Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Electrical Problem

Go down 
+4
charlieRobinson
Mr.Riviera
albertj
98riv
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Electrical Problem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electrical Problem   Electrical Problem - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:45 pm

bigdave wrote:
Ignition switch makes sense since he seams to have lost power to systems that need the key in run position to operate. You may be able to duplicate the problem by wiggling the key just a little with the car running. I would check connections for corrosion and looseness. Has anyone ever seen an intermittent problem with our ignition switches? I'm leaning toward a bad connection at one of the large electrical connections such as battery cables, 12v junction block under hood or at starter, and all grounds. Intermittent problems can drive you crazy. Good luck my man!

Yes I had an intermittent with my ignition switch. Dealer mechanic recognized it because the switch is the same as the one used in the S10 and there had been a service bulletin (for the S10) and the dealership had fixed a number of them with the same problem, i was told. They confirmed the problem, however, by using a gadget made of a couple LEDs and some wires, we called it a "telltale," that had come as part of the install pack from some now-defunct aftermarket alarm system. What you did was connected the LEDs to the ignition power and injector pulse and when the car quit look at the state of the LEDs - basically depending on the state of the lights you could tell if the ig switch was cutting out , if the ig module had gone bad, or if there was a coil fault. I think the nuts of it is that unlie some other dealerships this one has some real "gearheads" in the service bays.

I think it is safe to say that the ig switch ought to be replaced between 125 and 175 K miles as PM. I understand that the replacements are no better (and no worse) and will, as likely as not, quit at about the same interval as the initial replacement.

Just saying.

Albertj
Back to top Go down

Electrical Problem
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2