can handle the volume necessary for a s/c?
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm

oh, not sure I knew there was a volume requirement. Good question. I was even thinking about stacking 2 of them, but am also aware I'd need cores with very little restriction, bends, etc.

Whats the average volume requirement to cool sufficiently? Do you happen to know?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 4:45 pm

nope. but i do know that the openings of the average intercooler are alot larger than your average heatercore.
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 5:40 pm

Whats the typical FMHE in/outlets 3/4"? A heater core is 5/8". So about 1/8" difference. I think a Cadillac heater core has the 3/4 fittings.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 6:05 pm

no kiddin? well then...give it a shot. arnt heater cores pretty small though?
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 12:54 pm

They vary. Caddy Fleetwood is around 10.12 x 5.62 x 2 in (for just one). Run 2 of these and it appears to me that it would work, and your only looking at about $40.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 2:02 am

I don't have a ton of experience with ICing but when we installed a SSIC onto Manuels car with a full size (zzp stage 2) front heat exchanger, the front mount still got uncomfortably hot to the touch pretty quick as the car warmed up. For that reason, I'd say bigger the better on the front mount pretty much no matter what.

The SSIC core runs 1/2-5/8 hoses so that's right about in typical heater core territory. You wouldn't be running big 3/4 hoses on a SSIC.
Back to top Go down
Northeast

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 10:55 am

turtleman wrote:
when we installed a SSIC onto Manuels car with a full size (zzp stage 2) front heat exchanger, the front mount still got uncomfortably hot to the touch pretty quick as the car warmed up.

Thanks man. So you are saying that during just the idle/warm up, the intake air was hot enough to warm the water in the intercooler to the point where the actual intercooler was hot to the touch? WOW, I figured maybe it would get a little warm under heavy boost driving, but not from just the warm up. Thats crazy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger   Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger Empty

Back to top Go down

Heater Core for IC Heat Exchanger
Page 1 of 1